Switched: How Nintendo Won Me Back

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I'm interested in this thread a lot. I've been struggling with motivation to play for years now, jumping from one idea to the next, hoping it will fire something up. The reality is I need it served up on a plate for me to choose gaming over my other "hobbies" (ng.com name calling, sitting up while my children vomit, worrying about money) and this could be the answer, it sounds like OP has gone through the same thing.

I haven't played a new game in earnest since SF4 on xbox 360 so power doesn't mean shit to me - it'll look good to my graphically starved eyes I'm sure.

Picking one up in the new year sales.

I did pick one up, and have been playing like a murrfukka for weeks. Loving it so much, the old spark is there for sure, couldn't be happier.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Also, Sony made Vita, which is an awesome system that can also play on TV (though a bit less easy than just docking). Heck, PSP can be played on TV via component cables. Too bad they don't have Nintendo games or else it would have sold like hotcakes.

. . . as did the Sega Nomad (Composite, anyway).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Also, Sony made Vita, which is an awesome system that can also play on TV (though a bit less easy than just docking). Heck, PSP can be played on TV via component cables. Too bad they don't have Nintendo games or else it would have sold like hotcakes.

It was even found there was a HDMI ouput on the mobo too. The extension port also had the speed to push it too. Sony yet again failed.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Man. That would have been cool back in the day. I didn't know.

Edit: ^No sarcasm here.

All good bro. I love my Nomad. Only thing that sucks a little is that hooked up via RGB to your tv, you have to use the Nomad to play your game. Would have been Nice if you could just connect a controller to the system and just play it like a regular Genny console. It has a Port for for Player 2 but not for player 1. The Nomad was way ahead of it's time. Very Under Rated handheld.

Last edited:

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Having always loved portables, and wanting something that does both since playing a Super Gameboy back in the day, this is everything I've wanted. On top of that, anytime a console gives me both Zelda AND Doom, I'm in paradise. Everything else on the platform is pure gravy.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
All good bro. I love my Nomad. Only thing that sucks a little is that hooked up via RGB to your tv, you have to use the Nomad to play your game. Would have been Nice if you could just connect a controller to the system and just play it like a regular Genny console. It has a Port for for Player 2 but not for player 1. The Nomad was way ahead of it's time. Very Under Rated handheld.

I think I had composite through a VCR, and then "Video Out" from a VCR to a 13" TV until the early 2000's. :make_fac:

I hadn't even heard of the Nomad until 99 or so, when I got one from a high school friend. Fantastic system, and considering Genesis games were a couple bucks at the time, it was hard to beat economically compared to GBA. Lots of Pigskin Footbrawl to be had. I don't know how the system wasn't more popular. It was big, but portability at the time was, "Don't hog the TV".

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Why would you buy Doom on the Switch though?

I haven't played many games that came out in the last 15 years or so. Don't have a PS4 or an XBox One. Never bother to buy the PC version. Now that I have a Switch and the port is relatively competent (some will say downright impressive all things considered), why not? Switch is great for those who missed out on the last couple consoles. I'm also going to play games like L.A. Noire and Skyrim for the first time ever. By all accounts the Skyrim port is fucking fantastic.

I did pick one up, and have been playing like a murrfukka for weeks. Loving it so much, the old spark is there for sure, couldn't be happier.

Glad you picked one up and even gladder that you're loving it so much! Yes, the old spark is there. There's some kind of magic to the Switch... it is the ideal console for today's gamer. You can dock it on your giant screen HD TV for a serious couch session, or play it in bed in portable or on a long flight. Also, as I and others have stated, there's something massively appealing about being able to play it in bed next to your SO. Many of us have our own game rooms that are isolated. Playing in those conditions usually means the SO is in another room doing her (or his) own thing. Switch allows you to be next to your SO while still getting your game on (double meaning if you want).

