Why couldn't the PSX handle Neo Geo games well???

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Slightly off topic, but it would’ve been nice to see SNK develop windows/DOS/PC CD ROM versions of their games in the 90s They probably could’ve supported lots of RAM for arcade perfect games

Neo Geo CD version of Samurai Spirits 2 got a Windows port in the 90s. I think one of the Fatal Fury games got one, too, but Samurai Spirits 2 is the only one I have played, and to be honest, I don't really remember how it compared to the arcade original.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
There was at least one from back in the day:

9u7J4PU.jpg

It wouldn't surprise me if it was based on the Saturn or PS version. PC could've done justice to many arcade games of its time, but most conversions tended to be rather compromised.

powerflower

Banned
Can you elaborate on this?

Oh sure as good as I can. As far as my understanding goes Saturn generates 2D and 3D in an very unconventional way which has its roots in Model1 (3D) and System32 (2D).

Sprites:

With a grain of salt. VDP1 generates the sprites and manipulates them (rotation, scaling, etc. and distorts them to put them correctly into the 3D polygon setup or just 2D.

VDP2 manages the 5 BG layer setup. The difference between Saturn and let's say Mega Drive is FrameBuffering vs. per scanline video output. On MD you have the 2 BG layers and simultaniously sprites on top or behind or both.

Saturn generates everything in a dual frame buffer so sprites and BG are ultimately a "bitmap" after all manipulations are done. System32 works very similar hence the "no max. sprite restriction". You can plaster the buffer with lots of sprites but have to be aware to run into bus-bandwith-bottlenecks. MD has its hard wired sprite per screen + sprite pixels per scanline restrictions.

3D: Saturn generates its polygon setup in quads like Model1, 2 and 3. And both CPUs are free for vector calculations as usual at that time.

PSX does everything in triangles BUT can also do quads (?). Not 100% sure.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Neo Geo CD version of Samurai Spirits 2 got a Windows port in the 90s. I think one of the Fatal Fury games got one, too, but Samurai Spirits 2 is the only one I have played, and to be honest, I don't really remember how it compared to the arcade original.

Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble got a Windows release with net play as did BAM2, also Fatal Fury 3 too and usually in a two pack with Samurai Shodown 2. I had them back in the day.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Oh sure as good as I can. As far as my understanding goes Saturn generates 2D and 3D in an very unconventional way which has its roots in Model1 (3D) and System32 (2D).

Sprites:

With a grain of salt. VDP1 generates the sprites and manipulates them (rotation, scaling, etc. and distorts them to put them correctly into the 3D polygon setup or just 2D.

VDP2 manages the 5 BG layer setup. The difference between Saturn and let's say Mega Drive is FrameBuffering vs. per scanline video output. On MD you have the 2 BG layers and simultaniously sprites on top or behind or both.

Saturn generates everything in a dual frame buffer so sprites and BG are ultimately a "bitmap" after all manipulations are done. System32 works very similar hence the "no max. sprite restriction". You can plaster the buffer with lots of sprites but have to be aware to run into bus-bandwith-bottlenecks. MD has its hard wired sprite per screen + sprite pixels per scanline restrictions.

3D: Saturn generates its polygon setup in quads like Model1, 2 and 3. And both CPUs are free for vector calculations as usual at that time.

PSX does everything in triangles BUT can also do quads (?). Not 100% sure.

Hmm, OK. I was aware of how VDP1 and 2 have different jobs (I posted a link to a video that does a great job describing the Saturn architecture a year or so ago - I'll try to find it again) but I guess your details make me wonder what a "true" sprite really is. I've never made a game, but from working in motion graphics, I figured the process was somewhat similar: create a still or an animation loop as a graphical asset, then import it into the game engine (or something like After Effects in my case). In other words, I figured a "sprite" is any 2D raster graphic (or animation loop in the case of anything that isn't static) with an alpha channel, whether it's a BMP, or even a PNG or PSD.