Samurai Shodown III English AES

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Got a suspected conversion copy of SSIII. I've tried to compare against other known real copies of games and I'm having a hard time telling if this is legitimate or not.

It came in a legitimate snap case like it's supposed to. Didn't include a manual, which does arouse some suspicion.

The label's die cutting seems to match dimensionally to a real copy, and the insert is cut to the exact size of a known good insert as well. Matches on every edge perfectly.

Here's a gallery of photos of the cart and insert in question.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Samurai Shodown 3 isn't a game people convert, it's usually the sac cart used to make other conversions. The only thing to worry about would be if someone made an English art set to put on a Japanese cart because noobs pay 10x as much for a US label. That said, it looks good to me.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Samurai Shodown 3 isn't a game people convert, it's usually the sac cart used to make other conversions. The only thing to worry about would be if someone made an English art set to put on a Japanese cart because noobs pay 10x as much for a US label. That said, it looks good to me.

Yeah, the guy who sold it to me said he was pretty sure it was a boot, so I got it cheap. I suspected that it was a Japanese conversion, which is why I'm not going to bother opening it up to check out the PCB. The stuff that's off is just that the "Neo Geo Advanced Entertainment System" logos seem to be a bit blotchy compared to others, the "TM" on the cart label seems stretched a bit vertically, and the red lines are a bit darker compared to other carts. But there's also a lot of print quality variation in these, so it could just be paranoia.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
SNK's early English AES inserts pretty much always have that blurry low quality look to them, especially the Neo Geo Advanced Entertainment System text. I've had a couple Fatal Fury 1 dogtag carts with inserts like that.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Good to know. I compared it against some of the other games in my collection and it was a really mixed bag. Some had super crisp, excellent quality printing on the logo, and some managed to be worse than this. Probably the only reason I'm scrutinizing this so closely is because I was told that it might be a bootleg of some sort.

Thanks for taking a look, though!