Labo!!!

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
$70 is not that bad I spend more than that on coffee every week.

I just wish the accessory kit came with 3 sticker sheets instead of 2.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
How are you spending more than $70 on coffee in a week?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Cardboard? Bourgeois? Pretty sure cardboard is more often used to construct the homes and furniture of the proletariat. Speaking of furniture, that's exactly what most of this will become. You can lean your Guitar Hero controller on the stands you create out of weathered cardboard.

Honestly though - ingenious move to make something kids might want and moms will want to buy. The $80 tag will sink it though. If they're serious about it, they'll make it very third-party-friendly. And that's the least Nintendo thing they could possibly do. The Switch isn't going to become some open platform for "makers."

The 80 dollar price tag for this type of toy makes it prohibitive for a large segment of society off the bat, so the targeted demographic is the aspiring middle class family in some New Delhi suburb. Down on the street meanwhile, some kids are sniffing glue and playing with tin cans and razor blades. A proper childhood. 80 dollar cardboard is for well meaning reasonably well off parents (most of the west)
I'm kind of taking the piss though as I easily fit that category and have always been interested in gadgetry such as this.
I'm a bit concerned this is less videogame orientated and more veering towards playschool

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
None of this speaks to me, yet another thing I won't be buying...but I will say this:

"Labo"...in my world...is/was often short for labia.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
I would never buy it, but I love that Nintendo is making it. How awesome would it be to see that pitch meeting?

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's clearly targeted towards young children. Don't get your tighty whiteys in a bunch just because it doesn't appeal to your inner manchild.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's clearly targeted towards young children. Don't get your tighty whiteys in a bunch just because it doesn't appeal to your inner manchild.

Yeah...it's a really cool idea...that is 100% not aimed at me, or people like me.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Pretty neat for kids for sure. Not sure its something i would have tons of fun with. I do want to try it out though

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I would flip out about this if I was a kid. As it is I haven't felt compelled to buy a Switch yet.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
The true manchild experience is imagining parody videos. . . playing the same awful note forever, crumpled cardboard that used to be a kickstand but now functions as your cat's scratching post. . .

A blended experience with the variety kit would be neat. Where a game uses lots of the peripherals. . . something like Animal Crossing.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
The 80 dollar price tag for this type of toy makes it prohibitive for a large segment of society off the bat, so the targeted demographic is the aspiring middle class family in some New Delhi suburb. Down on the street meanwhile, some kids are sniffing glue and playing with tin cans and razor blades. A proper childhood. 80 dollar cardboard is for well meaning reasonably well off parents (most of the west)
I'm kind of taking the piss though as I easily fit that category and have always been interested in gadgetry such as this.
I'm a bit concerned this is less videogame orientated and more veering towards playschool

Racist vs. E.Indians

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This guy on Twitter totally called it before Labo was announced:

DTmlCL0WkAAd2ic.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
In this world of hyper-marketing and built up, successful brands you really need to question the cost of everything to survive. Most of the general populace finds this irritating because you're 'shitting' on their positive outlook but hey at least you don't get screwed $80 for fucking cardboard.

What a load of shit! make the damn things yourself, y'know with your fucking brain!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Kids will easily cut their hands on those edges and the whole concept is really pretentious, screaming DESIGN!!! all over it. On the other hand, I have to admit that the mass market scale for such a product is refreshing and that the first rate PR is very seductive and very elusive.

Big N has nothing to loose either, if one considers how low the initial costs must be and how high the initial retail price is. The Amiibo successor has finally arrived: vibrating haptic vs. sacrosanct all-digital. The impossible denial of our flesh will surely create further anomalies within the binary code's dominion.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Kids will easily cut their hands on those edges and the whole concept is really pretentious, screaming DESIGN!!! all over it. On the other hand, I have to admit that the mass market scale for such a product is refreshing and that the first rate PR is very seductive and very elusive.

Big N has nothing to loose either, if one considers how low the initial costs must be and how high the initial retail price is. The Amiibo successor has finally arrived: vibrating haptic vs. sacrosanct all-digital. The impossible denial of our flesh will surely create further anomalies within the binary code's dominion.

Do all of your posts go through some kind of pretentiousness plugin? That doesn't even mean anything.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Do all of your posts go through some kind of pretentiousness plugin? That doesn't even mean anything.

Yes, how I presented my thought is pompous, but to address the disparity between body and mind, i.e. flesh and digital processed entertainment is not without meaning. This disparity is the main reason people are still willing to buy retail releases, even though it's impractical, reactionary and hopeless. That is why LE's of a simple disc come dressed up with figurines, art books, stickers and pins in big cardboard boxes.

The invisible download (sacrosanct all-digital) needs a body, so we, the consumers, can feel secure again. That's why, in my opinion, the Switch puts an emphasis on the tactile sense with it's advanced vibration concept (hence vibrating haptic). To make you feel, what is disembodied.

Our bodies are a nuisance in a digital world (anomaly within the binary code), yet we can't deny them. So, we can expect more of such "anomalies", i.e. impractical but necessary concepts like Nintendo's Labo cardboards and about a thousand other Limited Edition gimmicks.

The form of my posts is debatable, to say the least. Yes. But I don't agree on the content being meaningless, because of it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yes, how I presented my thought is pompous, but to address the disparity between body and mind, i.e. flesh and digital processed entertainment is not without meaning. This disparity is the main reason people are still willing to buy retail releases, even though it's impractical, reactionary and hopeless. That is why LE's of a simple disc come dressed up with figurines, art books, stickers and pins in big cardboard boxes.

The invisible download (sacrosanct all-digital) needs a body, so we, the consumers, can feel secure again. That's why, in my opinion, the Switch puts an emphasis on the tactile sense with it's advanced vibration concept (hence vibrating haptic). To make you feel, what is disembodied.

Our bodies are a nuisance in a digital world (anomaly within the binary code), yet we can't deny them. So, we can expect more of such "anomalies", i.e. impractical but necessary concepts like Nintendo's Labo cardboards and about a thousand other Limited Edition gimmicks.

The form of my posts is debatable, to say the least. Yes. But I don't agree on the content being meaningless, because of it.

Is baking a hobby and you're really a professor?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I think what Oliver is trying to say is that Nintendo branded cardboard robots are awesome.

Also, I drink only the finest Dunkin Donuts blends of coffee - it's called Dunkin Posh and only available to a select few connoisseurs such as myself.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Is baking a hobby and you're really a professor?

Lach, please. If you think for a moment that I don't like my beer cold on a hot September afternoon, when Köln's famous smog continues tenaciously tickling your nose, then it still doesn't proof my posts are meaningless -- it just shows they're misleading.