Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: KOF '98

  1. #1
    Crazed MVS Addict
    NeoGeo64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Leesburg, GA

    Posts
    141

    icon26.gif KOF '98

    You have to admit that it's the best fighting game ever made and the best game on the Neo Geo hands down.

  2. #2
    BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    3,757
    one of the best, sure.

  3. #3
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    11,237
    Great game but '96, '99 and 2k are my faves.



    !!

  4. #4
    Bead Banger
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kentucky

    Posts
    1,480
    I'd say its probably top 5 on the system. I dont think I could pick a single game to be the "best".

  5. #5
    King of Fighters Medic

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    5,784
    It sure is king of consent.

  6. #6
    BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I'd say its probably top 5 on the system. I dont think I could pick a single game to be the "best".
    +1

    it's hard to pick a single best game. i could do is a top 5 or 10 even.

  7. #7
    Formerly Raz_Hoe.
    RAZO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Jersey

    Posts
    6,540
    Never got into Kof as much as people rave about it. Street Fighter is much better IMO and also prefer the Samsho series over KOF.

  8. #8
    I wish my name
    IRL... Was Rich.
    SCOOPIN' USA!
    radiantsvgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Isle of the Vewlix, in the Castle of Scoops

    Posts
    1,321
    95, and 96 are my favorites. I have tried and tried and don't see what the hype is about on 98.

  9. #9
    Host for Orochi
    suicidekiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany

    Posts
    1,412
    Same for me. '98 is a great game on a technical side but I like the old school KoFs much more for their feeling and atmosphere.
    Plus the announcer sucks hard on '98. She is almost yelling at you. Don't like female voices for announcers anyway.


    Quote Originally Posted by Pep
    Your nickname suits very well for someone who has decided collecting NGH

  10. #10
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    NeoField's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Irvine, CA

    Posts
    89
    Is there some reason 98 is regarded so highly? Combos or stages or something? I think its great but curious why this game is always been regarded as the best KOF?
    Check out my Youtube Channel for Neo Geo and Retro arcade games... if anyone gives a sh%t
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrt...TyrSplIrG8H1Qg

  11. #11
    Bead Banger
    Niko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kentucky

    Posts
    1,480
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoField View Post
    Is there some reason 98 is regarded so highly? Combos or stages or something? I think its great but curious why this game is always been regarded as the best KOF?
    Its a well balanced, noncanonical dream match with a huge roster of characters.

  12. #12
    Kuroko's Training Dummy
    NeoField's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Irvine, CA

    Posts
    89
    That sums it up well, excellent one sentence review!
    Check out my Youtube Channel for Neo Geo and Retro arcade games... if anyone gives a sh%t
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrt...TyrSplIrG8H1Qg

  13. #13
    Member selfReg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    NORCAL

    Posts
    37
    the balance and systems are basically perfect, with the sizable cast being outstanding. It is without a doubt the greatest KoF ever from a gameplay perspective, but I would have to agree that there are probably a handful of other KoFs that have a better overall presentation.

  14. #14
    NG.com Tattoo Artist.
    djjimmyjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Brockport, NY

    Posts
    780
    I'm a 96, 98 and 2002 fan. However I prefer 98 to any other years. I cant say its the best though, the Neo has a few better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesagwa View Post
    If a middle aged woman shitting on a glass coffee table shocks you, let me welcome you to the internet as you must be new here.

  15. #15
    Axel's Trainer

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,932
    Back in 1998-2000 nobody really cared that much about KOF '98. It played too similarly to KOF '97 and the graphics were getting to be considered outdated.

    Personally '98UM is one of my favorite games, but even limiting the selection to Neo Geo games. No. KOF '98 isn't the best Neo Geo game.

    Garou
    Last Blade 2
    Real Bout 2
    Samurai Shodown 2


    Four off the top of my head I consider better games.

  16. #16
    Master Cylinder Evil Wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2066
    Location
    В Санкт Петербурге

    Posts
    52,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bakaboy View Post
    Back in 1998-2000 nobody really cared that much about KOF '98. It played too similarly to KOF '97 and the graphics were getting to be considered outdated.

    Personally '98UM is one of my favorite games, but even limiting the selection to Neo Geo games. No. KOF '98 isn't the best Neo Geo game.

    Garou
    Last Blade 2
    Real Bout 2
    Samurai Shodown 2


    Four off the top of my head I consider better games.
    Are you kidding? Kof98 was Uber popular in 98. If you can find the dhp neogeo mailing list archives, 1998 was predominantly a discussion of kof98.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

    Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

  17. #17
    King of Fighters Medic

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cologne

    Posts
    5,784
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bakaboy View Post
    Garou
    Last Blade 2
    Real Bout 2
    Samurai Shodown 2


    Four off the top of my head I consider better games.
    Better how? LB2 & SSII are weapon based, RB2 & MotW each introduced stark modified/completely renewed Garou engines not represented in the KoF series. The lack of reason behind your statement makes it look like you're confusing 'better' with 'different'. The latter is merely a subjective argument.

