New discovery. amazing Neo Geo candy cocktail cabinet

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've always seen these in the flyers for the SNK cabinet range but never seen one for sale or in the flesh. I'd kill for one of these!

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Fuuuuuk. That is some nice! I used to have the SEGA Aero Table as my grail, but now I cast my eyes upon this!

-SD-

Camel Slug
That’s pretty cool. I assume it’s a 14” monitor?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Is this in the recent neo geo book? First I've seen this model.

I remember bout a decade or so ago. Someone found one in a rundown arcade in japan (he posted pics) it was in such a bad condition and the owner was ask a fu ammount of money for it, that he just couldn't justify the cost of bringing it back to his country.
Yeah real treasure this.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Great finding, congrats both of you guys, you got a great deal on auctions

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/j454977371
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o203446782

definitively worth more once fully restored!

There is not much info around, it has been sighted in a couple of arcades few years ago though:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/pakuman32x/archives/2015-08-22.html

https://twitter.com/wayamaya97/status/812291016032014340

too bad they came without monitor/bezel, but as it seems sharing the main body with the original MV25 TA-0 (TAble) (just without the inclination pivot...maybe a simplified version?) it should fit up to a 25 inches max?

Hopefully you can fit something like this:

https://quarterarcade.com/williams-19-horizontal-monitor-bezel

Cool stuff!

Edit:

just noted that because the glass is including the mini marquee space (while the MV25-TA0 had a separate marquee holder), probably the monitor has to be smaller..a 20" maybe?

Last edited:

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
There is no catalog, flyer or product number about this machine on the net....like SNK used those only for demo purpose back in the days.

A real shame as a cool cocktail neo geo cabinet would have been awesome for gamers and collectors.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
A real shame as a cool cocktail neo geo cabinet would have been awesome for gamers and collectors.

Simone, not to take anything from your score which I really respect, but the way I read your statement seems you are not aware of the MV25-TA0, the April '90 first MVS "cocktail" cabinet ever, released along with the upright version:

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 11.55.27 AM.png

seems quite cool to me, with 6 slot, 25" bigger screen, but mostly a pivot to incline the monitor (the blog user who posted in 2015 about the MV4 you scored, mentions indeed how difficult is to play given the flat monitor position, which probably made more sense for lower cocktail cabinets)

So to say, collectors/gamers were pretty aware of an official cocktail MVS (which in japan is called "Table") since April 1990, of which this is likely a 4-slot variant, and again, a very cool one, given as you said it is basically undocumented...kudos!

FTL

Staff member
Know welll the mv25ta.

If you examine the matter more in depth, you will find that the mv25ta is just a cheap variant of the mv25up: same monitor, same marquees holder, just the main body is different, one flat and one stand up version. The fact you can raise the monitor just shows how this is not an actual table cabinet.

A real table cabinet must be with flat monitor and totally integrated in the main body, like snk candy 26 or sega aero table.
This one is a real table as it is actually flat, with decorated glass.

The cool and interesting point from a collector's point of view is why this didn't get any covering in snk flyers,mags and ads.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have to say that this rig is extremely b'dass. Great find.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Know welll the mv25ta.

If you examine the matter more in depth, you will find that the mv25ta is just a cheap variant of the mv25up: same monitor, same marquees holder, just the main body is different, one flat and one stand up version. The fact you can raise the monitor just shows how this is not an actual table cabinet.

Seems to me they share exactly the same main body, yours has just a simplified top (missing pivot)

FTL said:
A real table cabinet must be with flat monitor and totally integrated in the main body, like snk candy 26 or sega aero table.
This one is a real table as it is actually flat, with decorated glass.

Not sure what you mean,the MV25-TA0 ca be both flat and inclined, and as by the lunch flyers, that was SNK's original offer in 1990 for "table" and when in flat-mode it is just identical to yours.

Frankly, the fact they introduced a pivot seems to me quite innovative compared to cheaper competition, but also definitively needed, given how tall that cabinet is...following your logic, we could argue that a true table should be way lower (or get a pivot).

Anyway, in short, I disagree if you are implying this is a separate line of product, given how, again, it is clearly a variant of the TA0 and I think it is fair to say, given the newer graphics,yours is postdating the TA0, of which they may have recycled the main body.

FTL said:
The cool and interesting point from a collector's point of view is why this didn't get any covering in snk flyers,mags and ads.

Totally with you on this, again great find!

Last edited:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
I had a 6slot cab, it was described in the manual of that cab.

Last edited:

FTL

Staff member
They do NOT share the same body.

The mv25ta is taller and larger.

It is a matter of design.

The mv25ta is just designed with same components of the mv25up. This one, on the other hand, has a dedicated totally flat glass where you can put drinks or items on, just like a real table.

As for the mv25ta, if you look carefully, the monitor has edges just like the mv25up and it is not meant to be used like a table.

All the real cocktail cabinets (like sega aero or snk candy 26 preneo) are flat and consisting of one piece; the mv25ta is designed with the flat monitor separated by the rest of the main body, all you can clearly see.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
They do NOT share the same body.

The mv25ta is taller and larger.

This is interesting of course, can you please share the measures? The flyer says the TA0 is large 900mm and deep 800mm.
Looking at the control panel the proportions are quite similar with yours... of course, happy to be proven wrong (please believe me I'm serious), but from here that's what it seems, from doors to control panel.

FTL said:
It is a matter of design.

The mv25ta is just designed with same components of the mv25up. This one, on the other hand, has a dedicated totally flat glass where you can put drinks or items on, just like a real table.

As for the mv25ta, if you look carefully, the monitor has edges just like the mv25up and it is not meant to be used like a table.

All the real cocktail cabinets (like sega aero or snk candy 26 preneo) are flat and consisting of one piece; the mv25ta is designed with the flat monitor separated by the rest of the main body, all you can clearly see.

this is all prone to arguing, the fact they call the MV25-TA0 a "table" in their own flyer, means Ta0 has been SNK's take on the segment.
Introducing a pivot feature, slightly deviating from the design you refer to doesn't mean the TA0 is not a table..

Also, even the Candy 26 you mention, had a marquee holder right in the plane, and I find difficult seeing a functional difference compared to the TA0 in flat mode (which is completely flat)

But I see your point, among the two we can sure say yours has a simpler/classic design, what I'm saying though, I don't think that's a new "cocktail" line with dedicated design, far from a less complicated (and easier to maintain) top than the TA0.

Edit: to be fair, even if they share the same body or not, the fully integrated marquee holder makes it indeed more sticking to the classic, no question about it. If I understand your point, I agree it would be more meaningful if it turns out it is really a dedicated cab, rather than a recycled TA0.

Last edited:

FTL

Staff member
Actually, no, even the control panels you mention are 2 well known different kind of panels in the neo candy world: one is the smaller and the other onen is the bigger panel.

They are totally different and the mv25ta shares components and pieces of the mv25up. This one is totally unique, different design and more expensive to produce at the time for SNK.

FTL

Staff member
btw I do not own this.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Actually, no, even the control panels you mention are 2 well known different kind of panels in the neo candy world: one is the smaller and the other onen is the bigger panel.

They are totally different and the mv25ta shares components and pieces of the mv25up. This one is totally unique, different design and more expensive to produce at the time for SNK.

Have you been able to compare parts/measures from a TA0/UP and this?

I'm not arguing overlays (and clearly the marquee holder!) are *unique*, nobody is taking away from you the fact this is a undocumented discovery.

What I think is important, is being able to understand how much this model differs from the TA0... and pardon my tenacity, but I hope you understand whatever result we (you, me everyone) can reach, will benefit the whole community, eventually giving more importance to your effort.

So to say, I think few measures and possibly a comparison with a real TA0 would be great, so we could understand if this is a later variant or a totally different thing!

FTL said:
btw I do not own this.

I didn't get it at first, given how much detail you where sharing, sorry, anyway, I'm sure the owner will be happy to chime in and share/discuss things..really, I think this is great, and definitively worth talking about!

Last edited:

FTL

Staff member
Bought and sold this to a friend.

ta-0 is 900 and 800, this one is 600 and 800.

ps overlay and panel are not unique as you wrote.. They are the same as neo19

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
There is no catalog, flyer or product number about this machine on the net....like SNK used those only for demo purpose back in the days.
It's in that pdf lachlan posted. Aren't they the same model?

printer.png

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Bought and sold this to a friend.

ta-0 is 900 and 800, this one is 600 and 800.

Wow,thanks for taking the measures, indeed that's even more incredible than just a TA0 with dedicated overlays, congrats.

Now, do you know if it had a manufacturing date sticker somewhere?
Looking at the graphics, it seems even later than the MVS-Ux.. it would be nice trying positioning it somewhere.