Dragonball FighterZ

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
The game launches in the states on the 26th of January. This weekend saw an open beta and a chance for a lot of people to get their hands on the game. I'll start by mentioning that I love dragonball. It was an anime I grew up on, and although viewing it under a microscope shows tons of issues with the show, its still something I love.

I've wanted Arcsys to make a DBZ fighting game ever since i saw HnK (hopefully it doesn't become as broken as that) Its finally happening and I couldn't me happier.

I spent over 20 hours with the game this weekend, and its a blast to play. At first glance it comes of as really simplistic, and not very deep, but as i played and researched I came to find the game is a lot deeper than most people once thought.

Are any of you guys planning on playing the game? what are your thoughts on it.

Heres a video of one of the better players during the beta. really hate the announcer. Luckily its only active during replays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDdt7Jimeb4&t=9s

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I bought the ultimate version because like you ever since HnK I've wanted to see more anime games brought out by them. I played one game online and a couple offline, but I'm really waiting for a tutorial (besides working 13hr shifts doesn't allow much game time of late). It feels like a cross between Guilty Gear and Budokai 3 (mash buttons = super at end), but I really didn't have enough time w/ it to comment much more.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Game is legit. It’s about time we’ve had a Dragonball game that wasn’t garbage. I hope all these voices can be changed though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That announcer is irritating as shit.

It's funny when you can look at a video of a game you haven't looked at before, and not be able to tell if it's a game for current consoles or a game for phones.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I played the demo and from my experience it seemed rather dial-a-combo without much flexibility in the combo freedom. I watched your linked video and all I saw was pretty much the same thing. Every person that guy played didn't block. I'm hoping there is more to the game. I think its fun but I just don't think its very deep. This is the best DBZ game we've ever gotten so I'm loving it.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I have hosted a weekly fighting game night for quite some time. We played 3s exclusively starting back in 2005. We played that and Street Fighter 4 when that came out. After that we played UMVC3 and 3s. We have played UMVC3 since its release date up until now. This is the game all the game night guys are pretty sold on taking the place of the next major game we play. I played the recent beta with early access. The presentation is great and the game is really fun. Reminds me a lot of UMVC3. Unfortunately most people I played in the beta were pretty awful. It will be interesting to see what people come up with when the real game is in their hands. I feel like there is a lot of potential, but at the same time I have my worries. UMVC3 had depth through character synergy with assists, DHCs, THCs, etc. I'm not sure this game will have that same amount of depth, but there is potential there. Hopefully at some point down the road there will be multiple selectable assists. It will be the new game at game night and it will be interesting to see if it stands the test of time.

P.S. 3s will always be at game night no matter what comes out :)

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I've wanted Arcsys to make a DBZ fighting game ever since i saw HnK (hopefully it doesn't become as broken as that) Its finally happening and I couldn't me happier.

Sup munchiaz! I loved that HnK game as well! Since this is arc system’s third dragon ball fighter, I’m curious what you thought of their previous efforts:

Dragon Ball Z: Super Sonic Warriors games
Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden

Their gba fighter was actually one of my favorite dbz fighters in general. Dragon Ball FighterZ is basically an expanded effort of Extreme Butouden, but I think this one definitely has the potential to be an all-time favorite for sure.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
If nothing else, it'll easily be the best Dragon Ball game ever.

Be interesting to see if the game has any legs competitively. In the past, games that ArcSys has made for other companies have been somewhat shallow and broken and didn't get any long-term support. Still, the early results seem promising. I don't particularly give a shit about Dragon Ball and am hype to try it.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm really excited for it. I've been a Dragonball fan for 20 years now, and I've enjoyed quite a few of the games, but this looks so much better. I avoided the beta because I find if I spend a weekend playing a buggy version of something, it puts me off spending time with the game when it's actually released. I'm happy to wait a couple more weeks to play the final release.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Slightly off-topic: Dragonball Super is trash, right? It looks terrible. Is it terrible?

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My buddy who got 2nd or 3rd at the DBZ Evo tournament was hyping this game up for me. I was about to order the Collectors edition but im having second thoughts now from the demo. I dont think i can play this competitively. Game is too fast & hectic. Plus i dont see any grapplers just lots of air dashing & combos to supers pretty much from the whole cast. Im pretty sure its a lot deeper then that but im not sure i want invest my time to learn a new fighter. Also no Master Roshi

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Slightly off-topic: Dragonball Super is trash, right? It looks terrible. Is it terrible?

I'm only about 30 episodes in, but I'm enjoying it. Annoyingly, it's currently retelling the story from the last 2 movies, but more stretched out and with plenty of filler. But if you already enjoyed DBZ then you should be used to that.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Dragonball in general is trash.

I will cut you.

I'll be buying this game, dunno about on release day but I'll get it for ps4. Maybe it'll hold my attention for longer than 20mins.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
still can't wait to try this out. reminds me a lot of the the marvel vs games of the old and marvel vs street fighter is one of my favourite games of all time, so i get a feeling that i'm really going to enjoy this.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
When I first saw this, I thought to myself "Oh, nice to see others adapting the 2D-esque look of Guilty Gear", but then I saw it was made by Arc System Works and is running on the exact same engine, or rather their implementation of UE4. DBZ games were always too chaotic for my taste, especially the ones in which you could just fly around. I'm not a huge fan of the vs. series, either. I like my characters on the grounds, not flying around all over the place, and out of the screen.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Yeah but dat saiyan arc tho

It's the same shit over and over for 30 years.
I almost feel sorry for the people who still follow it.
It ended for me when the original manga did, everything else is just like the Star Wars Extended Universe for me.

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Sup munchiaz! I loved that HnK game as well! Since this is arc system’s third dragon ball fighter, I’m curious what you thought of their previous efforts:

Dragon Ball Z: Super Sonic Warriors games
Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butouden

Their gba fighter was actually one of my favorite dbz fighters in general. Dragon Ball FighterZ is basically an expanded effort of Extreme Butouden, but I think this one definitely has the potential to be an all-time favorite for sure.

I didn't play super sonic but i picked up extreme Butouden while i was in Japan a few years ago, and i really enjoyed it. I thought it was a bit to simple though.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It ended for me when the original manga did, everything else is just like the Star Wars Extended Universe for me.

It's kinda scary how accurate this statement is since both had stories that at least made sense which are now replaced by stories that make no sense.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
It's kinda scary how accurate this statement is since both had stories that at least made sense which are now replaced by stories that make no sense.

The show is one of those guilty pleasures at this point with Super. I do enjoy it, but I know and can see all the flaws in the show. That being said, I grew up on Dragonball Z so its always going to be cool to me