Slot Cars

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Drifitng is actually much slower than proper braking.
Much much slower.

Not if you have turbo. Drift then boost. Live your life one half kilometer at a time.

the-fast-and-the-furious-poster.png

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I had a Transformers set when I was a kid. If you think it's hard keeping them on the track normally, try when they're in robot form with all that drag and screwed up center of gravity.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Slot cars are great, it was one of the first toys I bought for my kid once he turned old enough for me to pretend it was for him.

That anki overdrive looked great at first but I'm struggling to see where the skill is? If there's no skill it'll be boring very quickly.

Anyone remember micro machines? They did a 'race in the case' slot car set - tiny electric cars on a portable track. I wanted it so fucking bad as a kid but it never happened. I check ebay every now and again but they don't seem to come up very often.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
The newer digital slot cars are pretty amazing in what they can do.

You set your car up in the program before you race. Based on what your car is, you get your weight, amount and weight of fuel, speed increase as fuel weight decreases, max speed, braking distance, acceleration curve, and all sorts of things.

So you fuel will only go so long before you have to take a pit stop. It is timed to how long you stay there to how much you refuel. The computer can control several ( I think I seen one setup do 20) cars so you can have huge races while you and your friends control yours, you can do lane changes and and such and have to manage your speed, time, and such. It makes a pretty decent simulation or racing. Also you can lay out a shit load of different cars, from F1 to old muscle cars, depending on what you want to race.

Really cool layout

Now, along those lines, I've been looking into Magracing. That shit looks pretty cool and is coming along but there isn't much you can do with it at the moment. Very limited in the cars you can use and more difficult to build a setup.

Last edited: