XFL Thread 2018-2019

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Initially the CFL was interested a few years back in having a Windsor team play at Ford Field in Detroit. I believe the deal fell apart though. I also heard something about Rochester, NY in the rumor mill during the same time period. I honestly wish St. Louis would be considered for a CFL expandion, but it seems that CFL no longer wishes to have USA expansion teams ever again.

Only way a CFL team might work in the states is if the Buffalo NFL franchise moved. Similar in the way that the CFL did well in Baltimore (for as long as it lacked an NFL franchise)

In some cases you can compete well enough to force a partial or complete merger. The NBA absorbed four ABA teams (Nuggets, Spurs, Pacers, Nets), the NHL absorbed four WHA teams (Nordiques, Jets, Whalers, Oilers), and the NFL absorbed the entire AFL (Broncos, Bills, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Oilers). Granted this was the 1960s and 1970s but it has happened.

But that ain't happening this time.

What about the Flint Tropics?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
In some cases you can compete well enough to force a partial or complete merger. The NBA absorbed four ABA teams (Nuggets, Spurs, Pacers, Nets), the NHL absorbed four WHA teams (Nordiques, Jets, Whalers, Oilers), and the NFL absorbed the entire AFL (Broncos, Bills, Patriots, Jets, Dolphins, Bengals, Chiefs, Chargers, Raiders, Oilers). Granted this was the 1960s and 1970s but it has happened.

But that ain't happening this time.

The difference is that, in 2018, there is no room for mergers/absorption anymore (every major media market has at least one team if not two or three in every sport and the talent pool is already stretched thin) and corporations like the NFL have all but ensured through legal means and political bribery that no real competition can ever rise up.

The only possible way I could see for another football league to crop up and survive for more than a few years would be if college athletics finally imploded and the NFL decided it wanted a feeder system that actually paid its athletes and wasn't morally bankrupt. However, the NFL has never seemed to give a shit before and I doubt carny-ass Vince McMahon's the guy for that job.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Only way a CFL team might work in the states is if the Buffalo NFL franchise moved. Similar in the way that the CFL did well in Baltimore (for as long as it lacked an NFL franchise)

The NFL should relegate Cleveland and Buffalo to the CFL like they do in soccer/football and give the Argonauts a crack at the big leagues.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
The NFL should relegate Cleveland and Buffalo to the CFL like they do in soccer/football and give the Argonauts a crack at the big leagues.
The Bills did make the playoffs this season and kept it close with Jacksonville.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I hope that the new XFL (Jesus, why would you call it the XFL when the last one was such a joke), loses just barely enough money that Vince McMahon continues to pour his own money into it to make it work. Hopefully, he will dump enough money into it that he will lose control of the WWF.