Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 59

Thread: Why is the US AES KOF 95 so expensive now?

  1. #26
    Die Gans

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidekiller View Post
    Let's see how it turns out in the future.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/sh...eting-in-price
    Originally Posted by kernow:
    Serious, serious problems man, you have them.

  2. #27
    Cham Cham's Banana

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Manchester

    Posts
    168
    I read this but I think the neo will be in a different situation due to the true rarity of the games. It's true though as all those born in the late 70's and early 80's start passing away the market for the games may start shrinking.

    To be honest though I don't give a crap because I'll keep my games until I die and when I'm dead it won't mean shit to me. I didn't buy them to make money but to play on.

  3. #28
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    10,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Kef9 View Post
    I read this but I think the neo will be in a different situation due to the true rarity of the games. It's true though as all those born in the late 70's and early 80's start passing away the market for the games may start shrinking.

    To be honest though I don't give a crap because I'll keep my games until I die and when I'm dead it won't mean shit to me. I didn't buy them to make money but to play on.
    You'll be found buried in them, crushed to death by multiple overweight shelving units.



    !!

  4. #29
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    6,036
    The things you own end up owning you.

  5. #30
    I am untouchable Liquid Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Texas

    Posts
    11,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    Everything is more expensive now.
    Inflation, inflation, inflation

  6. #31
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    12,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Snake View Post
    Speculation, speculation, speculation
    FTFY
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

  7. #32
    Lazy SNK Employee
    Dr. Meat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    56
    There's also all of the contrarians calling it "the last good KoF". This is surely a factor in its value.

  8. #33
    Sansetsukon Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    5,452
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    The things you own end up owning you.
    They wish. When I'm dead, it's (game) over ;).

  9. #34
    Mr. Big's Thug
    Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Your trash can

    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    The things you own end up owning you.
    Look at Luke Morse...

  10. #35
    A Broken Man LoneSage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Beijing

    Posts
    31,094
    95 is so vintage

  11. #36
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    10,969
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    95 is so vintage
    Like a fine wine....



    !!

  12. #37
    Akari's Big Brother
    joe8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia

    Posts
    2,529
    I never said I needed the US version of KOF 95 I just said I was looking to get some US versions back. I searched eBay for King of Fighters AES as I own the AES console. I noticed the ridiculous high price of the US version of 95 so I came here to see if anyone knew why it jumped so high. I have no interest in those auctions you linked, they were the ones I seen in the first place that made me want to know why the prices were so high. If I was willing to blow $6k on a Neo Geo cart, KOF 95 would not be that title. For some reason I have the US KOF 95 manual. Itís not the best shape but I might be able to make a decent amount for it if I put it on eBay.
    Prices on ebay can be all over the place. In many cases, the value of a common game should be roughly what the guide (neogeokult.com) says. You have to use your own judgement, price guides are only a guide, they aren't 100% correct. It helps to refer to more than one price guide. The value/price of KOF95 hasn't necessarily jumped, because you saw a couple of high priced copies on ebay. You would need more examples than that. Yes, it is 6000, but the seller KPJ is known to have high prices.
    Does KPJ have high prices? Is the Pope a Catholic?

    As far as AES titles, it is usually shooters, or genuinely rare fighters, that might go for a lot more than guide value. Even is KOF95 is listed on negeokult as "Uncommon", it might be risky to pay 1250 for it (which one ebay listing was asking). As, theoretically, it is the rarity (as well as the title's popularity) that underpins its value. If you buy a copy of KOF95 US without a manual included, its price should be perhaps 1/3 less than for a complete game (with cart, box and manual).
    A less popular title (ie, a non-shooter) like Legend of Success Joe (Japanese version), or mahjong, won't shoot up in value, even though it's Rare.
    That listing for the KOF95 AES at 1250 claims it's "Extra Rare". I don't know if that's true, but there are only three copies of KOF95 on ebay currently, and many copies of the Japanese KOF95 AES, so it looks to be Uncommon, at a guess. So that's one way you might guess its rarity. A really rare game, like Last Hope AES will be so rare there are no copies of it currently on ebay- you have to wait quite a for another copy to eventually pop up on ebay later on. So, as you can see, buying rare/expensive AES games can be a minefield, you have to know what you're doing. You also have to make sure the game isn't a conversion (bootleg copy).


