Painting: New Balance 574

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I painted this for a friend. These were her signature sneakers before she retired them recently.

Qrxndke.jpg

Igakajook

Armored Scrum Object
Looks cool. I like how the background creates a nice dynamic with the cartoon-vibe of the shoe itself. Curious if she requested this of you or if you just made it on your own.

Side note: It's interesting how shoes are such an exciting thing for some people and not for others. I have a friend that just bought 3 variations of the same $300 sneaker. I can't even imagine buying one $300 pair, let alone 3, but it's perfectly in the realm of normal to him.

West

Mr. Big's Thug
Nice one man. The 574 is a classic and I dig the clean graphic style you went with for the painting. NB has some pretty cool ID options on their site for making your own colorway of 574's. I did a pair for my father in law for xmas. Post up any other shoe paintings you've done.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
nice one. very nice effect. really pops out.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Thanks, guys!

Looks cool. I like how the background creates a nice dynamic with the cartoon-vibe of the shoe itself. Curious if she requested this of you or if you just made it on your own.

Side note: It's interesting how shoes are such an exciting thing for some people and not for others. I have a friend that just bought 3 variations of the same $300 sneaker. I can't even imagine buying one $300 pair, let alone 3, but it's perfectly in the realm of normal to him.

She didn't request it, but for my birthday she made me a giant scarf / blanket that must've taken a lot of effort, so I wanted to return the favor. Plus, she was pretty bummed that she finally had to retire this pair, since they were so worn out.

Yeah, I kind of equate it to people who are into cars. There's something about the design that's easy to obsess over, and their appearance can be an extension of your personality. The thing is that most people can't afford multiple cars, but they can afford a bunch of sneakers, so some people develop a problem :lolz:. I don't really have a sneaker problem, but there have been times where I either couldn't stop myself or regretted not picking something up and went back and paid extra on eBay to get them.

Nice one man. The 574 is a classic and I dig the clean graphic style you went with for the painting. NB has some pretty cool ID options on their site for making your own colorway of 574's. I did a pair for my father in law for xmas. Post up any other shoe paintings you've done.

Yeah, it's a great silhouette and lends itself to cool color blocking. New Balance get pretty creative with materials, too. I just wish they had more non-leather options. I love mesh and cloth uppers. These are my gym sneakers:
new-balance-574-island-pack-00.jpg

This was actually my first sneaker painting. It was really difficult to make the jump from the vector drawing to the canvas, but the drawing itself only took a few hours. So I'm planning on doing drawings for Air Max 1, InstaPump Fury, and maybe Superstars and have them printed as stickers. The painting took a long time, so I'll probably turn the Air Max 1 one into a painting over the course of a month or so, but I definitely can't crank these out like I can with the superflat pokemon stuff I've done. I'll try to find a photo of those. Since they're really simple, I only need to do a few coats of paint, so it really is superflat, as opposed to this, where there is a bit of lumpiness. I could have sanded stuff down on the 574, but I was going crazy wanting to just get it done.