KOF '98

NeoGeo64

Zero's Secretary
You have to admit that it's the best fighting game ever made and the best game on the Neo Geo hands down.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Great game but '96, '99 and 2k are my faves.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I'd say its probably top 5 on the system. I dont think I could pick a single game to be the "best".

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I'd say its probably top 5 on the system. I dont think I could pick a single game to be the "best".

+1

it's hard to pick a single best game. i could do is a top 5 or 10 even.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Never got into Kof as much as people rave about it. Street Fighter is much better IMO and also prefer the Samsho series over KOF.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
95, and 96 are my favorites. I have tried and tried and don't see what the hype is about on 98.

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Same for me. '98 is a great game on a technical side but I like the old school KoFs much more for their feeling and atmosphere.
Plus the announcer sucks hard on '98. She is almost yelling at you. Don't like female voices for announcers anyway.

NeoField

Rugal's Thug
Is there some reason 98 is regarded so highly? Combos or stages or something? I think its great but curious why this game is always been regarded as the best KOF?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Is there some reason 98 is regarded so highly? Combos or stages or something? I think its great but curious why this game is always been regarded as the best KOF?

Its a well balanced, noncanonical dream match with a huge roster of characters.

selfReg

n00b
the balance and systems are basically perfect, with the sizable cast being outstanding. It is without a doubt the greatest KoF ever from a gameplay perspective, but I would have to agree that there are probably a handful of other KoFs that have a better overall presentation.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I'm a 96, 98 and 2002 fan. However I prefer 98 to any other years. I cant say its the best though, the Neo has a few better.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Back in 1998-2000 nobody really cared that much about KOF '98. It played too similarly to KOF '97 and the graphics were getting to be considered outdated.

Personally '98UM is one of my favorite games, but even limiting the selection to Neo Geo games. No. KOF '98 isn't the best Neo Geo game.

Garou
Last Blade 2
Real Bout 2
Samurai Shodown 2

Four off the top of my head I consider better games.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Back in 1998-2000 nobody really cared that much about KOF '98. It played too similarly to KOF '97 and the graphics were getting to be considered outdated.

Personally '98UM is one of my favorite games, but even limiting the selection to Neo Geo games. No. KOF '98 isn't the best Neo Geo game.

Garou
Last Blade 2
Real Bout 2
Samurai Shodown 2

Are you kidding? Kof98 was Uber popular in 98. If you can find the dhp neogeo mailing list archives, 1998 was predominantly a discussion of kof98.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Garou
Last Blade 2
Real Bout 2
Samurai Shodown 2

Better how? LB2 & SSII are weapon based, RB2 & MotW each introduced stark modified/completely renewed Garou engines not represented in the KoF series. The lack of reason behind your statement makes it look like you're confusing 'better' with 'different'. The latter is merely a subjective argument.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Are you kidding? Kof98 was Uber popular in 98. If you can find the dhp neogeo mailing list archives, 1998 was predominantly a discussion of kof98.

yeah. 98 was loved from the beginning and the reason why people thought 99 was a let down was because most agreed that it wasn't as good as 98. we were even pissed that the saturn didn't get a port of 98.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster

Street Fighter III New Generation was a predominant discussion of 1998 as well. People also believe 3rd Strike was a success for Capcom, and not a nail in the coffin of their games division that they didn't rebound from it until just recently (SFV and games before that were done by 3rd party companies if someone didn't know).

Better how? LB2 & SSII are weapon based, RB2 & MotW each introduced stark modified/completely renewed Garou engines not represented in the KoF series. The lack of reason behind your statement makes it look like you're confusing 'better' with 'different'. The latter is merely a subjective argument.

The op said best fighting game made on the neo geo. Not best KOF game on the Neo Geo. I didn't want to wall of text with reason after reason I thought summing it up quickly would suffice but oh well.

KOF '98 - mostly recycled from KOF '97, shitty backgrounds, almost completely recycled music, game engine is considered the vanilla of KOF based games. Meaning there are other engines that are superior to it.

Garou - Better Graphics, all characters viable, the considered "lowest tier" character is the most popular (Rock)

Last Blade 2 - Better Graphics, the game engine is easy to get into hard to master, has instant kills (apparently they are a big deal),

Real Bout 2 - Better Graphics, Fine Tuned Game engine, managed to update how characters played compared to RBS, Has the biggest roster size for a FF game

Samurai Shodown 2 - Game Engine is regarded as one of the best of all time, instant kills,

Again I love '98UM since they fixed a lot of the problems '98 didn't have the time to do. new mid boss and bosses to choose from, new specials and supers for certain characters making it feel different the '97, added to a lot of the ex versions to make them more complete, added extra music to ex characters or music tracks for certain custom teams making it feel less recycled and more a celebration of KOF so far. The only thing that still sucked was the stages, but I can live w/ that.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Name 1 '98 background that was redone in another title. I.E. Kyo '95 Stage in Max Impact 2. Psycho Soldier/Japan Team '96 Stage in KOF XIII. Race Car '97 Stage in KOF XIV.

The only one I kinda like is the Old Men stage since it kinda reminds me of Akuma.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
Name 1 '98 background that was redone in another title. I.E. Kyo '95 Stage in Max Impact 2. Psycho Soldier/Japan Team '96 Stage in KOF XIII. Race Car '97 Stage in KOF XIV.

The only one I kinda like is the Old Men stage since it kinda reminds me of Akuma.

because the stages were not redone in other games makes them bad?. dude, you're the first persion i've ever come across who has said the stages in kof 98 are shit. go back to threads were people pick their favourite stages in fighters, many have picked kof 98.

some of the best stages in any fighter.

kof_stage.jpg

kof99-stage-krizalid-animate.gif

qoqppve.gif

3DgLW5Jh.jpg

Pxh5i.gif

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Street Fighter III New Generation was a predominant discussion of 1998 as well. People also believe 3rd Strike was a success for Capcom, and not a nail in the coffin of their games division that they didn't rebound from it until just recently (SFV and games before that were done by 3rd party companies if someone didn't know).

In the online neo-geo community in 1998? No. It was a lot of ‘98 talk, Deuce’s Last Blade 2 FAQ, metal slug 2, and some talk about Hyper Samurai Spirits 64. By 2000 there was talk about the ngp ngpc, msx, and kof 99. Street fighter talk was saved for other communities.

Source: I was there.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I love 95 but I can easily tell the appeal of 98 is in its deep roster, clean hit detection, and completeness.

Right there in that order I just nailed the weaknesses of 95, 96, and 97.