I hate cut scenes in modern games

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
MGS3 actually has probably the best balance in the whole series. The videos are probably the first part of the game, which is a failed mission that kind of works as a tutorial/background for most of the rest of the game. When you get to the real mission it's not bad if you stay off the radio. The end has a lot more, but the end sequence is so awesome it's perfectly fine.

ms3 seems to be every ones favourite. i'm sure they're all great games and that's why i tried many times to get into it and unravel the story for my self, but it's one series i was never able to get into. maybe i just don't have the patience, but the mgs games always moved to slow for my taste.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
ms3 seems to be every ones favourite. i'm sure they're all great games and that's why i tried many times to get into it and unravel the story for my self, but it's one series i was never able to get into. maybe i just don't have the patience, but the mgs games always moved to slow for my taste.
Yeah, I have a copy of MGS3 and I regret the purchase for the same reason you stated.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's one reason that bioshock was so great. It didn't feel like it had cut scenes.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I wish more games had in-engine cutscenes. Such as, ones that are done in the same gamespace you are playing in. You know when the game has this type of cut-scene because you can "change" it. Two examples are Deus Ex and Soldier of Fortune II.

Overall, I don't care about a cutscene, they are ok. As long as there isn't a load, then play a cutscene, and then another load. They should load behind the cutscene. Some games can do it that way, some not.

But all cut-scenes should be able to be skipped if you want. Not being able to skip one is annoying. Even if it is just hiding a loading screen. If you are stuck at a certain point and have one of those games that has checkpoint saves, you can end up watching the same movie over and over.

I've been playing Assassin's Creed Origins and all of the cut-scenes are in-engine and all of them can be skipped (at least as far as I know) a bunch of the game seems to be designed around "people don't like not being able to play the game, so we'll have story for people who want it, but not worry too much about it" They don't even really bother having a big opening cutscene, it almost immediately throws you into a fight with a guy and tells you how to fight while also giving you the characters motivation (Bad guys killed his son, now he wants to kill them) It's all wonderfully efficient for a game with such a huge scope in terms of content.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Metal Gear Solid took cutscenes to a whole new level, and not in a good way. While I thought this cinematic approach to storytelling kicked ass on PS2, MGS4 was one step too far. I was literally falling asleep in front of my TV, waiting for the cutscenes to end, so that the game could save and I could go to bed.

"I'm 30 minutes into this one ... No point in turning it off now ... It's bound to end soon ..." NOPE! Twenty more minutes, and it's still going, and now you HAVE TO wait, because you don't want to watch that all over again, and you don't want to miss what's left by skipping the whole thing.

I generally don't have high expectations when it comes to cutscenes. They are what they are. Back on PS or PS2 they were a way for the companies to flex their CGI muscles. I've enjoyed Namco's and Square's CGI cutscenes immensely, but they didn't drag on.

Having things done in engine these days is a plus, for sure. It doesn't take you out of the game. Again, this is what made MGS cutscenes so good, when they weren't insanely long.

To summarize, I'm OK with pretty much everything, but it needs moderation.

MGS4 was my last attempt at a MG game...it was just insane. At the time, I had a 1 year old kid and it would never fail, try to play the game...here comes the cut scene...kid cries, have to go be a dad. It didn't take long before I just gave up on it. I'll say that some of the game's points were just plain stupid as well, and that didn't help.

I agree...cut scenes were neat a very long time ago...now, they're rather pointless if the game is made correctly.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
What is sad is how skipable cutscenes are, in the sense that gaming has become a throwaway experience. In an ideal world you wouldn't want to skip as it would detract from the whole experience.

I will say that I loved MGS4 especially for the overblown cutscenes. In that case the whole storyline was so silly and winding, I dug it.

In the end I think storytelling in videogames is of great value and am just wondering if any games try and push the envelope in this regard without resorting to hammy cutscenes.

RE cutscenes up until 4 for instance where perfect, RE1 the whole thing being very filmic. That was innovation, survival horror had it down to a tee.
I'd even add the old Metroid games told a story of desolation and isolation without narrating practically at all. The story unfolded through you're own immersion. That's the beauty of older videogames, your performance was the telling of the story, minimal need for intermissions.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Narrative vs. Ludic?

The psx opened up the gates of pop stardom to the nerdy medium video game, but the gates to the the "things in heaven and earth that even philosophers never dreamt of" will likely stay closed forever.

