The Internet and when it goes down...

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
...Anyway... Nightmare this morning...

So my phone lines and internet went off... BUT nearly all the services are accessed via the internet...

After 10 minutes I finally found a contact number using my phones 4G... as phone books aren't supplied anymore in the UK...

After 15 minutes wait... they informed me that they were updating my service... and all the info was in my login portal...

I informed them that I had no fuckin' internet to log into my portal and wouldn't it be easier if they wrote to me...

This got me thinking... what if you didn't have access to 4G or the internet... and in need of assistance...

In todays modern age... most tech services and contacts are online based...

We be fooked...

xROTx

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Isn't it comforting when they advise you to do the impossible? fucking drones on the other end mate. Would be nice if there was a planned outage or update that maybe they send email notification prior to the date? nah that'd be fuckin organised.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Isn't it comforting when they advise you to do the impossible? fucking drones on the other end mate. Would be nice if there was a planned outage or update that maybe they send email notification prior to the date? nah that'd be fuckin organised.

Yeah... this pissed me off...

They didn't send me an email... just said it was in my account portal...

How many fuckin' times do you login to your service providers portal? I mean... they send me the bill via email... I know what it is, I don't have the need to login to see dumbass announcements...

Just EMAIL me mofos...

xROTx

PS. I suppose I could write everything down... but all the info are in my emails... for logins and such... Geez...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I would've logged in a couple times in the last 2.5 years so I ain't gonna see shit either if they put it there. I had to reset the password too...

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Isn't it comforting when they advise you to do the impossible? fucking drones on the other end mate.

I've had similar experiences in the past, when they asked me to go online, while I was contacting them about the internet not working. Not to mention their pro tips. I describe a very specific problem and tell them right from the start that I've tried restarting the router, trying a different cable, what have you ... The first thing they ask me is if the router is plugged in and is getting power. After that they usually tell me to restart the router, which I already said I tried. I know they have a list to go through, but fuck ... listen to me when I tell you I already did all this, and skip these steps instead of talking to me like I'm retarded.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I had a power cut over the Christmas break. I went out and got drunk the night before and forgot to charge my mobile over night. I woke up with a terrible hangover, no power, no mobile phone, and no clue how to contact anyone to find out what had happened. I just had to sit it out and wait for power. Luckily we have a gas stove, so I could make myself some coffee, or I'd have been completely screwed.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I had a power cut over the Christmas break. I went out and got drunk the night before and forgot to charge my mobile over night. I woke up with a terrible hangover, no power, no mobile phone, and no clue how to contact anyone to find out what had happened. I just had to sit it out and wait for power. Luckily we have a gas stove, so I could make myself some coffee, or I'd have been completely screwed.

Be glad there wasn't a bulldozer outside of your house when you woke up.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
same thing with bank accounts. it's all online banking now which i ran into a problem with.

i needed a new card and was told i could only apply for it via online banking. but i didn't have a pass code. they said they would send a new pass code to my address. but the problem was i no longer lived in that address. and they told me the only way i could change my address is via online banking which i have no access to.

fucking skynet.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I don't like the episode itself much at all, but that's one thing in "Overlogging" that South Park got right- internet goes down and then all the news stations go, uh, shit, we have no idea what the news is since we get all of our information from the internet.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I still like paper billing. It helps when you need info and can't look it up. To be honest we still get phone books delivered to our house every year. I think we keep one just in case something happens internet wise.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
My (ex)Mrs memorises most of her important mobile numbers for such a scenario.

We are too reliant on it so we are totally at the fuckin mercy of Alphabet/Google/whatever the fuck they are called now

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I don't like the episode itself much at all, but that's one thing in "Overlogging" that South Park got right- internet goes down and then all the news stations go, uh, shit, we have no idea what the news is since we get all of our information from the internet.

You have no idea how true this is. All news (TV) is transmitted online now through hosted systems and if there was some sort of outage every affiliate and big company would be fucked. The local stations couldn't get anything from 30 Rock, CBS, etc. and they can barely produce their own stuff without being like lost children. All it takes is a Level 3 outage in say Chicago and I get dozens of stations calling me asking what do they do when they go live in a few minutes.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I do miss the secure feeling of having a true land line.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I heard about the Kessler Effect for the first time the other day and it makes me wonder how bad it would be. Essentially to lose all satellites (and possibly any way of leaving the earth), internet would survive as land line only again I suppose. I’m not sure everything we use satellites for but I’m certain long distance phone calls would be a thing again and weather forecasting would suck (worse).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk