161in1 understanding its logic.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Thanks, your is defo different, it has an extra opcode and port used to set up the games. In your video you were looking at a region of menory that is not correctly mapped on all NeoGeo systems.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
c0nn0r, does you 161in1 save softdips settings onto the card if you follow the procedure I mentioned on the previous page?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Also, does your cart have metal slug x on it (should be game number 58)?

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
c0nn0r, does you 161in1 save softdips settings onto the card if you follow the procedure I mentioned on the previous page?

161-in-1 Softdip settings are saved across boots using this method:

• Turn on neo geo, choose game X - confirm level settings (level 2), soft reboot holding BCD to get dip settings, set level to 4 and exit sofdip.
  • Game starts with updated softdip settings.
  • Hold P1 Start until break out to 161-in-1 menu
  • turn off console
  • Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated level settings (level 4) remain intact.

161-in-1 softdip settings are not saved across boots with this method:

• Turn on neo geo, choose game X - confirm level settings (level 2), soft reboot holding BCD to get dip settings, set level to 4 and exit sofdip.
  • Turn off console.
  • Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated settings did not save. Game boots with previous softdip settings.

I followed the working method for the first 12 games on the 161-in-1 to see if we could exceed the MVS internal 8 game softdip memory limit (from what I understand).

It worked. The 161 seems to be saving it's own softdip settings. My entire first page of games is now set to level 4, and these settings persist across boots.

I have a MV-1C CMVS that does not have a card slot. UNIBIOS set to USA/ARCADE.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
161-in-1 Softdip settings are saved across boots using this method:

• Hold P1 Start until break out to 161-in-1 menu
  • turn off console
  • Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated level settings (level 4) remain intact.

161-in-1 softdip settings are not saved across boots with this method:

• Turn off console.
  • Turn on neo geo and choose game X. Updated settings did not save. Game boots with previous softdip settings.

I followed the working method for the first 12 games on the 161-in-1 to see if we could exceed the MVS internal 8 game softdip memory limit (from what I understand).

It worked. The 161 seems to be saving it's own softdip settings. My entire first page of games is now set to level 4, and these settings persist across boots.

I have a MV-1C CMVS that does not have a card slot. UNIBIOS set to USA/ARCADE.

Yup so that works in the same way, its just a case of if the code to do it is different or not.... Can you take a few more screenshots for me from the following addresses....

0x0FF000
0x0FF146
0x0E03C8
0x0E2760
0x0E0400

Thanks.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Yup so that works in the same way, its just a case of if the code to do it is different or not.... Can you take a few more screenshots for me from the following addresses....

Thanks.

0x0FF000
IMG_3486.JPG

0x0FF146 (issue with this one. I do not have that address on my cart. I gave you the address around it. Please advise.)
IMG_3487.JPG

0x0E03C8
IMG_3488.JPG

0x0E2760
IMG_3489.JPG

0x0E0400
IMG_3490.JPG

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Just awaiting for Raz to find some very interesting stuff about these banana carts and then they turn into $150 collectors' prizes :P

BTW: I'll power on mine and see if the addresses are the same as c0nn0r's or not...just for curiosity.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Just awaiting for Raz to find some very interesting stuff about these banana carts and then they turn into $150 collectors' prizes :P

BTW: I'll power on mine and see if the addresses are the same as c0nn0r's or not...just for curiosity.

I think the next unibios release might just raise the interest in these carts a little.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Many thanks for the pics c0nn0r, this has helped me alot and I won't be needing any more pics from you (I hope) :)

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Many thanks for the pics c0nn0r, this has helped me alot and I won't be needing any more pics from you (I hope) :)

It was a pleasure. Glad I could contribute to such a great project. Keep up the great work!

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I guess I should give you a picture back in return :)

20180121_195626.jpg

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I did a double take there and had to confirm each game was already on the 161-in-1 list. :-J So awesome that no hacks are listed.

Menu looks great, looking forward to Unibios v4!

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
:lolz:

Raz - will the different cart revisions affect everyone's experience? Are the unibios changes only working with your revision?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
:lolz:

Raz - will the different cart revisions affect everyone's experience? Are the unibios changes only working with your revision?

Yes, its very possible there are revisions out there that it will not work on, then again, maybe there isn't either.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Raz - can you please post pics of your 161 PCBs so we know which rev you're using?

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Raz - can you please post pics of your 161 PCBs so we know which rev you're using?

Another thing you could do is to take a look at the data on your cart at the addresses Raz asked for. Compare them to the pics I supplied to see if we're on the same rev.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
simply posting pictures of the PCB may not be helpfull when you consider identical pcbs could be used but with different data on. We really need to find a wat from looking the data. When c0nner suggests is a good idea and if your cart is different numbers then place post the pictures.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
simply posting pictures of the PCB may not be helpfull when you consider identical pcbs could be used but with different data on. We really need to find a wat from looking the data. When c0nner suggests is a good idea and if your cart is different numbers then place post the pictures.

Fair enough, but why not both? I don't have pics to post right now as I don't have the cart in hand, but when I do, I'll post.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Since the release of the NeoSD, I don't understand the logic of a 161-in-1 either.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Fair enough, but why not both? I don't have pics to post right now as I don't have the cart in hand, but when I do, I'll post.

Mainly because a picture does not tell you about the software controlling the board.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Since the release of the NeoSD, I don't understand the logic of a 161-in-1 either.

Yea, this is simply a quick hack to turn a MVS into a 98SLOT MVS board on the cheap. If nothing else its really cool just leaving it running in attract mode watching it randomly choosing games as quick as a real MVS multislot.