best portable audio player - sound quality wise?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Personally, I've never bothered with sound quality in my car. It would be too expensive to upgrade my speakers and amps, plus factor in the road noise, wind noise, etc, and I don't think I'd ever be satisfied. If you have a great car setup, maybe that's different. But I really don't think I'd notice a difference between MP3 and lossless in my car.

I was into car audio a few lifetimes ago...but it didn’t take long before i realized what you’re saying. All I expect from my non luxury, non ultra quiet vehicles is moderate volume and sufficient clarity. Like you said, too much outside interference to attain superb audio quality.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I am into car audio as I don't get to listen to music at desirable levels at home. That and on top of being a long time fan of electronic music, I also produce my own. It's one thing to hear what I'm creating through headphones, but it's also nice to hear with a decent sound system in the car(which I generally just do on the drive to/from work).
I do have the manners to turn down the volume at stop lights and in neighborhoods.

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I am into car audio as I don't get to listen to music at desirable levels at home. That and on top of being a long time fan of electronic music, I also produce my own. It's one thing to hear what I'm creating through headphones, but it's also nice to hear with a decent sound system in the car(which I generally just do on the drive to/from work).
I do have the manners to turn down the volume at stop lights and in neighborhoods.

I am into car audio also.
When a car is setup and tuned nicely, you can get it get it to sound loud and clear.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Oh, I definitely think there's a place for good car audio; I'm mainly saying that chasing the dragon for car audio isn't usually a great idea. I wish my car's audio was clearer at high volumes, but once you get a "good enough" sound, I think the returns diminish much quicker in car audio than they do with home and portable audio.