Game Boy Backlight, housing swap and bivert mod.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Great thread! I've been thinking about lighting and painting one of my very yellowed and beat up 8-bit greyscale Nintendo handhelds, but maybe a neat case swap might be in order.

Question for you guys: Does the bivert mod improve streaking (say you have a blank screen with a 10x10 pixel dark black square in the middle, you'd see a vague cross shape trailing off the square), or is it still visible? Just curious.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Nah dude, GBP backlight and bivert is absolutely worth it.

The backlight is, for sure, but what I meant was that for someone who isn't exactly used to soldering, the bivert might not be worth the trouble, as the contrast improvement is not as pronounced as with the classic GB. If you're fine with soldering those wires, than it's better to add a bivert, but if you're new to modding and soldering, you'll be happy with just the backlight. On its own, it's already a massive improvement over the Light.

In regards to everdrive power usage, I really want to try installing the kitsch-bent SEPIC board which is supposed to regulate the power a bit better for back-lit modded Gameboys.

How big of an improvement is it over the resistor on the positive wire of the backlight? I have heard that the EMS flash cartridge [2 x 32MBit banks] is particularly power hungry, but I haven't noticed any problems after installing the backlight, and I'm using rechargeable 1.2V batteries.

Question for you guys: Does the bivert mod improve streaking (say you have a blank screen with a 10x10 pixel dark black square in the middle, you'd see a vague cross shape trailing off the square), or is it still visible? Just curious.

I can make a test ROM with a black square to check, but so far I haven't seen anything that would indicate the presence of that effect.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Look ... visit any online store selling GB parts, and this is what you will see:

Websites that cater to the kinds of people who say "DMG" instead of "Game Boy" are saying "DMG"? Well, I'm shocked.

Do Nintendo themselves refer to the Game Boy as the DMG? (Hint: No)

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Websites that cater to the kinds of people who say "DMG" instead of "Game Boy" are saying "DMG"? Well, I'm shocked. Do Nintendo themselves refer to the Game Boy as the DMG? (Hint: No)

Just to put the whole DMG thing to rest, I don't call Game Boy "DMG" all the time. After browsing through these stores, looking for the best bivert module, backlight and prices, the DMG got burned into my brain, and that's what my brain defaulted to when I posted about all of those "DMG" labeled parts I bought and used. That is all. I think we've milked this whole DMG thing for what it's worth.

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Nah dude, GBP backlight and bivert is absolutely worth it.

gzz137t.jpg

7ei99pu.jpg

kRO5XEY.jpg

Fss9YBI.jpg

In regards to everdrive power usage, I really want to try installing the kitsch-bent SEPIC board which is supposed to regulate the power a bit better for back-lit modded Gameboys.
It might be a good solution for wanting to use an Everdrive with these.

Wow - that's a nice one!

HMG's an idiot. Game Boy Lite is like an oily massage on the eyes of a glaucoma victim.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
MordenGBLogoGif.gif

Ok. So here's a small test ROM for testing the GB display. Three images, change by pressing left and right, and invert the colors by pressing A.

IMG_4911.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

This was just a quick job, putting three images together, but if you want more test screens, just post them here. Four color, preferably greyscale, 160 x 144 resolution, and I'll build a ROM with all the test screens compiled.