GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'll scoop one if it plays GBC.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's Hyperkin. It's going to fucking suck and anyone who buys one will be disappointed. Just buy an SP.

famicommander

15 Year Member
From the videos it looks decent... I don’t need another SP I’ve had one for years. I won’t pass judgements on this until it comes out.
Every product Hyperkin has ever put out has sucked balls. Hyperkin sucks, Retro Bit sucks, AtGames sucks. They're preying on nostalgia to sell people shit.

Don't pay money for an emulator. Just put an emulator on your phone and get a bluetooth gamepad or get a dedicated emulator device like a GPD Win or a JXD.

There are already half a dozen ways to play these games much better than a cheap ass Hyperkin device (probably with an outdated, shitty emulator they didn't even bother to license properly) will. SP, Game Boy Player, Super Game Boy, phone emulation, dedicated handheld emulation devices, frontlit modded Game Boy Color, etc.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
If you're just into black and white Gameboy, at best a 50/50 chance it will be passably good. It's hyperkin, they bring over the shittiest chinese stuff and sometimes find ways to make it worse. Right now it's like they decided to merge a GB Pocket with the GB Light as that screen from the looks of it won't be doing GBC games or palettes at all. They're not saying much but it looks like an overpriced GBP in a metal housing with a lit up screen.

Might as well get a GBA SP with the 101 screen or stuff one into an original model and in either case replace the lens with a glass one.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I rather enjoy my retron5.

There is still interest in this handheld if they can make the display look nice. I heard it was painted plastic at CES, which means it will likely chip real quick.
It works like the retron in that it's essentially ripping the rom and playing it on an emulator, so it's not FPGA or hardware based.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

There is still interest in this handheld if they can make the display look nice. I heard it was painted plastic at CES, which means it will likely chip real quick.
It works like the retron in that it's essentially ripping the rom and playing it on an emulator, so it's not FPGA or hardware based.

They have stated its cast aluminum, I don’t think it’s painted plastic. Would be pretty bold to advertise something made out of metal and ship plastic instead.

famicommander

15 Year Member

My friend bought a Retron 5 and it took the save off of his Earthbound cart, then had an error trying to load it back on.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
Every product Hyperkin has ever put out has sucked balls. Hyperkin sucks, Retro Bit sucks, AtGames sucks. They're preying on nostalgia to sell people shit.

Don't pay money for an emulator. Just put an emulator on your phone and get a bluetooth gamepad or get a dedicated emulator device like a GPD Win or a JXD.

There are already half a dozen ways to play these games much better than a cheap ass Hyperkin device (probably with an outdated, shitty emulator they didn't even bother to license properly) will. SP, Game Boy Player, Super Game Boy, phone emulation, dedicated handheld emulation devices, frontlit modded Game Boy Color, etc.

I own a gameboy light and a gameboy SP. this device looks interesting because I quite like its aluminum case that it has. Plus I’m a fan of monochrome dot matrix LCDs like the original systems have. True hyperkin sucks ass but who knows maybe this one will be decent. I’m just looking for a console to carry around so I don’t have to risk damaging my precious vintage hardware.

famicommander

15 Year Member
I own a gameboy light and a gameboy SP. this device looks interesting because I quite like its aluminum case that it has. Plus I’m a fan of monochrome dot matrix LCDs like the original systems have. True hyperkin sucks ass but who knows maybe this one will be decent. I’m just looking for a console to carry around so I don’t have to risk damaging my precious vintage hardware.

Why even own a system if you're too fucking scared to play it? Holy fuck.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

The screen looks a bit better in this video than some of the others I've seen, and I know how hard it is to get a good picture from a backlit Gameboy, so I still have hope.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
It will be interesting to see when its released. AT $100 price point, I'm hoping they did this right with a focus on accuracy. If this comes in black, I'll probably pick one up.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'd just like to know what's driving it before it really comes off as interesting enough to buy. If they basically just aped the old tech and copied it, not some shitty emulator or some buggy ghetto SOAC like the GB Boy Color has then it could be useful.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member

The screen looks a bit better in this video than some of the others I've seen, and I know how hard it is to get a good picture from a backlit Gameboy, so I still have hope.

RGB backlight - that's interesting. I am anxious to see how this evolves by the time it's released. Modding a pocket is a bitch and a half, so if this has image quality on par with a biverted pocket - will buy