The reason is simple: Interactivity is a natural enemy of any good story.

Let's take The Last of Us as an example. A game highly celebrated for it's story, a revelation, which apparently is the China Town of video games. Among video games it stands out, sure, among movies however it's just another b-stock zombie apocalypse. A Hollywood-style presentation does not automatically make this game a good film. The player's deep emotional bond with Ellie does not automatically mean, it has a deep story to tell. And the fact, that The Last of Us thinks outside the usual lootbox, certainly doesn't make it a China Town.

Imagine China Town being 16 hours long, with a story cut up in unlockable nibbles. Each time, you'd have to solve the usual gameplay errands to see what happen's next. It's a tension killer, to say the least. With each gameplay-mechanic offering the player more freedom, the logic of the narrative is more and more surrendered to the tedious side-quest logic of an open world.

I think it's the wrong route anyway, but maybe in future video games will come by a sensible compromise between a stringent narrative and a compelling ludic. Until then, playing like a movie won't be on par with actually being one.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
weird JRPG-esque storylines also didn't transition well to this cut scene world.

They were fine and quirky in the retro days because it was just a few lines of text. Now you get a 15 min cut scene trying to flesh out how some amnesiac kid has powers due to aliens in the mother terra that's trapped in a teenage girl's body.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Narrative vs. Ludic?

The psx opened up the gates of pop stardom to the nerdy medium video game, but the gates to the the "things in heaven and earth that even philosophers never dreamt of" will likely stay closed forever.

The reason is simple: Interactivity is a natural enemy of any good story.

Let's take The Last of Us as an example. A game highly celebrated for it's story, a revelation, which apparently is the China Town of video games. Among video games it stands out, sure, among movies however it's just another b-stock zombie apocalypse. A Hollywood-style presentation does not automatically make this game a good film. The player's deep emotional bond with Ellie does not automatically mean, it has a deep story to tell. And the fact, that The Last of Us thinks outside the usual lootbox, certainly doesn't make it a China Town.

Imagine China Town being 16 hours long, with a story cut up in unlockable nibbles. Each time, you'd have to solve the usual gameplay errands to see what happen's next. It's a tension killer, to say the least. With each gameplay-mechanic offering the player more freedom, the logic of the narrative is more and more surrendered to the tedious side-quest logic of an open world.

I think it's the wrong route anyway, but maybe in future video games will come by a sensible compromise between a stringent narrative and a compelling ludic. Until then, playing like a movie won't be on par with actually being one.

I agree.
Shenmue and Japanese take on videogame narrative in general, however, is 1000x removed from the tacked on film quality the west tries to embue videogames with.
Videogames as made by western hands today tend to be mere simulators, not videogames which never wanted you to think you where in the real world in the first place.
When companies started to think that videogames where the successor to movies everything went kaput. Even some Japanese companies in trying to appeal more to the west fell into this trap (Capcom, so sad)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Shenmue and Japanese take on videogame narrative in general, however, is 1000x removed from the tacked on film quality the west tries to embue videogames with.

It's a disaster, if it's not removed. Case Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. That was a dreadful cluster of campy archetypes.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
i hate fucking endless tutorials more.

This. Cutscenes are not the problem it is more about cutscene to game ratio.

A good game shows you all the mechanics gradually over time that you need to use later on or in unique ways. Instead we usually get a mountain of text at the beginning of the game and a lot of times more tutorials later on.

This isn't even counting the amount of hand holding instead of people just "figuring it out".

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

A good game shows you all the mechanics gradually over time that you need to use later on or in unique ways. Instead we usually get a mountain of text at the beginning of the game and a lot of times more tutorials later on.

This isn't even counting the amount of hand holding instead of people just "figuring it out".

Do people read the manuals that come with games or anything else upon first use? hell no and if you do you're a fuckin pussy. Have a damn go, get pissed with it and try some more. If you still can't figure it out then concede you're an idiot and read the fucking manual.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

I think the last two XCOM games did it right, teaching you the basics as you go along. The finer details you have to figure out yourself.

Do people read the manuals that come with games or anything else upon first use? hell no and if you do you're a fuckin pussy. Have a damn go, get pissed with it and try some more. If you still can't figure it out then concede you're an idiot and read the fucking manual.

lol what manuals?

Last edited:

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Seems like they all come from the most cliche action movies. I miss the full motion video cut scenes like in Red Alert.