Can Anyone repair a Voodoo3 2000 Graphics Card? Cap pulled from PCB, Maybe broken traces

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Title says it all. See pics in my eBay auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132469722595

I would like it completely recapped, and if possible fix broken traces if there are any.

I really don't want to sell this, if it can be saved, I would love to use it in my Win 98SE Rig.

I talked to a guy online, but he was asking $40.00. That doesn't sound right, but I don't know really.

USA based would be preferred.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Cap replacement is usually not done as just one, you replace them all. These are surface mounted parts, if that makes a difference in prices. There may be different tools for this type of job, or perhaps different replacement components.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Not like it mattress, but it probably is not a good idea to lay the board on those metallic bags. They are conductive on the outside, anti-static on the inside. Essentially a faraday cage for any component inside of it.

And yeah what Trip said if you are replacing one you might as well replace them all.

Last edited:

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I doubt it's the caps tbh. Voodoos get incredibly hot and IMO they should have had a fan on them.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
how much is this card worth working? I wouldnt touch a recap trace repair job for <$50 before shipping.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Why bother with a Voodoo card!? Just buy a GeForce 2 Ti or Ultra.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
how much is this card worth working? I wouldnt touch a recap trace repair job for <$50 before shipping.

Around 80 to 100 working. That's what they go for from Bulgaria, where most are sold from on ebay. I sold it as broken and picked up a LeadTek geforce 4.

Why bother with a Voodoo card!? Just buy a GeForce 2 Ti or Ultra.

I wanted a Voodoo for playing games that support the Glide API, since there are a lot of good ones. But I also wanted to play return to castle wolfenstein, which isn't ideal for a Voodoo card.

Some day I will get both, but for now the leadtek runs 95% of what I want to play perfectly on Win 98SE.

bwi

20 Year Member
You could try amibay. They have a request services section with some really good guys. Personally ive had an Amiga 4000 and 2 cd32s done by one guy and his work was superb. Im sure there will be someone from the US on there happy to help

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You could try amibay. They have a request services section with some really good guys. Personally ive had an Amiga 4000 and 2 cd32s done by one guy and his work was superb. Im sure there will be someone from the US on there happy to help

I'll look into that if I need help in the future. Thanks.