Devil's Crush - Leader Board

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
oliverclaude - 19,973,600 - TurboGrafx

DevilsAdvocate-Oli.jpg

Ball was set to "Fast". BTW, Number 2 was my first attempt. Then came frustration, followed by a thought-out strategy leading to this final score.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I feel whenever I do well it's 100% pure luck.

Luck will remain a factor, sure, but not an absolute one. If you are really good, you can cut it down to about 20%. Of course, skillful use of your flippers is key, but having and knowing your primary goals is equally important. Playing just for playing's sake will raise the luck factor up to a generic level, close to the one you described.

For me it's like 40%. To bring luck down to this passable degree, I only played further, if I got the tower-stopper with my first ball. Then I simply played the lowest table till I had the 100 x 9 bonus on the playfield, which alone grants you 10 million upon the final billing. That was the first and most important tactic.

Second was to avoid entering any bonus rooms, because they are very difficult to handle, with luck percentages way above 50%, grant you a poor point gros and eliminate all of your your stoppers in return. Third was to destroy the wooden gate and later the knights that keep blocking the orbit up to the top table. There, I played mostly for the special points.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
So much about luck: just get the tower-stopper and scores will follow.

oliverclaude - 46,111,900 - TurboGrafx

NoLuckJustSkill-Oli.jpg

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Practiced some over the weekend and made a run tonight...

FEnDEas.jpg

I think my ball control skills have improved, know where to hit it on the flippers. You can rack up a ton of points just in the bottom and middle boards. I found the key was to get your castle guard then keep making the skulls explode on either side of the flippers to increase your multiplier. There was twice I was maxed out on bonus points with a blue ball and then broke the eggs by the dragon so the skull opens his mouth to get 4X the bonus points. I think if you breaks the eggs enough, you'll get a free ball.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Blast! What a score!!! Congrats, Neodogg. The best part about the skull is, that you keep your multipliers after the billing. Still, it's hard to hit the mouth. As you said: ball control skills.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
I've found that keeping the flippers up, and allowing the ball to roll slowly down the flippers gives way more accuracy. Or, keeping flippers up until the ball loses momentum rolling UP the flippers, then hitting it is WAY more precise than just hitting it soon as it gets to a flipper.
Anyhoo, way to go Dogg!!!

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I would love to know how long it takes to get a score that big. Just in terms of sitting in front of the tube. A couple of hours?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I would love to know how long it takes to get a score that big. Just in terms of sitting in front of the tube. A couple of hours?

If you play well around 45 mins to an hour.

This...the key is the bonus points and multipliers and as Olli stated when you get the skull bonus you don't loose your bonus points so you can repeat as much as you can get the skull open...

uBNWF2Pb.png

if you keep hitting the "Devil's Coffins" spiders will jump out. Repeat to increase your multiplier (X2, X3, X4...). When you get enough bonus points break the 6 eggs under the dragons mouth to open up the big skull on the right. If you do it right clear a bonus room with a perfect and your ball turns to blue thus 4X everthing. With a blue ball shoot towards the open skull and your bonus is multiplied by 4. That is the easiest way I've found to get big jumps in score.

Last edited:

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
17433FD4-4552-4727-9A4B-45EA0C98DB03.jpeg

27,683,200 - Devils Crash MD score

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
updated boards...

this came in over the weekend. Seems pretty legit, the ball seems to be "heavier". The variations of the bonus rooms are pretty cool. Will post some score soon.

liz2Ezg.jpg

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Will post some score soon.

How long is this challenge staying open for? I thought it was just a monthly like the shmups but now that I look I don't see a date.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
How long is this challenge staying open for? I thought it was just a monthly like the shmups but now that I look I don't see a date.

Till the thread locks up, then I'll make a new one. A month isn't long enough for me. I only get to play games really for about 2hrs on the weekend if I'm lucky.

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
Till the thread locks up, then I'll make a new one. A month isn't long enough for me. I only get to play games really for about 2hrs on the weekend if I'm lucky.

Same. Hard to get in the zone, but that's life.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
This is one of those I either play for hours or every ball flies down the right hand side without ever touching a flipper.

I love it but it pisses me off regularly!

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This is one of those I either play for hours or every ball flies down the right hand side without ever touching a flipper.

That's what my deleted post was essentially about.

19 out of 20 runs, I'll lose my first two balls in under 2 minutes. I still haven't learned a thing (MD version).

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, Syn nailed it pretty accurately, if you're out to score, you better have a whole lot of afternoons free. Time Cruise II on the PCE is more forgiving.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I mean...does the game have rank or something? I'm only able to survive on my last ball. The first two have to go instantly.

Maybe it would help if I understood how to play real pinball.

Any BASIC tips for a scrub?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

Tl;dr ahead... understanding a flipper is understanding the bumper. Learning the latter is like learning the fingerboard, unfortunately, not the fretted one of a guitar -- a bumper is more like a fretless neck of a violin. Granted, there are also simple rules for hillbillies, like never ever push both bumpers at the same time, but the rest is an unmarked try-and-error area, since each point of the bumper has a different effect on the ball, when pushed.

You won't need to learn any position, but you'll have to figure out, which are the most important ones. A good exercise is to juggle the ball from one bumper on to another or to release the ball from its extreme points, the farthest and the shortest. Anyway, in Devil's Crush, try to release your first ball in such a way, that it remains in the middle part. If you fall down too early, you can just as well start over. Once you feel safer in the upper parts, try the lowest, where the big points are.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I mean...does the game have rank or something? I'm only able to survive on my last ball. The first two have to go instantly.

Maybe it would help if I understood how to play real pinball.

With Devil's Crush in particular...it's like olverclaude says it's all about when you hit the bumpers. Like you'll learn that certain parts of the bumpers always toss the ball a very particular direction. There are spots on the table I can hit almost 90% of the time I try by doing this. The bottom flippers for example, I will hit the ball when it is almost halfway down the bumper and it will go through that middle castle portion that gives you the block in between the bumpers, etc. Such a great game.