Anyone able to soft/hard mod a Japanese (NTSC-J) XBOX?

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I have a board revision 1.6 japanese original XBOX that Id like to softmod but I cannot find the requisite games (Asian versions of Splinter Cell, Mech Assault/ some others) So I was wondering if someone had any experience doing this? Or I suppose they could do it via a hotswap mod or a modchip, Id be fine with any of these methods, but I myself cannot (I dont have a PC to do the hotswap etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You don't need a physical switch on the Gamecube. With a Xeno chip installed it will boot any game from any region. it's probably easier to install than an actual region switch.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Thank you guys very much, before checking up on this thread I got to looking into Xeno installs and actually bought a laser assembly of of someone who'd already installed the chip, so Ill just swap that one in my cube. Again, thank you guys for the info! And thank you for looking for the freeloader too Neodogg! I appreciate it!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One thing with the Xeno, if you look at the instructions for testing it it tells you that the LED on the chip will flash different colors depending on if it's working or not. On the current chips this is a lie, the LED doesn't change colors. I reinstalled my chip like 5 times before I finally just threw a burned copy of F-Zero GX and found that it worked fine.