    Here is a loose cart of KOF95 AES US for a 299 starting bid:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-KING-OF...0AAOSwSQFaEKJO
    Last edited by joe8; 01-31-2018 at 04:23 AM.
    Shock Troopers high score- 17,364,600

  13. #38
    Host for Orochi
    suicidekiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany

    Posts
    1,372
    Thanks for sharing, that was an interesting read. I do agree AES carts will drop in value at some point. At latest when they stop to work or we stop to work (aka dead).

    Alas the prices skyrocketed to astronomical figures like the discussed KoF 95. This has a lot to do with price speculation and the current console generation imo. With 'collectors' buying multiple copies of already expensive games and the gaming industry focussing on digital downloads and stripped down retail releases people yearn for the good old days (were they any good?). As long as this won't change there is a good chance the prices won't drop significantly.

    Back in the '00s I paid $150 for a US copy from Wilson (hi ckchan). That was cheap considering there may be just a couple of thousand copies available. But paying 10 times the price is just retarted and you can rest assured you won't get your money back in the near future.

    Quote Originally Posted by joe8 View Post

    Here is a loose cart of KOF95 AES US for 299 starting bid:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-KING-OF...0AAOSwSQFaEKJO
    But it says ULTRA RARE


    Quote Originally Posted by Pep
    Your nickname suits very well for someone who has decided collecting NGH

  14. #39
    Reichsf?rer-Finnland
    Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    EGO FREE ZONE

    Posts
    6,611
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
    Prices on ebay can be all over the place. In many cases, the value of a common game should be roughly what the guide (neogeokult.com) says. You have to use your own judgement, price guides are only a guide, they aren't 100% correct. It helps to refer to more than one price guide. The value/price of KOF95 hasn't necessarily jumped, because you saw a couple of high priced copies on ebay. You would need more examples than that. Yes, it is 6000, but the seller KPJ is known to have high prices.

    As far as AES titles, it is usually shooters, or genuinely rare fighters, that might go for a lot more than guide value. Even is KOF95 is listed on negeokult as "Uncommon", it might be risky to pay 1250 for it (which one ebay listing was asking). As, theoretically, it is the rarity (as well as the title's popularity) that underpins its value. If you buy a copy of KOF95 US without a manual included, its price should be perhaps 1/3 less than for a complete game (with cart, box and manual).
    A less popular title (ie, a non-shooter) like Legend of Success Joe (Japanese version), or mahjong, won't shoot up in value, even though it's Rare.
    That listing for the KOF95 AES at 1250 claims it's "Extra Rare". I don't know if that's true, but there are only three copies of KOF95 on ebay currently, and many copies of the Japanese KOF95 AES, so it looks to be Uncommon, at a guess. So that's one way you might guess its rarity. A really rare game, like Last Hope AES will be so rare there are no copies of it currently on ebay- you have to wait quite a for another copy to eventually pop up on ebay later on. So, as you can see, buying rare/expensive AES games can be a minefield, you have to know what you're doing. You also have to make sure the game isn't a conversion (bootleg copy).

    Here is a very rare Neo Geo Hotel Unit for 60000USD, to give you an idea of KPJ's prices:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-MVS...53.m1438.l2649

    Here is a loose cart of KOF95 AES US for 299 starting bid:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-KING-OF...0AAOSwSQFaEKJO
    Fuck off.

  15. #40
    Loyal Neo-Disciple
    cr8zykuban0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    viva las vegas!

