Anyone like old Mac computers?

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
We had the original macs in school, those black and white ones with the 9 inch screens. Only game on it was where in the world is Carmen San Diego.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The iMac I'm using is 10 years old lol

That's the beauty of Macs in my opinion. I can't speak for the really really old models, but all the metal MacBook Pro's as a general rule (at least in my group of friends, family, and co-workers) those things last and last. My parents are rocking my old 2008 MacBook Pro 13 – and with the SSD I put in there it's still extremely zippy for the web browsing they mainly do on it. I've had yet to own a PC laptop (owned most of the big name brands) which lasted longer than 4 years without every single thing on it being fucked up in some small way - like the keyboard, screen, ports, plastic case, etc. (and I take care of my eleowned ctronics and are gentle on them).

My 2009 Mac Pro is a friggin beast still. My 2012 Mac Mini (2.3 i7 quad-core) has been raped left by creative suite and still kicks it perfectly. I've even built my buddies YouTube channel intro video in After Effects and Premier Pro on my little 2014 MacBook Air 11" - even though it has something like a stupidly slow 1.4GHz dual-core i5 in it and only 4GB of RAM it chugged through having Adobe Premier, After Effect, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop open at the same time multitasking.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy

That's the beauty of Macs in my opinion. I can't speak for the really really old models, but all the metal MacBook Pro's as a general rule (at least in my group of friends, family, and co-workers) those things last and last. My parents (the at least 3rd owners now) are rocking my old 2008 MacBook Pro 13 – and with the SSD I put in there it's still extremely zippy for the web browsing they mainly do on it. I've had yet to own a Windows/PC laptop (owned most of the big name brands) which lasted longer than 4 years without every single thing on it being fucked up in some small way - like the keyboard, screen, ports, plastic case, etc. (and I take care of my electronics too and are gentle on them).

My 2009 Mac Pro is a friggin beast still. My main conputer is a 2012 Mac Mini (2.3 i7 quad-core) which has been raped left by creative suite and still kicks it perfectly. I've even built my buddies YouTube channel intro video in After Effects and Premier Pro on my little 2014 MacBook Air 11" - even though it has something like a stupidly slow 1.4GHz dual-core i5 in it and only 4GB of RAM it chugged through having Adobe Premier, After Effect, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop open at the same time multitasking.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
apple-imac-g3-imacquarium-choice-of-colours-123-p.jpg

recyclart.org-imacquarium-turn-your-old-g3-imac-into-an-aquarium-7-600x399.jpg

....Cool....

xROTx

fluxcore

Another Striker
The Marathon series was a huge hit at my university Mac labs :) And the aforementioned Escape Velocity was brilliant. Bolo... not many other mac exclusives I can think of though. Taskmaker and Tomb of the Taskmaker weren't terrible rpgs...

Most of my early computing was on a Mac Plus or Mac SE (although we did have a 286 beforehand). Spent a hell a lot of time tying up the phonelines on BBSes with those two macs. I received a PPC of some description (pretty sure it was a 6100) a while back, but it was from Apple's 'custom connectors' heyday and I could never find an adapter for the video output to something sensible. http://www.kan.org/6100/graphicshardware.html#hdi45 , don't have it any more :/

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah, i still have the Marathon Trilogy boxset.
Been meaning to go through that again on my Powerbook.

fake

15 Year Member
That's the beauty of Macs in my opinion. I can't speak for the really really old models, but all the metal MacBook Pro's as a general rule (at least in my group of friends, family, and co-workers) those things last and last. My parents are rocking my old 2008 MacBook Pro 13 – and with the SSD I put in there it's still extremely zippy for the web browsing they mainly do on it. I've had yet to own a PC laptop (owned most of the big name brands) which lasted longer than 4 years without every single thing on it being fucked up in some small way - like the keyboard, screen, ports, plastic case, etc. (and I take care of my eleowned ctronics and are gentle on them).

My 2009 Mac Pro is a friggin beast still. My 2012 Mac Mini (2.3 i7 quad-core) has been raped left by creative suite and still kicks it perfectly. I've even built my buddies YouTube channel intro video in After Effects and Premier Pro on my little 2014 MacBook Air 11" - even though it has something like a stupidly slow 1.4GHz dual-core i5 in it and only 4GB of RAM it chugged through having Adobe Premier, After Effect, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop open at the same time multitasking.

Yep, I end up giving my old Macs away rather than recycling them because there's nothing wrong with them! The only real problem that my 2006 MacBook has (first Intel model) is that I kept it on Tiger, so web pages crash the browser. I'm sure if I updated it to a more modern OS it would be fine. But for audio editing or whatever, it's still a great computer.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yep, I end up giving my old Macs away rather than recycling them because there's nothing wrong with them! The only real problem that my 2006 MacBook has (first Intel model) is that I kept it on Tiger, so web pages crash the browser. I'm sure if I updated it to a more modern OS it would be fine. But for audio editing or whatever, it's still a great computer.

