Game Boy Backlight, housing swap and bivert mod.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
Yep! I finally did it! It's been a long time coming, but it had to be done. This was my original DMG from 1991. It had yellowed over the years, it had dead vertical lines, significant scratches on the screen cover ... you name it. It was in rough shape.

GameBoyDMGScreenLines.jpg

Some time ago I have ordered everything I needed. A full replacement case with buttons and screws, an orange backlight panel and a bivert module. Additionally, despite getting a new screen cover with the case, I got a separate glass cover.

GameBoyDMGCaseBivertBacklight.jpg

A couple of fixes here and there, some soldering, and here it is. No dead lines, improved contrast and a backlight color matching the case. It's pretty amazing how good the contrast gets with the bivert mod and rotated polarizing filter.

GameBoyDMGCaseSwapScreenFixBacklight.jpg

I'm really happy with how it turned out. I wasn't using the original DMG, because why would I? Just about any model is better than the old, beat-up piece of junk. Every time I came across it, I was telling myself I should do something to fix it up.

I have waited for years to finally get this done. A good thing, too, because the bivert module is much easier to install in its latest incarnation. Backlights have gotten better as well.

I know you can buy these made to order these days, but it was a fun project for sure. It feels good to fix up a console you've had for so long, and be able to use it and enjoy it again.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I have an actual Game Boy Light, it's pretty hard on the eyes, even more than the Virtual Boy. That bivert mod for the DMG is tempting but I don't know if it's worth all the parts and headache trying to assemble.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I have an actual Game Boy Light, it's pretty hard on the eyes, even more than the Virtual Boy. That bivert mod for the DMG is tempting but I don't know if it's worth all the parts and headache trying to assemble.

If you're planning on installing a backlight in a DMG GB, bivert is a must. It's just such an improvement. Plus, you're already soldering, so why not solder some more? The worst thing about the whole process was peeling off the old polarizer and the reflective film, and cleaning up the gunk after that. People claim isopropyl alcohol does the job, but it did very little for me. I even tried acetone, and the old glue still didn't dissolve. It's ridiculous how much time I have spent just scrubbing the back of the screen.

Also, if you're after bright backlight with high contrast, it will most certainly yield better results than GB Light. Pockets can be modded, too. I've ordered the housing and glass screen from China, but the backlight and bivert were from UK. I paid £7 for the Pro Backlight and £5 for the bivert board. Backlights are usually £10 at that store, though. If you're not planning on swapping the housing, it's not that expensive.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
What the fuck is a "DMG"? Just call it a fucking Game Boy. Jesus. Do you say "shmups" too?

Sweet GAME BOY, morden.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
you can't just say "Game Boy", people instantly ask you if you are referring to the original, Pocket, Color, Advance or so on. It's like telling someone to just say "Xbox". Which one do you mean? "Original Game Boy" is too wordy. Its product code is "DMG", which is catchy and unique. The Pocket is MGB, Color is CGB and so on.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
you can't just say "Game Boy", people instantly ask you if you are referring to the original, Pocket, Color, Advance or so on. It's like telling someone to just say "Xbox". Which one do you mean? "Original Game Boy" is too wordy. Its product code is "DMG", which is catchy and unique. The Pocket is MGB, Color is CGB and so on.

If someone says "Game Boy" then they should be referring to the original GB, because that's a Game Boy. "DMG" is neither catchy nor unique. It makes you sound like a fucktard millennial who hangs out on /r/gamecollecting and keeps all of his games inside of clear plastic "protectors".

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If someone says "Game Boy" then they should be referring to the original GB, because that's a Game Boy. "DMG" is neither catchy nor unique. It makes you sound like a fucktard millennial who hangs out on /r/gamecollecting and keeps all of his games inside of clear plastic "protectors".

:lolz: I lost my shit.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

Which Game Boy?

It's not specific enough for people these days.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Which Game Boy?

The Game Boy. There's only one Game Boy. Everything else is a "Game Boy _____". Or then just say "original Game Boy". We don't need to invent some secret handshake dogwhistle wink wink lingo that only other twentysomething nouveau game "collectors" who weren't even born when the "DMG" came out but are happy to pay you tomorrow for a CIB copy of Mario's Picross today can understand. Go ask some guy my age who played games when he was a kid but doesn't anymore because he has three kids even though he didn't really want them but his wife did if he had a "DMG" back in the day. Then when he looks at you like he can't decide whether he wants to punch you in the dick or just go back in the house to spend some quality time with a six pack of whatever was on sale, ask him if he preferred horis or verts back when the only coupons he was clipping were the "buy $5 in tokens get $5 free" deals out of the phone book.

Edit: But seriously, Morden, that's a fucking boss-looking Game Boy.

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
To be fair, we all say NES and that's also the product code for the hardware and accessories. The NES Top Loader is NES-101.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
To be fair, we all say NES and that's also the product code for the hardware and accessories. The NES Top Loader is NES-101.

But it's also an acronym for Nintendo Entertainment System, and it's something that we said back in the day when we weren't just calling it a straight-up "Nintendo". And if anyone started referring to the OG NES as an "001" or "NES-001", and "101" or "NES-101" for the top-loader, I'd have the same reaction that I do with this shit. Saying "DMG" is like being the coolest kid on the short bus.

Hey Morden, where did you get the orange case for that baller-as-fuck Game Boy? I have a couple of systems that aren't looking so hot that could use some sprucing up.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
What the fuck is a "DMG"?