    Posts
    991
    maybe cuz everyone like english carts and are willing to pay crazy prices for em. I sold mine us kof 95 a little under 2 years ago for about 300 to a member here and just stuck to my japanese cart.

    but 600 for a us kof 95 now a days? geezuz. ill stick to japanese carts.

  16. #41
    Akari's Big Brother
    joe8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia

    Posts
    2,529
    Quote Originally Posted by cr8zykuban0 View Post
    maybe cuz everyone like english carts and are willing to pay crazy prices for em. I sold mine us kof 95 a little under 2 years ago for about 300 to a member here and just stuck to my japanese cart.

    but 600 for a us kof 95 now a days? geezuz. ill stick to japanese carts.
    I would agree, there must be people who buy English AES carts for the later titles (not just the earlier common English titles), because they think they're all rare. Or some people are collecting the English AES carts, or they prefer to have an instruction manual in English.
    Shock Troopers high score- 17,364,600

  17. #42
    Kagami's Tailor
    fakeXsound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mass

    Posts
    6,110
    What they don't want you to know:

    The blockchain is AES carts.

  18. #43
    Sansetsukon Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    5,452
    Like the Bitcoin network data? Clever. I'm an AES thousandaire!!!

  19. #44
    Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light.
    formerly:
    Kenny Boy
    Kpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Michigan

    Posts
    1,802
    It's extremely difficult to find 'nice' English versions of the early to mid KOFs (95 thru 98). I've been dealing with this platform for nearly 25 years and have only seen a couple clean 95s/96s. They're next to impossible to acquire. Most of the time, the carts & manuals have major wear.

  20. #45
    Sansetsukon Master

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    5,452
    I agree with '95. Never had a crisp manual in my hand. Mine is ok, but not mint.

  21. #46
    Lazy SNK Employee
    Dr. Meat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpj View Post
    It's extremely difficult to find 'nice' English versions of the early to mid KOFs (95 thru 98). I've been dealing with this platform for nearly 25 years and have only seen a couple clean 95s/96s. They're next to impossible to acquire. Most of the time, the carts & manuals have major wear.
    I'd be happy with a player's copy, but even those are retarded expensive when they do pop up.

  22. #47
    Akari's Big Brother
    joe8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Australia

    Posts
    2,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    I'd be happy with a player's copy, but even those are retarded expensive when they do pop up.
    Yes, but if all you need is a player's copy, you could just get the Japanese AES version (which is much cheaper). You don't need to know Japanese to play it.
    Or did you mean, you want a players copy (condition-wise), even though you are collecting it?
    Last edited by joe8; 02-01-2018 at 09:04 PM.
    Shock Troopers high score- 17,364,600

  23. #48
    NAM-75 Vet
    itsofrustratin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Ottawa

    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Look at Luke Morse...
    I must ask, can someone give me some background about this Luke Morse fellow? I've seen him post on the Facebook group. I take it he is/was a crazy hoarder?
    The Offensive Orgy Mode!!!

  24. #49
    Who?
    Atro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Game Room.

    Posts
    8,345
    Quote Originally Posted by itsofrustratin View Post
    I must ask, can someone give me some background about this Luke Morse fellow? I've seen him post on the Facebook group. I take it he is/was a crazy hoarder?
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...e-quot-Odissey

    Enjoy.

  25. #50
    Lazy SNK Employee
    Dr. Meat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by joe8 View Post
    Yes, but if all you need is a player's copy, you could just get the Japanese AES version (which is much cheaper). You don't need to know Japanese to play it.
    Or did you mean, you want a players copy (condition-wise), even though you are collecting it?
    A player's copy condition-wise. I'm in the collectard camp and prefer English copies of games if I can get my hands on them. But in most cases I'm swapping out a JP copy once I finally find one. I actually read the manuals, too, so it's not a $500+ premium on just one sheet of paper; It's easily 20 sheets of paper!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •