Nerd drama from Twin Galaxies

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Billy Mitchell has the self awareness of Maury V.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Dude's got a family and his own business. If he plays the villain while making money, whatever, more power to him. Good on him, even.

edit:

"“This is the most valuable camera in the world right now,” he says."

JFC

a ridiculous, pompous article.

Billy knows his audience by now, he plays it up, he's putting on his mask and giving them what they want. He played a part in King of Kong and still puts it up in public, that's commitment.

Last edited:

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
Jesus over 1 hour video of some bullshit excuses and lies. Billy Mitchell should have been a boxing promoter.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How much does he still use his PacMan champion status for his personal marketing?
I would have just let it die after King of Kong. There was already a mini redemption after he was quite nice to new fans post-King of Kong.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Billy Mitchell is the greatest esports entertainer of all time

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I want to watch that but the sound is dogshit.

Walter Day is a waffly cunt, isn’t he?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Watching all of this, I felt as though it was two shades removed from a Wilson Fisk Kingpin speech.

This guy is totally doing a bit. The white suits, the American tie. He knows there is a subculture of people out there that are compelled by these types of controversies. It's a small pond but there's a lot of gold at the bottom and not that many people sifting through the mud for it. Mitchell is mining the cult of his own personality to a small but autistically obsessed audience.

The reality is that King of Kong works as a film not because it's about Donkey Kong high scores but because it's another interpretation of the monomyth, which transcends the subculture of video games. It's a human interest story that gained some mainstream attention because of its compelling vehicle; the protagonist played a video game all the way down the highway of the hero's journey. That it's 'real' simply plays on natural psychological vulnerabilities that compel us to suspend our disbelief.

I do believe Mitchel cares about his high scores. If you hone your skills, at anything, to a degree where you're counted by others as one of that group's 'elite', you're going to care. We see this desperate hold on legacy by yesterday's titans play out time and time again in the realm of sports, where the last generation's giants continue to insist they were better, had to face more physical play, less restrictions and rules, etc. Professionally, I've seen it the corporate workplace as newer, younger execs rise up to threaten the establishment (although that's anecdotal).

I also don't believe in the myth of the humble superstar. They may not show it, they may carefully guard it and cultivate a more benevolent persona, but ego and success are very closely tied together. Some brazenly share it with the public and some are silent assassins. I think that in order to be in the upper echelon of any trade or profession, you have to believe in your own hype to some degree. It's a fine line because even when someone is being intentionally deceptive in order to achieve a greater goal, they don't want their designs to be misunderstood. Hence, Mitchell's unwillingness to surrender the microphone.

Good watch. Made me think. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: