Why is the US AES KOF 95 so expensive now?

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire

I read this but I think the neo will be in a different situation due to the true rarity of the games. It's true though as all those born in the late 70's and early 80's start passing away the market for the games may start shrinking.

To be honest though I don't give a crap because I'll keep my games until I die and when I'm dead it won't mean shit to me. I didn't buy them to make money but to play on. :)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I read this but I think the neo will be in a different situation due to the true rarity of the games. It's true though as all those born in the late 70's and early 80's start passing away the market for the games may start shrinking.

To be honest though I don't give a crap because I'll keep my games until I die and when I'm dead it won't mean shit to me. I didn't buy them to make money but to play on. :)

You'll be found buried in them, crushed to death by multiple overweight shelving units.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The things you own end up owning you.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
There's also all of the contrarians calling it "the last good KoF". This is surely a factor in its value.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I never said I needed the US version of KOF 95 I just said I was looking to get some US versions back. I searched eBay for King of Fighters AES as I own the AES console. I noticed the ridiculous high price of the US version of 95 so I came here to see if anyone knew why it jumped so high. I have no interest in those auctions you linked, they were the ones I seen in the first place that made me want to know why the prices were so high. If I was willing to blow $6k on a Neo Geo cart, KOF 95 would not be that title. For some reason I have the US KOF 95 manual. It’s not the best shape but I might be able to make a decent amount for it if I put it on eBay.
Prices on ebay can be all over the place. In many cases, the value of a common game should be roughly what the guide (neogeokult.com) says. You have to use your own judgement, price guides are only a guide, they aren't 100% correct. It helps to refer to more than one price guide. The value/price of KOF95 hasn't necessarily jumped, because you saw a couple of high priced copies on ebay. You would need more examples than that. Yes, it is 6000, but the seller KPJ is known to have high prices.
Does KPJ have high prices? Is the Pope a Catholic?

As far as AES titles, it is usually shooters, or genuinely rare fighters, that might go for a lot more than guide value. Even is KOF95 is listed on negeokult as "Uncommon", it might be risky to pay 1250 for it (which one ebay listing was asking). As, theoretically, it is the rarity (as well as the title's popularity) that underpins its value. If you buy a copy of KOF95 US without a manual included, its price should be perhaps 1/3 less than for a complete game (with cart, box and manual).
A less popular title (ie, a non-shooter) like Legend of Success Joe (Japanese version), or mahjong, won't shoot up in value, even though it's Rare.
That listing for the KOF95 AES at 1250 claims it's "Extra Rare". I don't know if that's true, but there are only three copies of KOF95 on ebay currently, and many copies of the Japanese KOF95 AES, so it looks to be Uncommon, at a guess. So that's one way you might guess its rarity. A really rare game, like Last Hope AES will be so rare there are no copies of it currently on ebay- you have to wait quite a for another copy to eventually pop up on ebay later on. So, as you can see, buying rare/expensive AES games can be a minefield, you have to know what you're doing. You also have to make sure the game isn't a conversion (bootleg copy).

Here is a loose cart of KOF95 AES US for a 299 starting bid:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-KING-OF-FIGHTERS-95-NEOGEO-AES-USA-RELEASE-AUTHENTIC-FAST-SHIPPING/332530208091?hash=item4d6c584d5b:g:7m0AAOSwSQFaEKJO

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,

Thanks for sharing, that was an interesting read. I do agree AES carts will drop in value at some point. At latest when they stop to work or we stop to work (aka dead).

Alas the prices skyrocketed to astronomical figures like the discussed KoF 95. This has a lot to do with price speculation and the current console generation imo. With 'collectors' buying multiple copies of already expensive games and the gaming industry focussing on digital downloads and stripped down retail releases people yearn for the good old days (were they any good?). As long as this won't change there is a good chance the prices won't drop significantly.

Back in the '00s I paid $150 for a US copy from Wilson (hi ckchan). That was cheap considering there may be just a couple of thousand copies available. But paying 10 times the price is just retarted and you can rest assured you won't get your money back in the near future.

But it says ULTRA RARE ;)

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Prices on ebay can be all over the place. In many cases, the value of a common game should be roughly what the guide (neogeokult.com) says. You have to use your own judgement, price guides are only a guide, they aren't 100% correct. It helps to refer to more than one price guide. The value/price of KOF95 hasn't necessarily jumped, because you saw a couple of high priced copies on ebay. You would need more examples than that. Yes, it is 6000, but the seller KPJ is known to have high prices.

As far as AES titles, it is usually shooters, or genuinely rare fighters, that might go for a lot more than guide value. Even is KOF95 is listed on negeokult as "Uncommon", it might be risky to pay 1250 for it (which one ebay listing was asking). As, theoretically, it is the rarity (as well as the title's popularity) that underpins its value. If you buy a copy of KOF95 US without a manual included, its price should be perhaps 1/3 less than for a complete game (with cart, box and manual).
A less popular title (ie, a non-shooter) like Legend of Success Joe (Japanese version), or mahjong, won't shoot up in value, even though it's Rare.
That listing for the KOF95 AES at 1250 claims it's "Extra Rare". I don't know if that's true, but there are only three copies of KOF95 on ebay currently, and many copies of the Japanese KOF95 AES, so it looks to be Uncommon, at a guess. So that's one way you might guess its rarity. A really rare game, like Last Hope AES will be so rare there are no copies of it currently on ebay- you have to wait quite a for another copy to eventually pop up on ebay later on. So, as you can see, buying rare/expensive AES games can be a minefield, you have to know what you're doing. You also have to make sure the game isn't a conversion (bootleg copy).

Here is a very rare Neo Geo Hotel Unit for 60000USD, to give you an idea of KPJ's prices:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-MVS-Hotel-Unit-Deck-Compact-Amusement-System-AES-SNK-Unicorn-RARE/262936295398?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Here is a loose cart of KOF95 AES US for 299 starting bid:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-KING-OF-FIGHTERS-95-NEOGEO-AES-USA-RELEASE-AUTHENTIC-FAST-SHIPPING/332530208091?hash=item4d6c584d5b:g:7m0AAOSwSQFaEKJO

Fuck off.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
maybe cuz everyone like english carts and are willing to pay crazy prices for em. I sold mine us kof 95 a little under 2 years ago for about 300 to a member here and just stuck to my japanese cart.

but 600 for a us kof 95 now a days? geezuz. ill stick to japanese carts.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
maybe cuz everyone like english carts and are willing to pay crazy prices for em. I sold mine us kof 95 a little under 2 years ago for about 300 to a member here and just stuck to my japanese cart.

but 600 for a us kof 95 now a days? geezuz. ill stick to japanese carts.
I would agree, there must be people who buy English AES carts for the later titles (not just the earlier common English titles), because they think they're all rare. Or some people are collecting the English AES carts, or they prefer to have an instruction manual in English.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
What they don't want you to know:

The blockchain is AES carts.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
It's extremely difficult to find 'nice' English versions of the early to mid KOFs (95 thru 98). I've been dealing with this platform for nearly 25 years and have only seen a couple clean 95s/96s. They're next to impossible to acquire. Most of the time, the carts & manuals have major wear.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
It's extremely difficult to find 'nice' English versions of the early to mid KOFs (95 thru 98). I've been dealing with this platform for nearly 25 years and have only seen a couple clean 95s/96s. They're next to impossible to acquire. Most of the time, the carts & manuals have major wear.

I'd be happy with a player's copy, but even those are retarded expensive when they do pop up.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I'd be happy with a player's copy, but even those are retarded expensive when they do pop up.
Yes, but if all you need is a player's copy, you could just get the Japanese AES version (which is much cheaper). You don't need to know Japanese to play it.
Or did you mean, you want a players copy (condition-wise), even though you are collecting it?

Last edited:

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Yes, but if all you need is a player's copy, you could just get the Japanese AES version (which is much cheaper). You don't need to know Japanese to play it.
Or did you mean, you want a players copy (condition-wise), even though you are collecting it?

A player's copy condition-wise. I'm in the collectard camp and prefer English copies of games if I can get my hands on them. But in most cases I'm swapping out a JP copy once I finally find one. I actually read the manuals, too, so it's not a $500+ premium on just one sheet of paper; It's easily 20 sheets of paper!