Goddamn credit card thieves

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
This stuff while scary, is no where near as bad as identity theft.

This is true. I've had my credit cards stolen a few times and my identity stolen once. The identity theft was much worse and more annoying to clean-up. It takes a lot more leg work to contain that damage. And once identity theft happens, it's much more likely to happen again. This is why the Experian hack blows my mind - 143 million consumers' personal information was exposed. I'd recommend, at LEAST, to watch your credit report closely if you don't already.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
It's about every other year for me. It's always been flagged immediately, and I get a text/email.
I travel about half the year for work, so it's just a matter of time before something gets stolen.

It's not your fault in most cases. Websites, restaurants, and gas stations are easy places to snag your card info.

Seems about the same average to me as well. I actually just had to get a new card a few months ago and that one I actually caught before Discover, although Amazon claimed they had flagged it as fraud when I got in touch with them. Every other time except once with a debit card, the card issuer flagged it first.

I think I've had my primary Discover credit card compromised 3 times, my bank debit (back when that was kinda my primary plastic) once, and a work credit card twice in about 12 years of using cards. So 6 times in 12 years, never lost a penny personally in any of those, updating all the places I manage to put my card on file is a headache, but whatever, it is worth it for the rewards.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I haven't had this happen before either. I never use my card to buy things online. Only rarely use on it newegg or godaddy. Everything else is done using Paypal.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I haven't had this happen before either. I never use my card to buy things online. Only rarely use on it newegg or godaddy. Everything else is done using Paypal.

It's basically the same with myself, either through PayPal or Amazon. The thing that gets me is traveling, and I travel a ton, so I'm sure my card info has been taken on these trips.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
I’ve been fortunate, but skimmers at the pump are pretty prevalent. I go to a gas station that allows you to pump, then pay inside.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
At this point, I really don't care about the risk. All the major credit card companies will simply reverse the charge on your account. It's no big deal.

I stopped using my debit card as the bank process to reclaim funds is a bigger pain in the ass. I used debit exclusively until a few people around me had their info stolen. They didn't; get their money back for months. I believe competition from the credit cards has pushed banks to be more accommodating , but now i'm locked into using credit cards.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I had my debit card number stolen about fifteen years ago and some person ordered a thousand dollar hotel room in dubai. The was a long two weeks waiting to get that charge reversed and a new card issues as I was just out of college at that point. I stopped using a debit card completely after that, and switched to using a pair of credit cards (i.e. use a specific card at a retailer and never mix them).

I also had some fraudulent charges on my Amex a few years later thanks to the whole Target breach, but that was far less of a pain in the ass to get resolved.

Last edited:

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Been fortunate so far however almost had a close call last year when I was coming home from work and while transferring from the bus to light rail, noticed my wallet was missing. While nothing was compromised, calling the companies and banks to freeze and replace my cards then going to the DMV to get a new ID was not the highlight of that particular week.

Needless to say, it could've been worse and did make me wonder how much more time would've been taken before the wonderful days of the internet. On my debit card and two of my credit cards I was able to cancel and get new ones issued in minutes.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I don't have a credit card but the wife does and it hasn't been skimmed, touch wood. I hate fucking credit cards!

Huh, interesting. Well, I have a very uninteresting story to share with you. My whole life I heard 'Never get a credit card'. I distinctly remember in sixth grade watching Channel 1 News and seeing something about 'never get a credit card'. Well, I remembered it. And I didn't get a credit card. Got a part-time job at 16, still didn't get a credit card.

Come around age 22/23, turns out, uhhhh YEAH NEED A GODDAMN CREDIT CARD BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE THEN YOU DON'T HAVE A CREDIT SCORE. WHICH MAKES LIFE IMPOSSIBLE IN AMERICA.

Dunno if it's the same in Australia.

I just don't get people who have credit cards and spend a stupid amount of money they don't have and don't worry about it. I read that debt is something that's supposed to be natural. I've never been in debt in my life. I'm sounding too much like Greg so I'm gonna stop now.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Come around age 22/23, turns out, uhhhh YEAH NEED A GODDAMN CREDIT CARD BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE THEN YOU DON'T HAVE A CREDIT SCORE. WHICH MAKES LIFE IMPOSSIBLE IN AMERICA.

Yes, I had this exact same problem. And if you don't have a credit score...you can't even get a "normal" credit card, in most cases. You have to go the secured credit card route where the card issuer holds whatever deposit amount you give them hostage until they decide you can have it back (generally 12 to 18 months...or whenever they decide to review your account). You can't even raise your secured credit limit, you have to give them a deposit of what you want your limit to be and it sure better be enough or you're screwed.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I don't know what it's like in the US, but here in the UK you never hand your card over to someone anymore. Everything under £30 is contactless and anything else you insert the card into the chip and pin machine yourself. Even at a restaurant they will bring the card machine to you and hand it to you. What instances could people be stealing the card details these days?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Huh, interesting. Well, I have a very uninteresting story to share with you. My whole life I heard 'Never get a credit card'. I distinctly remember in sixth grade watching Channel 1 News and seeing something about 'never get a credit card'. Well, I remembered it. And I didn't get a credit card. Got a part-time job at 16, still didn't get a credit card.

