Hyperkin Ultra GameBoy

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
My slow boat from China finally came in and I got the Kongfeng yesterday.
So far I'm thoroughly impressed.
I also got a Retromini ... not so much, need to play around with it some more though.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
My slow boat from China finally came in and I got the Kongfeng yesterday. So far I'm thoroughly impressed.

So, after playing on a cheap Chinese GB backlit clone, would you ever invest in Hyperkin's Ultra GB?

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Same here. It loses something. To me it's like playing an old handheld game on a TV screen - doesn't feel right.

But backlit greyscale is fine, I assume? I hope you're not one of the people who think backlight takes away from the original GB experience. When I used to play GB mono games on a GBA SP, I always set it to the greyscale palette.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
So, after playing on a cheap Chinese GB backlit clone, would you ever invest in Hyperkin's Ultra GB?

Hell no, even though it's a cheap Chinese clone in some ways it's better than the original.
From what I've read most of these Hyperkins are over hyped over priced cheap Chinese clones.
The Kongfeng filled a need for me, I wanted a portable color with a back light and a better screen.

Plus I don't think I play gameboy games enough to justify any more ways to play them.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Same here. It loses something. To me it's like playing an old handheld game on a TV screen - doesn't feel right.

Guilty of that too, when I get my X5 shortly I'm sure it'll spend most of it's time in my Gamecube.
To me the GBA is largely an extended life for the SNES and it feels natural on a TV.
Original gameboy games spend less time in it and more in a portable.

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
But backlit greyscale is fine, I assume? I hope you're not one of the people who think backlight takes away from the original GB experience. When I used to play GB mono games on a GBA SP, I always set it to the greyscale palette.

No problems with the backlight - it's just the colors. But don't get me wrong, if I wanted to play a GB game and the only way to play involved adding color for whatever reason, I'd still play the game.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
My slow boat from China finally came in and I got the Kongfeng yesterday.
So far I'm thoroughly impressed.
I also got a Retromini ... not so much, need to play around with it some more though.

My only gripe with the Kongfeng is the incorrect aspect ratio. But once you get playing it's not all that noticeable IMHO.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If it wasn't so expensive, I'd totally buy one. The Game Boy Pocket is still my favorite classic GB system for daily play. I still have a soft spot in my heart for the gray brick though, the speaker alone kicks ass.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The Pocket had a really nice sharpness to the LCD even if it still did blur a little, nothing like the original though. I keep both around but when I want to play just the really old stuff I have a spare original GB in my desk drawer as it's just fun to have around for a flash back.