To be clear, I don't usually call the Game Boy "DMG". It is just Game Boy. When it comes to modding, parts and all of that, DMG is always there, to differentiate between models, and since this was a thread about a housing swap and backlight, the DMG just came up. Like I said, I've had this particular Game Boy since '91. The DMG didn't become a thing until the rise of the modding.

Hey Morden, where did you get the orange case for that baller-as-fuck Game Boy? I have a couple of systems that aren't looking so hot that could use some sprucing up.

From Aliexpress. I bought it from this listing. It's $7.33 shipped. It's good quality and fits perfectly, except for the EXT port cover, which is constantly falling out, but who needs that, anyway?

I suggest you get the glass screen cover as well. It's much more scratch resistant. It's $1.88 shipped.

The housing comes with screws and buttons, but doesn't include the silicone pads. Despite their age, mine were still fine, but that's something to keep in mind before you start ordering the parts.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
This is one of those Tetris players right?

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Very nice mod, cool how you got a new case to match the backlight color! How good is the quality of the replacement case?

Did the same thing to my original GameBoy last year and couldn't be happier, found myself playing the system a whole lot more. The bitvert really improves the image quality, it's like playing a completely different console. I also forgot how comfortable the original model was to hold and play.

Was planning to do the same thing on the pocket, but I read it's much more complicated.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Pockets are easier to mod now than they used to be. The only thing is that the screen and ribbon cables are a bit more fragile than on the original, and biverting is a bit more difficult if you aren't handy with soldering since the chip you have to use is much smaller.

Also a small warning, if you use a GB Everdrive it does not work well with a backlit Pocket. The GB, light, and flash cart are just a little too much for the two AAA's to handle. It will work with fresh batteries but after a couple hours of play they don't have enough juice anymore.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Pockets are easier to mod now than they used to be. The only thing is that the screen and ribbon cables are a bit more fragile than on the original, and biverting is a bit more difficult if you aren't handy with soldering since the chip you have to use is much smaller.

Also a small warning, if you use a GB Everdrive it does not work well with a backlit Pocket. The GB, light, and flash cart are just a little too much for the two AAA's to handle. It will work with fresh batteries but after a couple hours of play they don't have enough juice anymore.

Good to know, thanks for the info! I don't have an everdrive but was planning to pick one up to mess around with LSDJ, so I might pass on modding the Pocket.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
How good is the quality of the replacement case?

It's really good. Time will tell if the logo and button name print will hold up, but at this point, everything looks great. The only thing that didn't really work was the aforementioned EXT port cover, which kept on falling out, but to be honest, that port hasn't seen a cover in decades.

Pockets are easier to mod now than they used to be. (...) biverting is a bit more difficult if you aren't handy with soldering since the chip you have to use is much smaller.

Just to clarify, you have two choices when doing a bivert. A bare chip or a small board designed for wireless soldering onto the original GB's board. Both can be used with the Pocket, but I'd still choose the board, because it makes the soldering much easier on the chip side of things. Either way, you'll have to solder six wires to the GBP board and cut two traces, instead of lifting the pins, like you would do with the GB.

With GBP, to me the bottom line is this: Bivert does not make as big a difference in GBP as in a GB, so I don't think it's worth the trouble. Backlight however, absolutely is. I also think it's actually easier to install a backlight in a GBP, since the screen can be completely disconnected from the board. The ribbons are still there, but you have more freedom when holding it and peeling the original polarizer and reflective film off.

One more thing. I also bought a replacement case for a GBC. This was about ten years ago, but it was also from China. I don't know if they all come from the same manufacturing facility, but the case I got was a pretty bad fit. On its own it was fine, but with GBC guts in place, it didn't close properly without really forcing the screws in. Just putting it out there.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

The Game Boy. There's only one Game Boy. Everything else is a "Game Boy _____". Or then just say "original Game Boy". We don't need to invent some secret handshake dogwhistle wink wink lingo that only other twentysomething nouveau game "collectors" who weren't even born when the "DMG" came out but are happy to pay you tomorrow for a CIB copy of Mario's Picross today can understand. Go ask some guy my age who played games when he was a kid but doesn't anymore because he has three kids even though he didn't really want them but his wife did if he had a "DMG" back in the day. Then when he looks at you like he can't decide whether he wants to punch you in the dick or just go back in the house to spend some quality time with a six pack of whatever was on sale, ask him if he preferred horis or verts back when the only coupons he was clipping were the "buy $5 in tokens get $5 free" deals out of the phone book.

Edit: But seriously, Morden, that's a fucking boss-looking Game Boy.

thank you, I had no clue WTF a DMG was...

Sweet at looking Gameboy...

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
Had a pocket that I added a backlight and bivert mod. GBA SP-101 is way better and I won't be going back.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
No, thank you for proving my point.

Look ... visit any online store selling GB parts, and this is what you will see:

DMG01.jpg
DMG02.jpg
DMG03.jpg

Had a pocket that I added a backlight and bivert mod. GBA SP-101 is way better and I won't be going back.

Honestly, original GBA case and a backlit GBA screen are hard to beat, but in my case, I knew that if I didn't mod the GB, I'd never use it. It was just a fun project. Ever since I bought the GB Boy Colour, I rarely use GBC, even though the aspect ratio is slightly off.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Nah dude, GBP backlight and bivert is absolutely worth it.

gzz137t.jpg

7ei99pu.jpg

kRO5XEY.jpg

Fss9YBI.jpg

In regards to everdrive power usage, I really want to try installing the kitsch-bent SEPIC board which is supposed to regulate the power a bit better for back-lit modded Gameboys.
It might be a good solution for wanting to use an Everdrive with these.