Game Boy Backlight Mod - Bubbles under the screen

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi all,

I purchased this modded original Game Boy sometime ago and initially the screen was fine but gradually it seems the polarising film has lost its adheasion to the glass panel of the screen and now you can see what look like air bubbles. To start with it was very minor but got progressively worse.

I would like to have a go at fixing it as its very distracting when playing games, anyone done these mods before and have advice on a fix please?

Would it be possible to remove the current polarisation firm and get a new one, I have tried to take a look online and my guess is to do just that.

Many thanks

IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0191.JPG

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
It happens.

You could get another piece of film and replace it, sure, but it's not needed. The one thats in there is perfectly fine.

AFAIK, they're cut from a larger piece of film.

I've opened mine up and re-oriented it not too long ago - seemed to do the trick for me, YMMV tho.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I purchased this modded original Game Boy sometime ago and initially the screen was fine but gradually it seems the polarising film has lost its adheasion to the glass panel of the screen and now you can see what look like air bubbles. To start with it was very minor but got progressively worse. I would like to have a go at fixing it as its very distracting when playing games, anyone done these mods before and have advice on a fix please? Would it be possible to remove the current polarisation firm and get a new one, I have tried to take a look online and my guess is to do just that.

The polarizer shouldn't have an adhesive layer. It doesn't stick to the screen. It's just placed in front of the backlight panel, and you should be able to take it out, rotate it, or swap it out. It certainly does look like it was originally sticking to the screen and bubbles started to form afterwards. Just swap it out. If it's stuck to the screen, remove it, and buy a regular, non-adhesive one. You can buy them in many stores. Here, for example.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I was actually going to order a couple of glass screen covers from the site Morden linked so I might as well get a some polarisation film whilst i'm at it. Fingers crossed I can smooth it out when I attempt it, I'm also thinking to replace the old school bivert chip with one of the new PCB designs.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I was actually going to order a couple of glass screen covers from the site Morden linked so I might as well get a some polarisation film whilst i'm at it. Fingers crossed I can smooth it out when I attempt it

I'm sure it won't be a problem. The hardest part is peeling off the original layers, and these are long gone, since you already have a backlight mod installed. Anything else is a breeze. My polarizer is simply sitting between the screen and the backlight, no adhesive, and it looks great.

I'm also thinking to replace the old school bivert chip with one of the new PCB designs.

I'd leave it. Functionality is the same. The PCB is just easier to install. Save yourself some work and money.