4-Slot cab monitor wave

afs189

n00b
I have a 4 slot stand up, and the monitor is starting to flicker back and forth. Messed with the holds, couldn't get it to stop. It comes and goes.

From what I've read, it's a bad capacitor? I've ordered a multimeter and I'm going to go through them. Never really soldered before, but after watching a few videos, I think I can figure it out.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting my time. Is there anything else it could be that I'm missing?

afs189

n00b
Post a video of the issue.

I unplugged the monitor the other day, so I just plugged it back in to get video, and wouldn't you know, I cant get it to do it. Could it have just been a loose connection?

Either way, I'm gonna leave it running for a few hours or so just to see.

afs189

n00b
Very slight horizontal flicker, a few seconds at a time, minutes apart. Not really enough to capture on low res video, which is all my phone will do. Gonna go through all the caps, just to be sure.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Maybe take a look at your H-HOLD on the remote board. Try adjusting it. You might have a bad pot, in which case you'd need to replace it. If not, something in the horizontal deflection portion of the chassis is bad.

afs189

n00b
Maybe take a look at your H-HOLD on the remote board. Try adjusting it. You might have a bad pot, in which case you'd need to replace it. If not, something in the horizontal deflection portion of the chassis is bad.

Messed around with it a bit, seems real finicky. Never had a cabinet before, how precise so you have to be? Gonna leave it running for a while to see if it's still doing it (assume it is).

How do you replace a bad pot? I assume there's soldering involved?

If I just wanted to sell the whole thing, how much would this effect the price?

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Messed around with it a bit, seems real finicky. Never had a cabinet before, how precise so you have to be? Gonna leave it running for a while to see if it's still doing it (assume it is).

How do you replace a bad pot? I assume there's soldering involved?

If I just wanted to sell the whole thing, how much would this effect the price?

Yes, soldering is involved. If you have a common chassis like a WG K7000 and you don't want to solder, you could buy a new remote board (not a guaranteed fix) or a new chassis altogether. But do your homework before attempting chassis replacement. It's easy to mess things up.

In the broader scope, if you wanna own cabs, you need to learn about electronic circuitry including soldering and other basic repairs. Monitors can be a pain, but if you're willing to put in the work, they'll reward you. If you're not interested in that type of thing, I'd sell the cab and get a CMVS. And yes, a damaged chassis affects value.