Perfect casting choices in terrible movies

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Ever seen a movie that sucked ass, but had one character that was absolutely made for the role they were cast in?

I was flipping through the channels and saw this piece of shit on TV:
Scooby-Doo_poster.jpg

I was 11 or 12 when it came out and I hated it then.

But there's no denying that Matthew Lillard as Shaggy Rogers is a perfect casting choice:
matthew_lillard_in_scooby_doo.jpg

He just nails the performance. His voice, his mannerisms, his inflection, all of it.

Another one:
35880fed237b690e046debb3046315c1.jpg

Michael Chiklis as Ben Grimm/The Thing in those horrible Fastastic 4 films.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
dunno about existing movies, but I watched John Wick 2 recently and coulnd't stop thinking this actor would be a perfect fit for King from AoF / KOF:

[movie spoiler alert]:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Thurman and Fines in Avengers.

Afleck in BvS.

Godzilla in Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Now that STK mentions it, a lot of the comics movies nail the casting but fall apart for not being good movies. Also, Matthew Lillard did so well being Shaggy that he actually is the voice of Shaggy in most modern Scooby cartoons.

My contribution: Michael Ironside in Highlander 2. That was a wretched movie, but Ironside playing the badguy was a lot of fun, especially the subway scene.

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
It's a TV show and it's more mediocre than outright terrible, but Matt Ryan as John Constantine was perfect on the NBC show. So much so that he has reprised the role on Arrow, the Justice League Dark animated series, an upcoming arc on Legends of Tomorrow, and an upcoming animated web series.

The NBC show didn't really go anywhere plot-wise, the supporting cast was weak, and it was ultimately cancelled after 13 episodes and ended on a cliffhanger. But Matt Ryan will forever be John Constantine in my mind. Such a better choice than Keanu Reeves in that film.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Most of the movies Malcom McDowell is in.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Most of the movies Malcom MacDowell is in.

I watched an episode of South Park last night whre MacDowell was "some British guy" as the narrator. You are absolutely right.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I watched an episode of South Park last night whre MacDowell was "some British guy" as the narrator. You are absolutely right.

oof the Great Expectations episode. I actually like it now but when it came out it was easily one of the worst. They pulled that out of their ass.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Eric Bana's Hector in Troy...Man he was so honorable & awesome family-guy...Sad he had to die because his fagget brother...As soon as he died the movie was shit.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Samuel L. Jackson. He has some turds but brings the funny to them with his style.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Eric Bana's Hector in Troy...Man he was so honorable & awesome family-guy...Sad he had to die because his fagget brother...As soon as he died the movie was shit.

but hector died towards the end of the movie anyway. and the story of troy is thousands of years old, so the movie tried its best to stay true to the source material. i always thought troy was a great movie and portrayed the characters really well.

on topic

thomas jane as the punisher.
andrew bryniarski as zangief
ewan mcgregor as obi wan
christian bale as john connor
tom welling as clark kent

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
oof the Great Expectations episode. I actually like it now but when it came out it was easily one of the worst. They pulled that out of their ass.

I was actually under the impression that it's on the very, very short list of SP episodes that aren't aired in re-runs, it's on so rarely. For a long time, Dances with Smurfs didn't air, due to the school shooting in it, I think, and of course Comedy Central refuses to air Super Best Friends, 200, and 201 due to Muhammed.

famicommander

15 Year Member
but hector died towards the end of the movie anyway. and the story of troy is thousands of years old, so the movie tried its best to stay true to the source material. i always thought troy was a great movie and portrayed the characters really well.

on topic

thomas jane as the punisher.
andrew bryniarski as zangief
ewan mcgregor as obi wan
christian bale as john connor
tom welling as clark kent

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is a great example. Hopefully he finally gets to be in a good movie when he gets his solo flick.

Tom Welling is a terrible actor, though. He hasn't improved any, either. He's on Lucifer right now and he drags down every scene he's in.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is a great example. Hopefully he finally gets to be in a good movie when he gets his solo flick.

Tom Welling is a terrible actor, though. He hasn't improved any, either. He's on Lucifer right now and he drags down every scene he's in.

tom welling sucks as an actor but he did a good teenage clark kent.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The guy in the new 2pac movie. The movie was garbage but he did a good job and looked so much like 2pac

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm not sure I'm sold on the new star trek films (though I wouldn't call them bad), and I'm unsure on most of the characters, but...

Chris Pine is a passable Kirk

Karl Urban is spot on as Bones

famicommander

15 Year Member
I'm not sure I'm sold on the new star trek films (though I wouldn't call them bad), and I'm unsure on most of the characters, but...

Chris Pine is a passable Kirk

Karl Urban is spot on as Bones
The reboot trilogy is better than The Motion Picture, Final Frontier, Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis. Worse than First Contact, Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, or Search for Spock. Maybe about as good as Voyage home.

StevenK

10 Year Member
The reboot trilogy is better than The Motion Picture, Final Frontier, Generations, Insurrection, and Nemesis. Worse than First Contact, Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, or Search for Spock. Maybe about as good as Voyage home.

They're too different to be comparable.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Samuel L. Jackson. He has some turds but brings the funny to them with his style.

Snakes on a Plane is a prime example of this. Jackson is like the black Nic Cage. The main difference is he still gets offered quality roles as well as forgettable ones.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
One that instantly comes to mind is Gangs of New York and Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill the Butcher. He literally carries what would be a mediocre and highly forgettable film. I mean Cameron Diaz is in it for fuck's sake...it's not a great film. There are many great actors in it here/there, but they are low level characters with minor plot lines...

StevenK

10 Year Member
One that instantly comes to mind is Gangs of New York and Daniel Day-Lewis as Bill the Butcher. He literally carries what would be a mediocre and highly forgettable film. I mean Cameron Diaz is in it for fuck's sake...it's not a great film. There are many great actors in it here/there, but they are low level characters with minor plot lines...

I've heard something similar about Day-Lewis in Lincoln though it's still not tempted me enough to bother watching it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Adam Driver in the new Star Wars trilogy. Everyone else is fucking shit (except for Hamill), Driver shines bright. I mean fuck Boyega,
Isaac (I don't know why but I hate him as much as I did Jar Jar), Ridley (horrible, horrible English accent) Carrie Fisher etc.