Thread: Which 6-button pad to buy for a genesis?

Ukyo's Doctor

Which 6-button pad to buy for a genesis?

As the originals are rather costly on the secondary market - which pads can you guys recommend?
    Thank you for any input.
    Berries fighting game quest signature is under development - Completed NeoGeo MVS fighters so far: AoF, AoF2, AoF3, SS, SS2, SS3, SS4, KoF94, KoF95, KoF96, KoF97, KoF98, WH, WH2, WH2Jet, Waku Waku 7, FF, FF2, FFS, FF3, Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, Kabuki Klash, Galaxy Fight, Last Blade
    http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...59#post3851759

honestly, the hyperkin ones are great if you can find them. they are the closest ive seen to the stock ones.

Why not this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292366020544?ul_noapp=true
    Last edited by Kid Panda; 12-28-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    honestly, the hyperkin ones are great if you can find them. they are the closest ive seen to the stock ones.
    Seconded. I've only (extensively) used the USB version of the Hyperkin (which I assume has the same exact buttons), but the Hyperkin is the best Genesis knock-off I've seen as well. The buttons are still way more stiff than a broken-in real Genesis controller, but still very nice.

Question though: in the USA the Hyperkin's are around $15. Real/original 6-button Genesis controllers are around that too...so why not buy original? Just make sure to buy it from an eBay seller who offers a return policy since these things are pretty old now and now all work 100% like they should. Are things different different in regards to price on eBay in Austria?

Ukyo's Doctor

Why not this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292366020544?ul_noapp=true
    because shipping is $25 for me (as for the stock controllers I don't have a good overview of gray vs red vs blue start button, quality seems to differ)
    Berries fighting game quest signature is under development - Completed NeoGeo MVS fighters so far: AoF, AoF2, AoF3, SS, SS2, SS3, SS4, KoF94, KoF95, KoF96, KoF97, KoF98, WH, WH2, WH2Jet, Waku Waku 7, FF, FF2, FFS, FF3, Savage Reign, Kizuna Encounter, Kabuki Klash, Galaxy Fight, Last Blade

Ukyo's Doctor

Says free ship but is actually $20 with taxes to euroland, but all in all that's an affordable price I guess - thank you for the hint, will see what's floating around locally - I was mainly interested in which controller model you recommend.

Ukyo's Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Seconded. I've only (extensively) used the USB version of the Hyperkin (which I assume has the same exact buttons), but the Hyperkin is the best Genesis knock-off I've seen as well. The buttons are still way more stiff than a broken-in real Genesis controller, but still very nice.

Question though: in the USA the Hyperkin's are around $15. Real/original 6-button Genesis controllers are around that too...so why not buy original? Just make sure to buy it from an eBay seller who offers a return policy since these things are pretty old now and now all work 100% like they should. Are things different different in regards to price on eBay in Austria?
    Yeah - retro hype is real. Local resellers sell their used controllers like gold (talking EUR 30,- for a used 6 button pad with no return guarantee, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by BerryTogart View Post
    Says free ship but is actually $20 with taxes to euroland, but all in all that's an affordable price I guess - thank you for the hint, will see what's floating around locally - I was mainly interested in which controller model you recommend.
    The hyperkin or OG sega hands down, I've used literally 20 or 30 of those knockoffs and they are terribad.

Somewhere in Europe.

I've used literally 20 or 30 of those knockoffs and they are terribad.
    I have bought a couple of six-button controllers from China, but the only thing they're good for is as base in controller modding. They're much smaller than the real deal, too. Nice tabs to solder to make things easy. If you have a stick you'd like to turn into a Megadrive controller, a Chinese MD controller is what you need. As for their intended purpose, they're utter shit, so don't bother.

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

I second the Sega Genesis MK-1653. It is just as good as a Sega Saturn model 2 controller except lacking triggers.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.
    Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition Serial #NS294668665 Nintendo 64 "Funtastic Series" Jungle Green Serial #NS28721865

Ukyo's Doctor

Thank you guys, will focus my search on what you suggested.

Subscribing to thread as a note to self. I have a favorite controller for this which I've mentioned on the forums before. I'll get access to it soon and post the details.
    Discounted shipping, even on your forum buy/sell/trade threads. No membership fees.

Armored Scrum Object

I find that all 3rd party controllers are shit and seem to be broken over the time. The 6 button sega ones seem to hold up the best.

Ukyo's Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSublime View Post
    Subscribing to thread as a note to self. I have a favorite controller for this which I've mentioned on the forums before. I'll get access to it soon and post the details.
    Did you find anything on that topic?

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!

in the uk megadrive pads still go for cheap as do a lot of the games. i guess they're not as in demand here as they are elsewhere.

War Room Troll

I just bought 2 Hyperkin GN6 controllers on eBay for $18 shipped and I'm impressed by the quality. Stiffer switches than Sega's, but I'm sure they'll be fine after a bit of break-in. No-brainer at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by BerryTogart View Post
    Did you find anything on that topic?
    "Unknown brand" sadly. I don't have an original pad to compare it too, but if I remember the buttons on this are a little stiffer and the d-pad is a little more fluid. I dug them out and found a photo of one here:

900.jpg

That photo is from a thread about third party controllers in this thread on sega-16.com

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...p-impressions&

Photobucket burned a lot of the photos due to the age of the thread.

Rhino looks interesting. Like the one above, but has a more severe concave d-pad.
    Discounted shipping, even on your forum buy/sell/trade threads. No membership fees.

"Unknown brand" sadly. I don't have an original pad to compare it too, but if I remember the buttons on this are a little stiffer and the d-pad is a little more fluid. I dug them out and found a photo of one here:

900.jpg

That photo is from a thread about third party controllers in this thread on sega-16.com

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...p-impressions&

Photobucket burned a lot of the photos due to the age of the thread.

Rhino looks interesting. Like the one above, but has a more severe concave d-pad.
    That pad is a Super Pad made by Performance, it's one of the worst ones out of the bunch. Buttons are super squishy and teh D-pad is no bueno. I had like 6 of them at one point and jsut gave them away.

Sega-Genesis-Super-Pad-6-Button-Controller-Performance.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillzguy View Post
    I sometimes wish I didn't have Aspergers as I feel game related collecting would be a mild hobby rather than an obsession.

That pad is a Super Pad made by Performance, it's one of the worst ones out of the bunch. Buttons are super squishy and teh D-pad is no bueno. I had like 6 of them at one point and jsut gave them away.

Sega-Genesis-Super-Pad-6-Button-Controller-Performance.jpg
    I've been told I have bad taste in games. I guess that extends to controllers as well.

I've been told I have bad taste in games. I guess that extends to controllers as well.
    Nah, not your fault. Get a Sega pad and be prepared to be blown away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillzguy View Post
    I sometimes wish I didn't have Aspergers as I feel game related collecting would be a mild hobby rather than an obsession.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
    I just bought 2 Hyperkin GN6 controllers on eBay for $18 shipped and I'm impressed by the quality. Stiffer switches than Sega's, but I'm sure they'll be fine after a bit of break-in. No-brainer at that price.
    Sorry to say they don't break in (after tens and tens of hours using mine at least).

War Room Troll

Quote Originally Posted by Dochartaigh View Post
    Sorry to say they don't break in (after tens and tens of hours using mine at least).
    I guess my thumbs are going to get freakishly strong then.

Thread Information