Metal Slug X

jamon1567

n00b
I think I already know the answer to this (I hope anyway!), but I wanted to get confirmation on the copy of MSX I just picked up, which happens to be the first cart I've purchased :D

Basically I wanted know why some of the ROM's (and all of them have the proper number) are Toshiba and others are unlabeled. I've compared the PCB to pics on the MVS scans page and that looks good too. Was this something that they started doing later in the MVS lifespan, or did I get a bootleg?

I took pics just now, but the files are too large to upload. I guess I can figure out how to lower the quality somehow if I need to post them, but I've seen this on other carts online. I figure it's a quick question to answer, but I've not been able find an answer yet anywhere.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
yes, im sure it's legit. Mask roms are legit. If it looks like the boards on Mvs-scans then you are fine.

jamon1567

n00b
Thanks. Is there any reason some carts seem to have these roms that aren't Toshiba? From what I've seen it seems to mostly be with newer carts, so I was thinking maybe it was a cost savings thing later in the MVS life.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The lighter colored mask roms with a matte finish and no manufacturer listed were from Sharp. You can find them in NES cartridges a lot.