Extron CrossPoint 450 Plus 3232 & BVM D24E1WU

Dragon89o

New Challenger
Hey, so I just purchased an Extron Crosspoint 450 Plus 3232. I'm looking to use it with my Sony BVM D24E1WU. I'd ideally like to have a signal cord from each of my consoles go straight to bnc into the Matrix Switcher then have a single bnc cord going to my Sony BVM or Mitsubishi Megaview AM-4201R. Now my question is do any of you know if I'll need a sync stripper or something similar to plug certain consoles into the Matrix Switcher, Sony BVM, or the Megaview?

I ended up buying some of these to quickly test component. I'm just hoping they are not super cheap quality.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Gold-Pla ... SwLsBZQt16

Also does anyone know a good place to quickly get a phoenix adapter to rca adapter? I have a 30 day return policy on the Extron Crosspoint. I'm wanting to quickly test all of it's ports to make sure they are working correctly.

Specs below:
https://www.extron.com/product/product. ... s3232#spec
http://www.broadcaststore.com/store/mod ... m?id=22107

Images
https://i.imgur.com/uxIlfKG.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aCkS1mq.jpg

Last edited:

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
All Extron Crosspoints need clean sync to be input as far as I know. You'll need a sync stripper for each system if it uses a different type of sync. I only need these for my PS1/PS2, but there's quite a few others which will need it as well.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
All Extron Crosspoints need clean sync to be input as far as I know. You'll need a sync stripper for each system if it uses a different type of sync. I only need these for my PS1/PS2, but there's quite a few others which will need it as well.
I'm still trying to educate myself on sync so sorry if I sound a bit newbish on the topic. I listed the specs because it shows the signals it can take it. There are different models of Extron Matrix Switchers and generations as well I believe. So wasn't sure if all of them needed a sync stripper or not. It lists in the specs it can take RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, and RsGsBs. So wouldn't that mean it could take Horriztonal/Vertical sync, Separate Sync, Sync on Green, and unsure what the last one is. So would it still need a sync stripper or do I not follow what a sync stripper is?
Signal intake:
"RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs, HDTV, component video, S-video, composite video"

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I'm still trying to educate myself on sync

I would go to RetroRGB.com and give it a good hour or two read - it'll fill in many of the blanks about sync for you.

But to cut to the chase, ideally you want every one of your retro video game systems to output RGB (which is technically "RGBS" with 4x wires: Red, Green, Blue, and Sync). That sync line will have to be composite sync or csync. Some systems will have to have a sync stripper installed in the cable (or be modded) to output that type of sync so your Extron Crosspoint can use it (since that only allows that type of sync to be used).

P.S. you posted this on multiple forums...pretty much said the same thing on Shmups as well...

Last edited:

Dragon89o

New Challenger
I would go to RetroRGB.com and give it a good hour or two read - it'll fill in many of the blanks about sync for you.

But to cut to the chase, ideally you want every one of your retro video game systems to output RGB (which is technically "RGBS" with 4x wires: Red, Green, Blue, and Sync). That sync line will have to be composite sync or csync. Some systems will have to have a sync stripper installed in the cable (or be modded) to output that type of sync so your Extron Crosspoint can use it (since that only allows that type of sync to be used).

P.S. you posted this on multiple forums...pretty much said the same thing on Shmups as well...

But with the specs I listed doesn't it take more then just RGBS? It mentions RGBHV, RGsB, RsBsGs, and RGBS. So what type of sync would it be missing or when would it ever need a sync tripper going into it?

Also I'v looked at RetroRGB quite a bit but some of it doesn't read so clear or doesn't have direct answers to my questions or my specific devices. I can probably get some more answers out of it so I'll look at it again though.

And yeah I was hoping to get different responses from different people lol.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
The Extron Crosspoint will not accept a signal with sync on luma or sync on composite. (sync on composite =/= composite sync)

Some consoles output RGB with sync on luma (either out of the box or in the usual RGB mods). Off the top of my head, that includes N64, PC Engine, PS1/PS2 and a few others. From experiencing owning a Crosspoint matrix switch, you absolutely need a sync stripper in the chain between your system and the switch.

That sync stripper could be either in the console's scart cable itself or in the scart-to-BNC breakout cable you need to complete the chain. I have one of the latter which I use to swap my various non-RGBS systems into the Crosspoint. I would get one for each system, but they're pricey ($45~). The breakout cable is also available in cheaper versions without the sync stripper.

Beckett

n00b
Retro Access at one point sold Phoenix to RCA (https://retro-access.com/), but I don't see it listed on her site anymore... I would message her and ask if you are dead set on using the Crosspoint for audio handling.

Personally, I just use a stereo receiver to handle the console audio. Just need to make sure you use Male to Female RCA connectors if the audio wire won't reach.

Dragon89o

New Challenger
The Extron Crosspoint will not accept a signal with sync on luma or sync on composite. (sync on composite =/= composite sync)

Some consoles output RGB with sync on luma (either out of the box or in the usual RGB mods). Off the top of my head, that includes N64, PC Engine, PS1/PS2 and a few others. From experiencing owning a Crosspoint matrix switch, you absolutely need a sync stripper in the chain between your system and the switch.

That sync stripper could be either in the console's scart cable itself or in the scart-to-BNC breakout cable you need to complete the chain. I have one of the latter which I use to swap my various non-RGBS systems into the Crosspoint. I would get one for each system, but they're pricey ($45~). The breakout cable is also available in cheaper versions without the sync stripper.

Hrm, any idea why when trying to output Component from a Wii-Extron-BVM I was having color issues? I wasn't able to get certain colors to show no matter the settings I tried. I'm still learning the setting everything up and the settings.

neomeo

New Challenger
I have been looking for scart switches but I have to say that the extron are the best. The only thing is that the scart adapters are so expensive. Extron 450 is excellent. How do you hook up your audio?

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hrm, any idea why when trying to output Component from a Wii-Extron-BVM I was having color issues? I wasn't able to get certain colors to show no matter the settings I tried. I'm still learning the setting everything up and the settings.

Did you set up a channel for Component on your BVM? Colors look funky if you try to run it on a channel set for RGB.

Try a different cable between Wii-Extron and Extron-BVM to see if that helps. Which Wii cable are you using? Which BNC cable between Extron and BVM?

Check color settings in your BVM. Possible that RGB is set up correctly but Component is not (some have the opposite problem of Composite or Component looking great but RGB looks like crap because settings are not fine tuned).

See if your BVM has more than one video input card that accepts Component and try it on the other.

Try another console like PS2 Component to confirm it isn't a problem with the Wii. Try direct connection to your CRT to confirm it isn't a problem with your BVM.

I have been looking for scart switches but I have to say that the extron are the best. The only thing is that the scart adapters are so expensive. Extron 450 is excellent. How do you hook up your audio?

I use phoenix to RCA adapters. I lucked out a couple years back. A seller on ebay put up a listing with a few of the official Extron CSR 6, I bought them and simultaneously asked if he had more. He had exactly enough for all 12 inputs and 4 outputs on my 12/4 switch.

You can actually make them yourself. Before I got the ones above I made a few crude ones that worked okay besides being frail and having audio buzz. All you need is the 5-pole phoenix connector and a cheap 3.5mm stereo male to 2x RCA female cable. Cut off the 3.5mm end and follow this guide: http://www.extron.com/download/files/userman/68-349-03_A.pdf

Last edited: