Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
i actually really like ffx. but that was the last one. i hated the way ff12 played and the levelling up system was nonsensical. final fantasy just got worse and worse with every instalment.

I've always admitted that I liked FFX...the game was rock solid, the story was well done, the battle system was great...and even the grid sphere was a great design.

The voice acting was corny...but seriously...many games with voice acting are corny.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I've always admitted that I liked FFX...the game was rock solid, the story was well done, the battle system was great...and even the grid sphere was a great design.

The voice acting was corny...but seriously...many games with voice acting are corny.

ffx blew me away with its visuals, sound track and atmosphere. i always liked the story and characters and never really had a problem with the voice acting. it's actually one of my favourite ps2 rpg's.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I love FFX too, even spend 20 hours playing Blitzball to get the ultimate weapon. That was the worst, but the game is amazing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I love FFX too, even spend 20 hours playing Blitzball to get the ultimate weapon. That was the worst, but the game is amazing.

Blitzball was freaking terrible...thankfully, it seemed like the game's designers knew this and only forced you to play it once.

I'll say it again, the grid sphere is, to this day, my favorite "level" system from any RPG. It worked so well and allowed you to customize any character later on in the game.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Yeah the system has like 5-10 games that people argue over best of all time. Not many systems can say that.

QFT. I always believed that if you take the Super Nintendo’s 11th-20th best games, it would stack up well against any other system’s top 10. That’s how crazy good its library is. And yes, the top 10 SNES games overall are some of gaming’s finest, period.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
QFT. I always believed that if you take the Super Nintendo’s 11th-20th best games, it would stack up well against any other system’s top 10. That’s how crazy good its library is. And yes, the top 10 SNES games overall are some of gaming’s finest, period.
I agree completely if you're comparing SNES against any other system up to that point. But it's kind of ridiculous to say SNES's 20th best game stacks up well next to Ocarina of Time, Silent Hill 2, MGS3, Arkham City, Jet Set Radio, etc., etc., etc.

SNES has a crazy-strong library no question, but let's not let nostalgia overwhelm you completely.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I agree completely if you're comparing SNES against any other system up to that point. But it's kind of ridiculous to say SNES's 20th best game stacks up well next to Ocarina of Time, Silent Hill 2, MGS3, Arkham City, Jet Set Radio, etc., etc., etc.

SNES has a crazy-strong library no question, but let's not let nostalgia overwhelm you completely.

You made some good points. I should clarify. The SNES' 11-20th best games rank extremely well against any other system's top 10 up to the mid '90s.

However, I still feel their top 11-20th best games still stack up (relatively) well against any other system's top 10, especially if we're looking at it as comparing another system's #1 to the SNES' 11th best, #2 to #12 and so on until we get to #10 and #20.

For argument's sake, and it's super subjective, but here are 30 quality SNES games in no order

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. Super Metroid
3. EarthBound
4. Super Mario All-Stars
5. Terranigma
6. Chrono Trigger
7. Final Fantasy III
8. Super Mario World
9. Yoshi’s Island
10. Super Mario Kart
11. Super Mario RPG
12. Contra III: The Alien Wars
13. Mega Man X
14. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
15. Seiken Densetsu 3
16. Super Castlevania IV
17. Super Street Fighter 2 (or Turbo)
18. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time
19. Final Fantasy II
20. Donkey Kong Country 2
21. Kirby SuperStar
22. Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts
23. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
24. Legend of the Mystical Ninja
25. Secret of Mana
26. ActRaiser
27. Tetris Attack
28. International SuperStar Soccer Deluxe
29. Any Super Bomberman title
30. NBA Jam TE

Note: Some might sub out some of those choices for PilotWings, Sunset Riders, Axelay, Space MegaForce or any other insane variety of games.

Mega Man X is one of the best action games ever made IMHO, and it's arguable that it's not even in the top 10 SNES games but rather somewhere in that 11-15 range. I would confidently stack up Mega Man X against other system's top 10 games. Sure it's a little light on difficulty but the way the game flows and how little it holds your hand... very few games since have been able to match its sheer brilliance.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

I agree, the SNES was the most diverse console of that gen...as was the PS1, and PS2. All three had massive libraries covering any type of game one would want to play.

After that, I stopped paying attention...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I was gonna argue the graphics were a little more timeless on SNES, as seen by the incredible amount of chunky pixel indie games.
The problem is minecraft, which just screams PSX era games. There's a ton of low poly voxel indie games that resemble PS1. Those games are influenced more by minecraft than PS1 nostalgia, but that argument would happen anyways.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I was gonna argue the graphics were a little more timeless on SNES, as seen by the incredible amount of chunky pixel indie games.
The problem is minecraft, which just screams PSX era games. There's a ton of low poly voxel indie games that resemble PS1. Those games are influenced more by minecraft than PS1 nostalgia, but that argument would happen anyways.

I've always broke down 2D vs 3D in my mind. The 16-bit era wasn't the absolute peak of 2D gaming, but it was getting close. I think that's why 16-bit games have aged so well. Super early 3D (think Star Fox), looks as shitty as super early 2D (2600'ish). The PS1 has some titles that now are nearly unplayable, they look so bad. I was discussing FF VII elsewhere, I can't bring myself to play the original, anything 3D is just awful to look at.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've always broke down 2D vs 3D in my mind. The 16-bit era wasn't the absolute peak of 2D gaming, but it was getting close. I think that's why 16-bit games have aged so well. Super early 3D (think Star Fox), looks as shitty as super early 2D (2600'ish). The PS1 has some titles that now are nearly unplayable, they look so bad. I was discussing FF VII elsewhere, I can't bring myself to play the original, anything 3D is just awful to look at.

dont worry, you'll have the new episodic FF7 which definitely won't suck (/sarcasm)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

If you're playing FF7 in 2018 you should check out the current PS4 version. It's probably the same on PC and Android. It's not a full remake but 3d assets and text are rendered at higher resolution, it has an interesting look to it.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Super Ghouls 'N Ghosts is terrible. Maybe if you run it on an emulator with an arbitrarily-fast CPU, it would suck less. (Or was there some re-issue that fixed the consistently awful performance?)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'm playing through Super Metroid right now with my 6 year old. I got a cheap Metroid shirt over the holidays and he kept asking about it. He's super into it and it's been the first thing he talks about off the bus lately. I forgot how good it is.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Not my favorite (I prefer SMW and LttP personally) but it's a perfectly solid choice.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I'm playing through Super Metroid right now with my 6 year old. I got a cheap Metroid shirt over the holidays and he kept asking about it. He's super into it and it's been the first thing he talks about off the bus lately. I forgot how good it is.

Fucking awesome.