  18. #18
    BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Wasabi View Post
    Are you kidding? Kof98 was Uber popular in 98. If you can find the dhp neogeo mailing list archives, 1998 was predominantly a discussion of kof98.
    yeah. 98 was loved from the beginning and the reason why people thought 99 was a let down was because most agreed that it wasn't as good as 98. we were even pissed that the saturn didn't get a port of 98.

  19. #19
    Axel's Trainer

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Wasabi View Post
    Are you kidding? Kof98 was Uber popular in 98. If you can find the dhp neogeo mailing list archives, 1998 was predominantly a discussion of kof98.
    Street Fighter III New Generation was a predominant discussion of 1998 as well. People also believe 3rd Strike was a success for Capcom, and not a nail in the coffin of their games division that they didn't rebound from it until just recently (SFV and games before that were done by 3rd party companies if someone didn't know).

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverclaude View Post
    Better how? LB2 & SSII are weapon based, RB2 & MotW each introduced stark modified/completely renewed Garou engines not represented in the KoF series. The lack of reason behind your statement makes it look like you're confusing 'better' with 'different'. The latter is merely a subjective argument.
    The op said best fighting game made on the neo geo. Not best KOF game on the Neo Geo. I didn't want to wall of text with reason after reason I thought summing it up quickly would suffice but oh well.

    KOF '98 - mostly recycled from KOF '97, shitty backgrounds, almost completely recycled music, game engine is considered the vanilla of KOF based games. Meaning there are other engines that are superior to it.

    Garou - Better Graphics, all characters viable, the considered "lowest tier" character is the most popular (Rock)

    Last Blade 2 - Better Graphics, the game engine is easy to get into hard to master, has instant kills (apparently they are a big deal),

    Real Bout 2 - Better Graphics, Fine Tuned Game engine, managed to update how characters played compared to RBS, Has the biggest roster size for a FF game

    Samurai Shodown 2 - Game Engine is regarded as one of the best of all time, instant kills,

    Again I love '98UM since they fixed a lot of the problems '98 didn't have the time to do. new mid boss and bosses to choose from, new specials and supers for certain characters making it feel different the '97, added to a lot of the ex versions to make them more complete, added extra music to ex characters or music tracks for certain custom teams making it feel less recycled and more a celebration of KOF so far. The only thing that still sucked was the stages, but I can live w/ that.

  20. #20
    BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bakaboy View Post

    KOF '98 shitty backgrounds
    bakaboy, i like you, dude, but you crazy.

  21. #21
    Axel's Trainer

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Louis

    Posts
    1,932
    Name 1 '98 background that was redone in another title. I.E. Kyo '95 Stage in Max Impact 2. Psycho Soldier/Japan Team '96 Stage in KOF XIII. Race Car '97 Stage in KOF XIV.

    The only one I kinda like is the Old Men stage since it kinda reminds me of Akuma.

  22. #22
    BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!
    Bogard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    LONDON

    Posts
    3,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bakaboy View Post
    Name 1 '98 background that was redone in another title. I.E. Kyo '95 Stage in Max Impact 2. Psycho Soldier/Japan Team '96 Stage in KOF XIII. Race Car '97 Stage in KOF XIV.

    The only one I kinda like is the Old Men stage since it kinda reminds me of Akuma.
    because the stages were not redone in other games makes them bad?. dude, you're the first persion i've ever come across who has said the stages in kof 98 are shit. go back to threads were people pick their favourite stages in fighters, many have picked kof 98.

    some of the best stages in any fighter.











  23. #23
    Master Cylinder Evil Wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2066
    Location
    В Санкт Петербурге

    Posts
    52,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bakaboy View Post
    Street Fighter III New Generation was a predominant discussion of 1998 as well. People also believe 3rd Strike was a success for Capcom, and not a nail in the coffin of their games division that they didn't rebound from it until just recently (SFV and games before that were done by 3rd party companies if someone didn't know).
    In the online neo-geo community in 1998? No. It was a lot of ‘98 talk, Deuce’s Last Blade 2 FAQ, metal slug 2, and some talk about Hyper Samurai Spirits 64. By 2000 there was talk about the ngp ngpc, msx, and kof 99. Street fighter talk was saved for other communities.

    Source: I was there.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

    Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

  24. #24
    Zero's Tailor

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pico Rivera, CA.

    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by radiantsvgun View Post
    95, and 96 are my favorites. I have tried and tried and don't see what the hype is about on 98.
    I agree, and in that order, 95 then 96.

  25. #25
    Master Cylinder Evil Wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2066
    Location
    В Санкт Петербурге

    Posts
    52,382
    I love 95 but I can easily tell the appeal of 98 is in its deep roster, clean hit detection, and completeness.

    Right there in that order I just nailed the weaknesses of 95, 96, and 97.
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken.

    Neo Geo Dip Switch wiki page

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I didn't even talk about how you live in a shack and shit in the fucking forest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGohan View Post
    I mean, at least I didn't say your wife should divorce you or comment on your need to play RE while shitting or whatever else was said.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •