Mobile phones

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Which one do you have? What do you pay and how do you like it?

I have an LG Extravert - early touch screen/smartphone with fold out keyboard. I do lots of texting with co workers and friends, so it works for me. Before that, I had a fliphone. My Dad and I do a family share plan on verizon for $100 month/ unlimited calls and texting and 2G data which I don't even use. I just don't need a data smartphone. The only place I could see myself using it would be on my breaks at work checking facebook. I know the day will come when I have to switch to the darkside, and I'll go with consumer cellular and get an iPhone CE.

Would any of you believe that I was a Telecommunications major in college?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Which one do you have? What do you pay and how do you like it?

I have an LG Extravert - early touch screen/smartphone with fold out keyboard. I do lots of texting with co workers and friends, so it works for me. Before that, I had a fliphone. My Dad and I do a family share plan on verizon for $100 month/ unlimited calls and texting and 2G data which I don't even use. I just don't need a data smartphone. The only place I could see myself using it would be on my breaks at work checking facebook. I know the day will come when I have to switch to the darkside, and I'll go with consumer cellular and get an iPhone CE.

Would any of you believe that I was a Telecommunications major in college?

lg extravert? you sure you got the right phone for you?

also- who the hell still offers 2g data?

lastly? whats an iphone ce? you mean se? honestly curious in case it was something i didint know existed.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
lg extravert? you sure you got the right phone for you?

also- who the hell still offers 2g data?

lastly? whats an iphone ce? you mean se? honestly curious in case it was something i didint know existed.

I text my D&D group and g/f quite a bit.
Verizon - 2Gigs of data.
Maybe it's SE - I thought it was CE. I don't want a big ass-almost tablet to carry around.

I've seen women at work have cases on their phones that hold all their credit/debit cards. Man, if you'd lose that, you'd be fucked.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The iPhone SE is the same size as the 5S and 5, which are modestly small phones. The 6 and 7 Plus phones are the mini-tablets you're thinking of.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
I text my D&D group and g/f quite a bit.
Verizon - 2Gigs of data.
Maybe it's SE - I thought it was CE. I don't want a big ass-almost tablet to carry around.

I've seen women at work have cases on their phones that hold all their credit/debit cards. Man, if you'd lose that, you'd be fucked.

telecom major everyone.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I thought this was a necrobump at first.
...but it's just someone that's 10 years behind.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I have an SE. It's a 6s in the body of a 5, so if you want a small phone that's not old it's not a bad choice, although at this point even the 6s is a couple of generations old. The older the phone you buy, the sooner you're gonna have to replace it. And that's especially true with Apple products. I'd say that if you're wanting to use older tech, stick with Android.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I have an SE. It's a 6s in the body of a 5, so if you want a small phone that's not old it's not a bad choice, although at this point even the 6s is a couple of generations old. The older the phone you buy, the sooner you're gonna have to replace it. And that's especially true with Apple products. I'd say that if you're wanting to use older tech, stick with Android.

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of an apple guy, so I'll probably go with the SE. I like smaller, compact phones. My iMac is 10 years old, and the IPod I use in my car is 8 years old. :keke:

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Thanks for the info. I'm kind of an apple guy, so I'll probably go with the SE. I like smaller, compact phones. My iMac is 10 years old, and the IPod I use in my car is 8 years old. :keke:

If you can wait a little bit, I believe a major update is coming to the SE this Spring.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I'm still using an iPhone 4S, works just fine for my needs.

That's what I was using, but it was getting to the point where none of my apps would work anymore unless I upgraded my OS. So finally I'd had enough and upgraded my OS, and then my phone ran like total dog shit.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've got an old LG phone with a slide out keyboard for texting, as well. I've been thinking about getting a smartphone at some point, but I'm not really in a hurry. I already spend too much time on the internet.

That's what I was using, but it was getting to the point where none of my apps would work anymore unless I upgraded my OS. So finally I'd had enough and upgraded my OS, and then my phone ran like total dog shit.

Wonder what'll happen, if anything, about Apple's policy of slowing down older phones when the new ones come out?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i have a motorola something touchscreen smartphone, i don't care. it does the job.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member

You were on iOS 7 or 8 probably. I was the same way, held out on iOS 7.2.2 but I was running into issues with my carrier so I updated to iOS 9.3.5 (which by then had a lovely jailbreak). In some ways it's a step down, not as fast, but at least I get the Firefox and eBay apps, the music app wasn't so bad after I got used to it.

I admit, the 4S on its final iOS update (9.3.5) is somewhat slow, but I've seen quite a few similarly old Android phones that perform even worse on recent firmware.

I do have an iPhone 5 on hand I could be using, but I need to replace my SIM card first as it's too big, need a nano card...

Oh yeah, right with fresh iOS 9.3.5, the 4S is indeed really slow and choppy. You can speed it up significantly if you turn off Transparency and Reduce Motion in the accessibility tools, also turn off Background App Refresh. The biggest difference was turning off all spotlight search functionality, especially Siri Suggestions. Do all that and the 4S is still quite usable.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the iPhone SE, the only apps I use are Duolingo and Pitch Perfect tho.

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Damn some old ass phones up in here. I thought my 6S plus was starting to get old. I like my phablet, it’s gotta headphone jack (but I have BT headphones), and it still runs fast. TBH I never noticed the degradation of performance due to this batterygate issue. I think that it’s cause I use it so much everyday, that I don’t notice the incremental slowdown that prob has occurred over time.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I'm still using my Huawei P8 phone. I have an iPhone 6s, which is my work phone, but I'm enjoying Android more, especially when it comes to Bluetooth connectivity. Apple is trying to be proprietary with everything. You always need converters for their shit, from chargers to headphones.

My lady is using a Huawei P9 [upgraded from Lenovo Zuk Z1], and I talked my friend from work, who wanted to upgrade from an older Samsung, into getting a Huawei P10. Huawei is slowly joining other phone brands at the big boys' table. They've partnered up with Leica and their presence is now known. I don't know about the US, though.

I don't usually play games on my phone, but when I do, what my phone has to offer is more than enough. The camera is decent as well. Unless something happens to my phone, I won't be upgrading anytime soon. There's just no need to. Browsing works, the phone is fast, everything runs fine, and I have 128 gigabytes on the microSD alone, which I haven't managed to fill up, even after three years of taking pictures and videos.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I've been using a Google Pixel XL for about a year now.