Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hyperkin Ultra GameBoy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

I like the monochrome screen, personally. I’m not a fan of playing original GB games on a color system.

AES 3-5 #122967

Chin's Drinking Partner

[QUOTE=Morden;4264619] With Kong Feng's GB Boy consoles out there, a $100 mono colone is a bit much.

Chin's Drinking Partner

My slow boat from China finally came in and I got the Kongfeng yesterday.
    So far I'm thoroughly impressed.
    I also got a Retromini ... not so much, need to play around with it some more though.

Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    My slow boat from China finally came in and I got the Kongfeng yesterday. So far I'm thoroughly impressed.
    So, after playing on a cheap Chinese GB backlit clone, would you ever invest in Hyperkin's Ultra GB?

Armored Scrum Object

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Troll View Post
    I’m not a fan of playing original GB games on a color system.
    Same here. It loses something. To me it's like playing an old handheld game on a TV screen - doesn't feel right.

Somewhere in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Igakajook View Post
    Same here. It loses something. To me it's like playing an old handheld game on a TV screen - doesn't feel right.
    But backlit greyscale is fine, I assume? I hope you're not one of the people who think backlight takes away from the original GB experience. When I used to play GB mono games on a GBA SP, I always set it to the greyscale palette.

Chin's Drinking Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    So, after playing on a cheap Chinese GB backlit clone, would you ever invest in Hyperkin's Ultra GB?
    Hell no, even though it's a cheap Chinese clone in some ways it's better than the original.
    From what I've read most of these Hyperkins are over hyped over priced cheap Chinese clones.
    The Kongfeng filled a need for me, I wanted a portable color with a back light and a better screen.

Plus I don't think I play gameboy games enough to justify any more ways to play them.

Chin's Drinking Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Igakajook View Post
    Guilty of that too, when I get my X5 shortly I'm sure it'll spend most of it's time in my Gamecube.
    To me the GBA is largely an extended life for the SNES and it feels natural on a TV.
    Original gameboy games spend less time in it and more in a portable.

Armored Scrum Object

Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    But backlit greyscale is fine, I assume? I hope you're not one of the people who think backlight takes away from the original GB experience. When I used to play GB mono games on a GBA SP, I always set it to the greyscale palette.
    No problems with the backlight - it's just the colors. But don't get me wrong, if I wanted to play a GB game and the only way to play involved adding color for whatever reason, I'd still play the game.

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    My slow boat from China finally came in and I got the Kongfeng yesterday.
    So far I'm thoroughly impressed.
    I also got a Retromini ... not so much, need to play around with it some more though.
    My only gripe with the Kongfeng is the incorrect aspect ratio. But once you get playing it's not all that noticeable IMHO.

H = Hot
    M = Macho
    G = Gay

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd totally buy one. The Game Boy Pocket is still my favorite classic GB system for daily play. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the gray brick though, the speaker alone kicks ass.

War Room Troll

The Pocket had a really nice sharpness to the LCD even if it still did blur a little, nothing like the original though. I keep both around but when I want to play just the really old stuff I have a spare original GB in my desk drawer as it's just fun to have around for a flash back.

Thread Information