I just don't get people who have credit cards and spend a stupid amount of money they don't have and don't worry about it. I read that debt is something that's supposed to be natural. I've never been in debt in my life. I'm sounding too much like Greg so I'm gonna stop now.

I don't get it either and they withdraw cash for gambling or frivolous purchases like a new tv or splurging on lavish dinners, holidays etc with no real care in the world that they're one repayment from being fucked up the ass.

I use my bank card which is a mastercard debit card but I've never needed a credit card. I live by my wage and manage all of my finances manually so no auto debits or anything where I don't have full control over what gets paid when. I'd rather (keyword, rather... I aint perfect) be without something while I save for it than buy it now and pay it off, works out the same I guess but when you pay with cash you know the purchase is done and that's that. I think buying shit on borrowed money and never hardening the fuck up about when you can or cant have something is bad financial planning and certainly will cause you problems in the long run if your standard of living were to change due to losing work etc.

MattBlah, contactless here is anything under $100.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I don't know what it's like in the US, but here in the UK you never hand your card over to someone anymore. Everything under £30 is contactless and anything else you insert the card into the chip and pin machine yourself. Even at a restaurant they will bring the card machine to you and hand it to you. What instances could people be stealing the card details these days?

I was actually surprised when I visited Germany that all the waiters had wireless devices for paying the bill.

It might actually be a cultural thing with the restaurant experience. The waiter is working for a tip in the US, so everything is more classical in regards to service. You dont know what happens in those few minutes when they are ringing up your bill.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

To be fair, most people shouldn't have a credit card until their 20's. 18 year olds aren't good stewards of credit.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
To be fair, most people shouldn't have a credit card until their 20's. 18 year olds aren't good stewards of credit.

I know this too well. I got a credit card as soon as I was 18 and went on an online spending spree, getting more cards as I went. I ended up in £6k worth of debt, and had to take out a 5 year loan to pay it back. In a way it was good, because I learnt my lesson. Apart from my mortgage, I avoid any kind of debt these days.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Best bet in the US is to get a student credit card at 18 and USE IT RESPONSIBLY. Cell phone and other monthly bills also help establish credit. Teenagers should already have a basic checking account and be familiar with how it works. Many banks offer kids free checking accounts + debit card with an adult co-signers at 12-13. This stuff is not complex but doesn't appear to be taught in school.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah but the likelihood of an 18 year old being financially responsible is almost nil. It's why a lot of kids have six figure debt by the time they graduate college.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
You aren't supposed to be able to get a credit card until 18 unless a guardians signs for it.
They give them out anyways because they know what will happen.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
This is gonna be a long story

I travel with work so one day I was checking into a courtyard Marriott hotel. As soon as I got into the room the hotel phone rang. I answered thinking it was the dude that checked me in to see how I liked the room. The person on the other end of the phone claimed to be from the front desk and said that their systems were down and my card didn't go through and that I was welcome to come down or he can just enter my card over the phone. Not thinking twice I began to give him my name then it hit me. I said hey I'll just come down and let you swipe it , then he said ok but we have a pretty big line since everyone is down here trying to run their card again. So I hung up on him and went down stairs and ask front desk if he called. Of course he said no but said some dude just called the front desk and asked for your room number.

These mother fuckers are getting slick.

I'd hate to read one of your short stories.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
B of A always sends notifications. Clowns bought 250 bucks worth of dunkin donuts gift cards online and tried to get Nike store stuff for 500. I got all of my money back and a temporary card until a replacement card came. I always pull on the cc slot at had stations and atms. Lady at the bank said they have scanners in their pockets and just have to walk right by you too Get your info.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Had my personal card hacked 4 times in one year. Then everyone at my job got their cards hacked, literally everyone on my floor I talked to got new cards. Pretty sure the place I got hit for personal stuff was Home Depot because I bought an air compressor and about 8 months later the news came out about them being hacked. In the meantime, I had charges show up for Hotels.com buying rooms in London, but purchased out of France. Then a few months later came home from a work outing and there's 3 messages on the phone. Turned out someone in Montreal did a bunch of shopping right after I had bought lunch somewhere. The lady on the phone wanted to know if I had been in Montreal. I told her yes, I was in St. Louis then one hour later shopping in Montreal. Nothing lately, but I'm of the opinion like NeoSneth, it'll happen eventually and it will get fixed. I use my credit card basically as cash now and pay it off almost daily. I do it to earn airline points mainly.