Slot Cars

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
So is or was anyone here into slot cars?

I've been eyeing them for quite a while. They look awesome these days with all the cool shit they can do.

I keep thinking maybe when I get moved I'll set up a big track in the basement.

I would like to do it in one of the bigger scales. The little HO scale ones I had when I was a kid, were pretty fun back then but there is so much more you can do with the bigger ones now.

Then again, the smaller you go the more shit you can have, bigger track and such. Lower costs and that sort of thing.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
TCR Racing was cool as a kid.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
my dad bought me slot cars many times as a kid.

they look as if they're going to be great fun in theory, but i always found them to be really boring. just watching cars loop around the track. i always wished he just spent the money on some ninja turtles action figures and play sets instead.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I use to be into them. I remember back in the early 80s the cool AFX, Aurora cars as well as Tyco. I had a The Fall Guy track, Dukes of Hazzard and a bunch others. Years later I had the bigger 1/32 scale one's that run on the large tracks. I always like buying 1/32 model cars to get the bodies to put on the chassis.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I had a Spider-Man set when I was a kid. It was rad as fuck. My 6 year old would be bored of it within 10 minutes.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It's just I've seen "hyper" kids just sit and stare at spinners.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Slot cars are dead with the Anki sets. They even have semi trucks that can be raced or used as obstacles.
Anki Overdrive is just way better in every way than the slot cars we had as a kid. I would never have dreamed such a toy would ever exist as a kid....

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Slots are the cars on that metal lined track right? I had a US1 setup when I was a kid, loved that thing, would love to have another setup but like super huge. Like do a full on diorama of one.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
they look as if they're going to be great fun in theory, but i always found them to be really boring. just watching cars loop around the track.

Same. It makes no sense to me why I could never remember that disappointment for very long as a kid. Now it's all I recall.

fake

15 Year Member
My friend had some. I didn't really like them because if you went fast they'd fly off the track. They didn't seem to require any skill other than keeping them from hydroplaning through the window.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
My friend had some. I didn't really like them because if you went fast they'd fly off the track. They didn't seem to require any skill other than keeping them from hydroplaning through the window.

you describe the skill it takes to drive these, and then you say there is no skill in driving them.....
?????

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
you describe the skill it takes to drive these, and then you say there is no skill in driving them.....
?????

I noticed that, too.

The skill is in going as fast as you can without your car flying off the track. There's a reason that the hand controllers for slot cars allow you to adjust your speed by varying how hard you squeeze the trigger.

fake

15 Year Member
I noticed that, too.

The skill is in going as fast as you can without your car flying off the track. There's a reason that the hand controllers for slot cars allow you to adjust your speed by varying how hard you squeeze the trigger.

If you guys think that's exciting, competitive speed-walking is going to blow your minds.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
From slot cars to sluts in cars, from childhood to male menopause.

[SUP]From The Golden Age of Toilet Door Inscriptions, first volume[/SUP]

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
they look as if they're going to be great fun in theory, but i always found them to be really boring. just watching cars loop around the track.
Depends on the set, I guess. I had an A-Team set back in the day which mixed in u-turns, jumps, and collisions and I remember having a blast with it. Cliffhangers were decent as well.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Depends on the set, I guess. I had an A-Team set back in the day which mixed in u-turns, jumps, and collisions and I remember having a blast with it. Cliffhangers were decent as well.

I only ever encountered lame sets - I couldn't even get the cars to fall off the simple track at top speed. I remember getting bored once and putting my head on the track so a car ran into my face. The kid who owned the set peed his pants after the collision.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I used to love slot cars as a kid. I can't find any decent sets in the stores anymore. There used to be a place that had an awesome indoor track. It's fun as hell.