Which 6-button pad to buy for a genesis?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
As the originals are rather costly on the secondary market - which pads can you guys recommend?
Thank you for any input.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
honestly, the hyperkin ones are great if you can find them. they are the closest ive seen to the stock ones.

Seconded. I've only (extensively) used the USB version of the Hyperkin (which I assume has the same exact buttons), but the Hyperkin is the best Genesis knock-off I've seen as well. The buttons are still way more stiff than a broken-in real Genesis controller, but still very nice.

Question though: in the USA the Hyperkin's are around $15. Real/original 6-button Genesis controllers are around that too...so why not buy original? Just make sure to buy it from an eBay seller who offers a return policy since these things are pretty old now and now all work 100% like they should. Are things different different in regards to price on eBay in Austria?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Says free ship but is actually $20 with taxes to euroland, but all in all that's an affordable price I guess - thank you for the hint, will see what's floating around locally - I was mainly interested in which controller model you recommend.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Seconded. I've only (extensively) used the USB version of the Hyperkin (which I assume has the same exact buttons), but the Hyperkin is the best Genesis knock-off I've seen as well. The buttons are still way more stiff than a broken-in real Genesis controller, but still very nice.

Question though: in the USA the Hyperkin's are around $15. Real/original 6-button Genesis controllers are around that too...so why not buy original? Just make sure to buy it from an eBay seller who offers a return policy since these things are pretty old now and now all work 100% like they should. Are things different different in regards to price on eBay in Austria?

Yeah - retro hype is real. Local resellers sell their used controllers like gold (talking EUR 30,- for a used 6 button pad with no return guarantee, etc.)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Says free ship but is actually $20 with taxes to euroland, but all in all that's an affordable price I guess - thank you for the hint, will see what's floating around locally - I was mainly interested in which controller model you recommend.

The hyperkin or OG sega hands down, I've used literally 20 or 30 of those knockoffs and they are terribad.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I've used literally 20 or 30 of those knockoffs and they are terribad.

I have bought a couple of six-button controllers from China, but the only thing they're good for is as base in controller modding. They're much smaller than the real deal, too. Nice tabs to solder to make things easy. If you have a stick you'd like to turn into a Megadrive controller, a Chinese MD controller is what you need. As for their intended purpose, they're utter shit, so don't bother.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I second the Sega Genesis MK-1653. It is just as good as a Sega Saturn model 2 controller except lacking triggers.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Subscribing to thread as a note to self. I have a favorite controller for this which I've mentioned on the forums before. I'll get access to it soon and post the details.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I find that all 3rd party controllers are shit and seem to be broken over the time. The 6 button sega ones seem to hold up the best.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
in the uk megadrive pads still go for cheap as do a lot of the games. i guess they're not as in demand here as they are elsewhere.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
I just bought 2 Hyperkin GN6 controllers on eBay for $18 shipped and I'm impressed by the quality. Stiffer switches than Sega's, but I'm sure they'll be fine after a bit of break-in. No-brainer at that price.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Did you find anything on that topic?

"Unknown brand" sadly. I don't have an original pad to compare it too, but if I remember the buttons on this are a little stiffer and the d-pad is a little more fluid. I dug them out and found a photo of one here:

900.jpg

That photo is from a thread about third party controllers in this thread on sega-16.com

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?10530-Third-party-controllers-amp-impressions&

Photobucket burned a lot of the photos due to the age of the thread.

Rhino looks interesting. Like the one above, but has a more severe concave d-pad.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
"Unknown brand" sadly. I don't have an original pad to compare it too, but if I remember the buttons on this are a little stiffer and the d-pad is a little more fluid. I dug them out and found a photo of one here:

View attachment 48189

That photo is from a thread about third party controllers in this thread on sega-16.com

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?10530-Third-party-controllers-amp-impressions&

Photobucket burned a lot of the photos due to the age of the thread.

Rhino looks interesting. Like the one above, but has a more severe concave d-pad.

That pad is a Super Pad made by Performance, it's one of the worst ones out of the bunch. Buttons are super squishy and teh D-pad is no bueno. I had like 6 of them at one point and jsut gave them away.

Sega-Genesis-Super-Pad-6-Button-Controller-Performance.jpg

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
That pad is a Super Pad made by Performance, it's one of the worst ones out of the bunch. Buttons are super squishy and teh D-pad is no bueno. I had like 6 of them at one point and jsut gave them away.

View attachment 48190

I've been told I have bad taste in games. I guess that extends to controllers as well.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I just bought 2 Hyperkin GN6 controllers on eBay for $18 shipped and I'm impressed by the quality. Stiffer switches than Sega's, but I'm sure they'll be fine after a bit of break-in. No-brainer at that price.

Sorry to say they don't break in (after tens and tens of hours using mine at least).