Avenue 3 Pad Registering multiple buttons

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Just got a Core Grafx II with an Avenue 3 pad included. When I hold down the II button and press left up or left down it also registers that I am pressing the Run button and pauses the game. Does the same thing on button I but on the right side of the dpad. Button III seems unaffected.

Did some general checks, cleaned all the pads and the board and reseated the plug that the cord plugs into on the mainboard. Didn't see any bad solder joints and checked my other avenue 3 pad on the same system.

Could one of the chips gone bad or is there something else I can do to try and test what is causing the issue?

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just got a Core Grafx II with an Avenue 3 pad included. When I hold down the II button and press left up or left down it also registers that I am pressing the Run button and pauses the game. Does the same thing on button I but on the right side of the dpad. Button III seems unaffected.

Did some general checks, cleaned all the pads and the board and reseated the plug that the cord plugs into on the mainboard. Didn't see any bad solder joints and checked my other avenue 3 pad on the same system.

Could one of the chips gone bad or is there something else I can do to try and test what is causing the issue?

Have a Hori fighting stick multi that did some crazy thing like that. Turned out to be the cable. Could be the connector going into the Pce or something on the pcb that went bad.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Have a Hori fighting stick multi that did some crazy thing like that. Turned out to be the cable. Could be the connector going into the Pce or something on the pcb that went bad.

Think you were spot on, I took a cable from another pc engine controller and plugged it in and everything seems to work fine. So guessing its the cable, but not sure how I could fix that, since its prob somewhere in the sheeth. I would just swap a pc engine cable in, but they are different on how they are held by the controller casing, the Avenue pad has a notch that the casing closes down on.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Think you were spot on, I took a cable from another pc engine controller and plugged it in and everything seems to work fine. So guessing its the cable, but not sure how I could fix that, since its prob somewhere in the sheeth. I would just swap a pc engine cable in, but they are different on how they are held by the controller casing, the Avenue pad has a notch that the casing closes down on.

Can you get one of these and just affix the original end to it with the notch? Might require some shrink tubing with it to make it look cleaner though...
IMG_4051.JPG

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
The notch is molded onto the cord so not sure I would be able to transfer it. Guess I could get the cord and just hope it doesn't pull free :O

exPFwyP.jpg

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Couldn't you take that grommet off of that cable, carefully cut it down one side, and then glue, or tape it, on to the new cable?

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Couldn't you take that grommet off of that cable, carefully cut it down one side, and then glue, or tape it, on to the new cable?
That will prob be my last ditch try hehe. Hoping I can find some shrink tubing like the grommet.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
That will prob be my last ditch try hehe. Hoping I can find some shrink tubing like the grommet.

Yeah that cord is jank anyways so take a sharp blade and do some surgery on just the notch part and try to melt the rubber back onto the new cord or just get a strong glue. If you make a vertical slice on the bottom side you woudnt even notice the cut unless you turned the contorller upside down :-) you can always affix the connector inside the controller too in case you are worried about it pulling lose. Call that guy who uses gallons of hot glue he might help ya out :-)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yeah that cord is jank anyways so take a sharp blade and do some surgery on just the notch part and try to melt the rubber back onto the new cord or just get a strong glue. If you make a vertical slice on the bottom side you woudnt even notice the cut unless you turned the contorller upside down :-) you can always affix the connector inside the controller too in case you are worried about it pulling lose. Call that guy who uses gallons of hot glue he might help ya out :-)

227h9j.jpg