Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joining PC master race: help a console noob

最性感的男人活着

Joining PC master race: help a console noob

So I'm building my own gaming pc. I got all the info from a website that constantly updates info, so it was pretty fool proof to order all the correct hardware.

So now, what does a noob like me do after I get it up and running? I'll be using Windows 10 (PS, must I purchase it, or can I just skip the "get a key later" and never pay for it without issues??). What is next? Steam is obviously the place to go. Do I have to install Steam? Seriously don't laugh. What does installing Steam do as opposed to me just going there and getting games from time to time?

Also, I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about getting a Rift. Does the Rift store and Steam store play nice?

I'm not even sure what else to ask. Help out a noob, please.

Steam has to be installed, it's basically a DRM launcher of sorts. Rift is the competitor to Vive, so, it has it's own install like Steam. Most VR games are fine with Rift, EXCEPT Bethesda games, becuase you know, they sued Oculus over stolen concepts or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

War Room Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
    So I'm building my own gaming pc. I got all the info from a website that constantly updates info, so it was pretty fool proof to order all the correct hardware.

So now, what does a noob like me do after I get it up and running? I'll be using Windows 10 (PS, must I purchase it, or can I just skip the "get a key later" and never pay for it without issues??). What is next? Steam is obviously the place to go. Do I have to install Steam? Seriously don't laugh. What does installing Steam do as opposed to me just going there and getting games from time to time?
    Steam doesn't let you download installers directly. You have to install their client; it manages installation/patches for you.

If you're not the type who needs every game the day it comes out, consider the Humble Bundle. They do a monthly bundle for $12 (less if you subscribe) that often has one older AAA title combined with a bunch of old-ish indies. They give you Steam keys to install the games.

I'd also recommend checking out Good Old Games, which is a bit of a misnomer because they now carry many new releases as well. Good place to pick up old games for cheap, though.

War Room Troll

Also, I recommend holding off on the Rift. An updated Vive is expected literally within the next few days.

NeoGumby's Sycophant

King's Dry Cleaner

One of the fist sites you should go after building it is https://ninite.com/ you can install a bunch of useful programs at once.

But will spike reveal what's in the machine that he's building?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpj View Post
    Sometimes, the customer doesn't always KNOW what's right.

最性感的男人活着

Quote Originally Posted by cdamm View Post
    But will spike reveal what's in the machine that he's building?
    pcgamehaven.com/ultimate-4k-gaming-pc-build-for-2000/

I'm doing this with no hdd and a bigger m.2

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Regarding Win10 you can use the MStoolkit program on a legit ISO from MS for testing purposes of course.

I built a machine a few months ago and choosing an m.2 pcie ssd as my primary drive was a good choice. Faster than the sata3 ssd by a mile.

!!

最性感的男人活着

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Regarding Win10 you can use the MStoolkit program on a legit ISO from MS for testing purposes of course.

I built a machine a few months ago and choosing an m.2 pcie ssd as my primary drive was a good choice. Faster than the sata3 ssd by a mile.
    So when I install that, what must I do in bios that's different? Certainly turn it off of SATA. What else? What's this RAID thing?
    Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 01-06-2018 at 06:06 PM.

pcgamehaven.com/ultimate-4k-gaming-pc-build-for-2000/

I'm doing this with no hdd and a bigger m.2
    cool!

of note- you will run out of hdd space fast if you dont want to keep on uninstalling and reinstalling stuff.

pick up a seagate barracuda 4tb for game storage. (its about $100) and it rules. also of note- maybe look at the noctua coolers? they do a phenomenal job and are super quiet.
    Last edited by cdamm; 01-06-2018 at 06:12 PM.

In truth be told
    You Have a
    Crappy username.

So when I install that, what must I do in bios that's different? Certainly turn it off of SATA. What else? What's this RAID thing?
    Just use KMSPico for Windows 10 (and Office).

RAID is a method for connecting multiple HDDs together to prevent data loss. There are a lot of different RAID formats though with different uses though.

Like cdamm said, I would definitely suggest having a big mechanical hdd to store data. Even a 1TB SSD is eventually gonna run low on space if you're playing modern games.

最性感的男人活着

Quote Originally Posted by 100proof View Post
    Have a reliable link?

Quote Originally Posted by 100proof View Post

RAID is a method for connecting multiple HDDs together to prevent data loss. There are a lot of different RAID formats though with different uses though.

Like cdamm said, I would definitely suggest having a big mechanical hdd to store data. Even a 1TB SSD is eventually gonna run low on space if you're playing modern games.
    my initial system had a 250gb ssd and a 1tb mechanical drive. less than a year later i added the 4tb barracuda as a third drive. you think its more space than you actually have.

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar

you can a legit windows 10 key for $20 or so, stop being such jews.

最性感的男人活着

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Shroom View Post
    you can a legit windows 10 key for $20 or so, stop being such jews.
    That a not legit either lol

That a not legit either lol
    well the code is legit. the way of getting it isnt.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Quote Originally Posted by cdamm View Post
    well the code is legit. the way of getting it isnt.
    If it's from Play-Asia I can say I've tried it and they do not work, I had them give me 7 replacement keys and nada.

!!

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

I recommend just getting a legit copy of Windows 10. Yea, you could probably find it without paying but Its your Operating System, I just wouldn't want to deal with issues later on.

Neo*Geomancer

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    If it's from Play-Asia I can say I've tried it and they do not work, I had them give me 7 replacement keys and nada.
    Those codes are notorious for not activating through Windows 10. You need to call Microsoft's activation line and have them activate it that way. The only draw back is that the license is non transferable.

War Room Troll

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    I recommend just getting a legit copy of Windows 10. Yea, you could probably find it without paying but Its your Operating System, I just wouldn't want to deal with issues later on.
    I've never understood how people can spend thousands building a gaming rig and hundreds (maybe thousands over time) on games, but somehow convince themselves that MS doesn't deserve to get paid for Windows. (Not meant as a shot against you, Spike. Literally almost everyone thinks this way.)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
    I've never understood how people can spend thousands building a gaming rig and hundreds (maybe thousands over time) on games, but somehow convince themselves that MS doesn't deserve to get paid for Windows. (Not meant as a shot against you, Spike. Literally almost everyone thinks this way.)

I don't feel I should pay full retail, which I don't, for an OS that data mines and spies on your ass. Go on ebay and buy a key for 10 bucks. I've bought like 30 keys and never had an issue with activation.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

World's Greatest Poster Dr Shroom's Avatar

downloaded media creation tool, burned the dvd, installed and entered my key, worked perfectly.

War Room Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    I don't feel I should pay full retail, which I don't, for an OS that data mines and spies on your ass. Go on ebay and buy a key for 10 bucks. I've bought like 30 keys and never had an issue with activation.
    The point is that you paid for it. $10 is worth it just to make the notification go away. Some spend hours researching how to crack Windows instead, which unless you make minimum wage and your time is worth next to nothing, is asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
    Also, I recommend holding off on the Rift. An updated Vive is expected literally within the next few days.
    https://www.vive.com/us/product/vive-pro/

Thread Information