Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 155

Thread: 161in1 understanding its logic.

  1. #26
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,328
    Ok, here is a crappy quality video but I hhope you find the content within Top Quality!

    (direct link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Flc9_bvwU)

    Last edited by Razoola; 01-14-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  2. #27
    Raiden's Valet
    Morden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Neo Geo World

    Posts
    577
    Amazeballs. So the alternative loading handled by the Uni BIOS? Are you planning to include this as a feature in 4.0?

  3. #28
    2017 n00b of the
    YEAR WINNER!
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    307
    That is fucking awesome Raz
    Spice god of Borneo...my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart


  4. #29
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,328
    Yea, all that is done via unibios so no multicart modding is required. Idealy it would be better if it was all on the cart (with it supporting the needed features), then it would be more like the NeoGeoLand tech demo.

    I think it needs more work before it could go into unibios. ATM I enable it by holding start at power one. If it crashes though you need to power off and on before it will work that way again. Well I guess I could leave it in if I don't need the space for other things.... Then just leave it as a use at your own risk beta or something.
    Last edited by Razoola; 01-14-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  5. #30
    Athena's Wardrobe Manager
    kuze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In the year 2248

    Posts
    2,288
    That is a huge improvement to the 161 in 1 IMO. Nice work, Raz!

    Very cool that it's just like switching slots on a massive multi-slot system.

    Edit: One really great feature would be if the Unibios saved the last game you were playing and auto-loaded it on next bootup like a legit cart.
    Last edited by kuze; 01-14-2018 at 11:13 AM.

  6. #31
    Host for Orochi
    daskrabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Phatal Philly

    Posts
    910
    Great work, Raz. Keep it up.
    Sony PVM Club, Blast City Club, Egret II Club, Neo Candy Club
    WTB: Neo Geo MVS-U4 or MVS-U4/29

  7. #32
    Amakusa's Fashion Consultant
    GadgetUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    1,105
    Very nice work =D Love that quick change between games lol =D Great job!!!
    My YouTube channel contains some MVS repairs and stuff:-
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GadgetUK164

  8. #33
    Another Striker
    c0nn0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    423
    Now this is truly TopTier! Looking real nice Raz. Subscribed.

  9. #34
    Cheng's Errand Boy
    nam9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Norway

    Posts
    123
    This is awesome!
    Could a similar approach work for the 120 in 1 as well?

  10. #35
    Another Striker
    c0nn0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    423
    Just a feature thought; in addition to manually cycling through games, would it be possible to have the games automatically cycle through attract-modes when the system is idle like a multi-slot arcade cabinet? Also, any possibility of a feature to delete some games from the list, or conversely, make a list of favorites so that we're not cycling through crap games or hacks?

    Thanks again Raz. As always, really great stuff.

  11. #36
    Raiden's Valet
    Morden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Neo Geo World

    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nn0r View Post
    Just a feature thought; in addition to manually cycling through games, would it be possible to have the games automatically cycle through attract-modes when the system is idle like a multi-slot arcade cabinet? Also, any possibility of a feature to delete some games from the list, or conversely, make a list of favorites so that we're not cycling through crap games or hacks?
    I know this is for Raz to answer, but I feel like these features are beyond the scope of what Universe BIOS is meant to be. Keep in mind, that this only works with 161 in 1, not all of the multi cartridges. This was just an experiment to find out how things work inside this particular cartridge.

    What I would like to see, is a full fledged on-cartridge implementation of NeoGeoLand, using 161 in 1 as a base. Out with the hacks, in with the NeoGeoLand menu and missing games. Easier said than done, I know, but the thought alone is so exciting.

  12. #37
    Neo Bubble Buster
    mistahsnart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Parts Unknown, MN

    Posts
    40
    I'm glad I kept my old banana slug 161 around now. Nice work, Raz!

  13. #38
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,328
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nn0r View Post
    Just a feature thought; in addition to manually cycling through games, would it be possible to have the games automatically cycle through attract-modes when the system is idle like a multi-slot arcade cabinet? Also, any possibility of a feature to delete some games from the list, or conversely, make a list of favorites so that we're not cycling through crap games or hacks?

    Thanks again Raz. As always, really great stuff.
    It already auto cycles games, just did not show it in the video. While altering game list is possible I just don't have space to impliment presently.
    Last edited by Razoola; 01-15-2018 at 01:55 AM.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  14. #39
    Pm Rot. He'll Give You
    A Great Custom Rank.
    [OCEAN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Barcelona,Spain
    Posts
    673
    Whoa, that's incredibly neat! So so much better than the horrible stock interface... and even with it, I must admit the 161 in 1 has rarely left my 4 slot cab since I got it. It's just damn convenient.

    Just out of curiosity, what's keeping it from working on a multi-slot? The "slot emulation" itself?

    Great work!

  15. #40
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,328
    Just the fact that I have not tested it. I guess it probably would work providing all the other slots are empty.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  16. #41
    2017 n00b of the
    YEAR WINNER!
    joala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    over east

    Posts
    307
    At least we know one new feature for Unibios v4
    Spice god of Borneo...my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart


  17. #42
    Pm Rot. He'll Give You
    A Great Custom Rank.
    [OCEAN]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Barcelona,Spain
    Posts
    673
    Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    Just the fact that I have not tested it. I guess it probably would work providing all the other slots are empty.
    That's great, thanks for the reply. I usually use the 161 in 1 in the 2nd slot and with no other games in the rest of slots in fact, since I had some problems before with some configurations.

  18. #43
    Guerilla Warrior
    Montatez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The North.

    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    I know this is for Raz to answer, but I feel like these features are beyond the scope of what Universe BIOS is meant to be. Keep in mind, that this only works with 161 in 1, not all of the multi cartridges. This was just an experiment to find out how things work inside this particular cartridge.

    What I would like to see, is a full fledged on-cartridge implementation of NeoGeoLand, using 161 in 1 as a base. Out with the hacks, in with the NeoGeoLand menu and missing games. Easier said than done, I know, but the thought alone is so exciting.
    Agreed my friend.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmoney View Post
    "[M]ost agggressive gaming sites" has to be one of the strangest statements I have ever heard.

    A bunch of forty-something video-gaming nerds that are only keyboard commandos and mostly sedate pussies any other hour of the day cannot really be all that aggressive, can they? (My self included.)

    I love the lads here, this forum in general, and the mentality but lets not kid ourselves about this being some sort of dark web tough corner of the world.

  19. #44
    Another Striker
    c0nn0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Morden View Post
    I know this is for Raz to answer, but I feel like these features are beyond the scope of what Universe BIOS is meant to be. Keep in mind, that this only works with 161 in 1, not all of the multi cartridges. This was just an experiment to find out how things work inside this particular cartridge.

    What I would like to see, is a full fledged on-cartridge implementation of NeoGeoLand, using 161 in 1 as a base. Out with the hacks, in with the NeoGeoLand menu and missing games. Easier said than done, I know, but the thought alone is so exciting.
    This unibios feature is a low-hanging-fruit, and is something Raz can implement quickly (as we've already seen), and is something that can make a real difference to users with the 161 cart. Certainly a feature that would get folks to upgrade. For around ~$40 + ~$70, you get some of the sweet features of the ~$400 NeoSD. Many of us already have the 161, so it's an even cheaper prospect.

    While I will be buying a NeoSD (and a Super CD System 3) in the future, this quick and easy upgrade from Raz would be a great little bonus to play with until I mine enough crypto to afford the above products.

  20. #45
    Rugal's Thug
    WNivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Brunswick, NJ

    Posts
    90
    I quite liked what you had shown off regarding the Neo Geo Land demo, Raz, so I'm pleased to see some of that tech making its way into something that may see release. If this is ultimately included in a future version of UniBios, I may have to consider picking up one of those multicarts.

  21. #46
    Raiden's Valet
    Morden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Neo Geo World

    Posts
    577
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nn0r View Post
    This unibios feature is a low-hanging-fruit, and is something Raz can implement quickly (as we've already seen), and is something that can make a real difference to users with the 161 cart. Certainly a feature that would get folks to upgrade. For around ~$40 + ~$70, you get some of the sweet features of the ~$400 NeoSD. Many of us already have the 161, so it's an even cheaper prospect.

    While I will be buying a NeoSD (and a Super CD System 3) in the future, this quick and easy upgrade from Raz would be a great little bonus to play with until I mine enough crypto to afford the above products.
    I totally agree, but like I said, ideally, I'd like this poking around the 161 in 1 to lead to something much more robust. Imagine having a proper, full multi, with all of the games, and that sweet NeoGeoLand menu. I already own NeoSD, so I shouldn't even be this excited about it, but I am.

    Raz is doing great work, and hopefully, he'll take the 161 in 1 to the next level. After all, with NeoSD and Darksoft's carts on the market, there's no need for another flash device. Flash devices offer more freedom, including the ability to run homebrew code, but many people would settle for Neo's full library on one cartridge. That instant loading is just amazing, and I'd hate to see the work put into NeoGeoLand go to waste.

  22. #47
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,328
    I did a little tidying up of the code today and got it a little cleaner. Just in case I did not make it clear before or in the video. The game changing implimented follows the settings in the MVS cabinet SoftDIPs. That means you can kind of control when swapping is allowed just like on a real multislot. In short, if you did not know better you would think its a multislot MVS. Well apart from I use 1up A & B and not the select buttons to cycle games

    This brings a couple of dilemas...The autocycle jumps to the next game and they are all in alphabetical order. I'm wondering if it would be better to do a random order when games autocycle instead.... I also got it so it only chooses the 97 origional games... that said would if be an idea to include SVC plus and maybe remove the japanese mahjong game....

    I also looked into why Aero Fighter 3 is busted in euro region and on dumping the program ROM for the game its clear.... They placed their button check code over game data..... How lame given there is space they could have used. I was really hoping it was something I could fix.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

  23. #48
    Host for Orochi
    daskrabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Phatal Philly

    Posts
    910
    Great work, Raz. I agree about the SVC+ and Mahjong thoughts, but a few questions: Could there be flags to disable/enable all hacks, or better, choose to show/hide each title? Is it possible to set the Difficulty soft dips to 4 by default for everything? Have you tested on a multislot board with other games installed? Could all this work on the 120in1 as well?
    Sony PVM Club, Blast City Club, Egret II Club, Neo Candy Club
    WTB: Neo Geo MVS-U4 or MVS-U4/29

  24. #49
    Another Striker
    c0nn0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada

    Posts
    423
    Quote Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
    I did a little tidying up of the code today and got it a little cleaner. Just in case I did not make it clear before or in the video. The game changing implimented follows the settings in the MVS cabinet SoftDIPs. That means you can kind of control when swapping is allowed just like on a real multislot. In short, if you did not know better you would think its a multislot MVS. Well apart from I use 1up A & B and not the select buttons to cycle games

    This brings a couple of dilemas...The autocycle jumps to the next game and they are all in alphabetical order. I'm wondering if it would be better to do a random order when games autocycle instead.... I also got it so it only chooses the 97 origional games... that said would if be an idea to include SVC plus and maybe remove the japanese mahjong game....

    I also looked into why Aero Fighter 3 is busted in euro region and on dumping the program ROM for the game its clear.... They placed their button check code over game data..... How lame given there is space they could have used. I was really hoping it was something I could fix.
    This is sounding like a lot of fun there Raz! Very nice to get this additional info about how it works, and what the capabilities are.

    Regarding alphabetical or random switching. Why not both?

    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the MVS only remembers softdip settings for the last ~8 games. Will there be any way to set the softdips for all the games on the 161 when using this game switching feature?

  25. #50
    Divine Hand of the UniBIOS
    Razoola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Finland, Earth

    Posts
    4,328
    I just don't have the space to add lots of features like in neogeoland. While the things you suggest are all very easy to do, I really don't have the space. If I add this into the next unibios it will only work one way so I need to try and work out what the best way would be and what games to add or not (so is a SVC hack better than no SVC in the list at all?. You will always be able to play all the games by the standard 161in1 menu if you want.
    THE UNIVERSE BIOS ( MVS / AES, and now also for CD )
    www.universebios.com. Also on facebook, please like http://www.facebook.com/UniverseBios.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •