Video issues on 4 slot

brad808

n00b
Has anybody seen this type of issue before? Basically when switching games or on power up I'll get sever discoloration on each side of the video output. Appears to be a board issue (monitor tests fine, other 4 slot tests fine, etc), potentially a bad connection or solder joint as it does appear to go away or greatly diminished after time. When left on the same game often times it will go away then switching will bring it back. Just not familiar with 4 slot boards yet so looking for specific areas to narrow my search. Thanks
562c4c201879dccb4cb763531074b217.jpg

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Has anybody seen this type of issue before? Basically when switching games or on power up I'll get sever discoloration on each side of the video output. Appears to be a board issue (monitor tests fine, other 4 slot tests fine, etc), potentially a bad connection or solder joint as it does appear to go away or greatly diminished after time. When left on the same game often times it will go away then switching will bring it back. Just not familiar with 4 slot boards yet so looking for specific areas to narrow my search. Thanks
562c4c201879dccb4cb763531074b217.jpg

I’ve seen that before but it was always a monitor issue not a board issue . I’m assuming you tried another board in the same cab and have zero issues with color discoloration? If it’s a board issue I have no suggestions but I would try to rule any cab issue to be safe. Make sure the monitors Demag wire is not touching any other etc too.

brad808

n00b
Yes I have another 4 slot board that works perfectly in the cab. Monitor chassis has also been bench tested with new caps and fly without issue.

Westcb

Yes I have another 4 slot board that works perfectly in the cab. Monitor chassis has also been bench tested with new caps and fly without issue.

Yeah then I definitely have no clue. Next step since you got two working boards is mix and match top and bottom boards then you will know which one is the culprit. That will at least narrow it down further. If you believe it’s bad solder then you can at least concentrate on that board alone and reflow any chips and see if it improves.

brad808

n00b
I took a look at it last night but my two 4 slot boards are different so I'll just have to pull the original out and start inspecting connections.

brad808

n00b
So after swapping in the second 4 slot board again the problem is appearing. I'm going to start double checking cabinet wiring and connectors for a bad connection somewhere.

Westcb

So after swapping in the second 4 slot board again the problem is appearing. I'm going to start double checking cabinet wiring and connectors for a bad connection somewhere.

Yep then it’s safe to say it’s not a board issue and is in fact a monitor issue. There’s not many wires you have to inspect as far as cab wiring goes, but locating the problem on the chassis can be tricky. You might be able to disconnect the degauss wire completely, use a degauss wand or ring to clean up the electrons, then test going forward and see if it appears. Also would be wise to check speaker wiring just Incase and the speakers themselves and see if they are stock or if they were changed out potentially with some that are zero shielded or just with stronger magnets. Hope you can hunt it down, but shot gunning parts may be the only way. Also wouldn’t hurt checking all the ground wires and make sure that nothing is wired wrong and is shocking the chassis causing the video issue etc.