The one thing I hate is Apple's OS "retirement" program. You might not even be able to update that 2006 MacBook to an even remotely recent version of their OS. My 2009 Mac Pro (just looked up its specs) has a 2.7ghz quad-core Xenon processor (usually meant for servers), 16gb ram, 2gb video card, 500gb SSD, etc. etc. and there's two newer OS versions which Apple won't even let me upgrade to.

...Yet my 1.4ghz dual-core MacBook Air with 4gb ram is on the newest OS....for some reason. This sort of planned obsolesce is one of the few things about Mac's which really bug me. At some point the programs I use on my Mac Pro probably won't support the older OS anymore and I'll have an absolutely beautiful and still capable computer that slowly becomes useless for no reason at all (just like all the PowerPC versions before ).

fake

15 Year Member
Yeah, it's definitely annoying. They should better recognize that some people use their machines for a decade and don't want to update their OS since their hardware can't handle it. Once they drop support, the third parties do the same, so it's not as if you could just load a more recent version of Chrome or something. I think they're getting further away from what made OS X so great. They keep adding bloat to it when they should be cutting back and letting people add modules on as needed.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Beige G3 update...

500mhz G3 sonnet processor shows up today. It already has a sonnet 333 so it "should" be an easy update.

I'm going to do a deep clean on it before I fire it back up, and at least a fan replacement. I'll probably consider recapping the PSU as well.

Any reason to stay on OS 9.1 over 9.2? It's much easier to upgrade video if I go with 9.2

fake

15 Year Member
Is it a PowerMac G3? If so, it can handle 9.2 no problem.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Nice. Yeah it's a power mac, originally the 7500 with 100mhz. It came to me with a 333 G3 upgrade, and I just slapped in the 500mhz G3 and it boots fine.

I gotta get a scsi2sd though, these mechanical hdds are going to have limited days for sure.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
here are some of my old Mac games. My dad was a HS computer teacher so we always had Apple/Mac at the house. My first was an Apple ][ e, mono green monitor, dual floppies.

I got a cube that started to smoke when I powered it on last time, maybe burned some caps? Flashes some sequence of lights I haven't delved into. It could be yours if you want skate?

jjjheHM.jpg

zjXi2fc.jpg

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Dogg, thanks for the offer, no worries man. lots of projects at the moment.

I got the purple painted powermac running os 7.6, 8.6, and 9.1. The only way to do OSX is if I find an elusive file for my 3rd party G3 card, but honestly, I don't care about running and outdated OSX at a snails pace anyway.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
My first home computer was a Mac, but I don't think I'd want to have one now.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Rescued a little CRT imac today, os 10.4.

between that and having os 7/8/9 on the outrigger ppc, I have restored a happy mac balance to my life lol

This tempest clone arashi is sweet by the way

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
does OSX run like shit for you too? even with extra RAM, 10.3 runs pretty shitty on my 500MHz imac.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
does OSX run like shit for you too? even with extra RAM, 10.3 runs pretty shitty on my 500MHz imac.

yes it always has. Being a mac user during that time was a nightmare, and it's ultimately why im not a mac guy now.
The animations were smooth, but everything was just delayed and slowed. It would process everything before showing it to ensure it wasn't choppy. That just made things seem delayed.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member

I'm pretty sure my PC is about ten years old as well. Still running fine with most modern games. Just saying. I do plan on buying a new one soon, but really it works pretty well for whatever I'm doing.

Buy quality hardware, make a few upgrades here and there, no problems.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I definitely caught "the bug"

I have rescued a few macs and I'm slowly bringing them all up to speed. The most recent find is a Macintosh SE. The original owner already did the 1mb to 4mb ram upgrade, but the stock 20mb hdd was still in there and dying in a fire. Also it had some video interference of course.

First step was recap the analog board, which is done minus one non-polar cap that I'm waiting on. In addition to the recap I reflowed the yoke plugs and hdd power plugs on the analog board, and the ground wire on the neck (video) board. Video is nice and crispy.

Right now I'm trying to work out getting a SCSI2SD happy. I am booting from an external scsi hdd with system 7 on it that at least makes the PC usable with no internal drive. Getting the scsi2sd is proving to be a major pain in the ass on this 68k mac. I have it working fine in a PPC 7500 :/

Last edited:

fluxcore

Another Striker
Right now I'm trying to work out getting a SCSI2SD happy. I am booting from an external scsi hdd with system 7 on it that at least makes the PC usable with no internal drive. Getting the scsi2sd is proving to be a major pain in the ass on this 68k mac. I have it working fine in a PPC 7500 :/

I presume the scsi2sd has proper scsi termination ability, from what I remember the early macs were pretty picky about having everything terminated correctly.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't like new mac's at the best of times let alone old ones. PC! PC! PC!