GIMP rendering of NGPC

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I figured since this room on the forum hasn't had a post or a while I'd post something. I decided to draw the NGPC using GIMP for a project I'm working on. Here is a low resolution version of what I did.

https://ayce78.deviantart.com/art/Neo-Geo-Pocket-Color-Render-via-GIMP-719669381
neo_geo_pocket_color_render_via_gimp_by_ayce78-dbwh0g5.png

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Yeah, I took a photo of my NGPC for reference:
Photo_Dec_09_2_46_52_PM.jpg

I used to like drawing systems and haven't done one for a while. Of course, the last time I drew a console was almost 10 years ago so I was able to do this one using more techniques that I've learned since then.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Very impressive! I use GIMP too, and that's way better than anything I'd ever be able to do with that particular art program.

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
Thanks, I've been using the program for almost 20 years now, so I've had a bit of experience with it.

What device are you using to interface with your pc/mac ? A pen display or tablet ? the NGPC is stunning, if you didn't tell me at first glance I would have thought it was a render.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Yeah, my first impression was that it was a render too. I checked out a GIMP how-to book, on interlibrary loan, several years ago, and the author did have some basic instructions for doing stuff like this. I don't recall exactly, but, he/she had an example in the book of a 3-dimensional looking pine tree in a fenced yard or something, and that appeared rendered as well, but it was all done with the drawing tools in the program.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I'll stick to my crayolas thanks....

That's pretty amazing mate :A: +

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Wow, great work. But wouldn't it be easier / more flexible to do this with vector graphics?

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
What device are you using to interface with your pc/mac ? A pen display or tablet ? the NGPC is stunning, if you didn't tell me at first glance I would have thought it was a render.

For the most part I use my touchpad on my laptop. I do use a Wacom tablet but I only use that for blending when I'm doing things like the Sawada image I also posted here. I've just gotten so used to either using the touchpad or mouse that the tablet just feels awkward for most things.