Hell, the other day World Heroes 2 and Celeste both launched. WH2 is an arcade perfect port it seems, and Celeste is killing it with 10/10 scores from many outlets (fans and critics alike). Celeste is a fucking amazing new experience while WH2 takes me back 25 years to the spring of 1993. The Switch appeals to gamers of all generations. Hell, I even bought the 1987 arcade game Double Dragon the other week. I am also getting to experience many Neo Geo games for the first time ever such as Shock Troopers and all the SHMUPS. The Switch is killing it. I still enjoy playing my SNES in my game room, but these days I find myself deferring to the Switch for its more accessible playing formats. My backlog is already 40+ games deep, with titles like Retro City Rampage, Shovel Knight, SteamWorld Dig 2, Stardew Valley and a host of others. The Switch has made gaming more accessible and desirable than ever before for me personally. It might not be your cup of tea, but surely anyone can see why so many are enamored with the Switch. For many of us, it has made gaming "magical" and appealing again.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Also, I'd like to hear from those who still don't have a Switch or those on the fence. What's stopping you from getting one? Do you plan to get one eventually?

I don't like to play current games with a framerate lower than 60 frames per second. Then, all of Miyamoto's star creations, especially Mario, seem like the Meryl Streep/Madonna model, i.e. they undergo all the changes the pop-culture world demands them to -- and I do not. As a consequence, they don't represent me anymore and I can't become emotionally involved in their new adventures.

Guess, I'm too old for this kind of toy, with all it's gimmicks, overrated design ambitions and socio-cultural concepts. I am glad, though, that Big N made it happen and wish them good luck with their further sales.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Let me preface this by saying I have not bought a game system in nearly 12 years. In fact, for the last 12 years I would say 95% of my game playing has been via the SNES. I don't hate "modern" games. I just never cared enough to buy the systems and thus, I missed out on most games released in the past 12-15 years.

And honestly, I never thought I would ever buy another system ever again.

The Nintendo Switch recently changed all of that.

I've had it for two weeks now and have devoted around 15 hours into The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and I am freaking blown away. I've only played it portable thus far and it's the only Switch game I've allowed myself to play so far. But I have also bought six other Switch games in the past two weeks. The Sinister Six being:

1. Doom ($53)
2. Rayman Legends ($25)
3. Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 ($40)
4. Lego City Undercover ($20)
5. Resident Evil Revelations Collection ($30)
6. Axiom Verge ($27)

My first game, Breath of the Wild, was an early Christmas gift given by my brother, and my girlfriend is getting me Super Mario Odyssey for Christmas.

And I haven't even explored the eShop yet, but I know I want to eventually buy titles such as The Mummy Demastered, Golf Story, Stardew Valley, Slain: Back From Hell, the Metal Slug trilogy, all those other Neo Geo classics, Blaster Master Zero, Sonic Mania and the list goes on and on. God damn, not enough time and not enough money. I haven't been this excited about game playing and collecting in a long time. I still love my SNES but the Switch is fast moving into second place for favorite consoles, knocking the Sega Saturn off its perch. With 2018 looking very promising and depending on how the following years go, it's even possible that the Switch may bump the SNES to #2 (when all is said and done).

I love the portability of the thing. It's allowed me to do simple things like playing in bed while the GF reads a book. It's just different from both of you doing the same activities on the couch. It doesn't have the same feel or zest. Kind of hard/weird to explain, but I'm sure you get my drift. I plan to travel more next year and can definitely see where playing this on the plane or back at the hotel at the end of a long exhausting day would be extremely appealing. Honestly, if the Switch were SOLELY a "play it on the TV" kind of console, I might not have been so keen on picking one up. As I get older, life gets busier and busier and I find it harder to plop myself down in front of a TV to play video games for a good length of time. The Switch somehow makes me WANT to play. I can jump right back in with the Sleep Mode and play a Breath of the Wild in bed for 15 minutes before sleeping. It's so convenient and Nintendo has truly outdone themselves this time.

Anyway, I could keep rambling on but Hyrule calls. For anyone who wants to read my way too long Switch story, you can check it out here:

http://rvgfanatic.com/wordpress/index.php/switch/

If anyone has recently "made the switch" (sorry) over to the Switch as well, I'd love to read about your own experience!

Also, I'd like to hear from those who still don't have a Switch or those on the fence. What's stopping you from getting one? Do you plan to get one eventually? Take it from a stubborn "one system man" of nearly 12 years, the Switch is more than cheat-worthy :P
I was afraid you were going to say Labo.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Got to say that Breath of the Wild has got me wanting one. Haven't owned anything Nintendo since the GC.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It's my the best Nintendo console since the N64 and i have owned every nintendo system from then after. Even now less than a year since its release, there already been a good number of games worth owning on the systems. Most of them have been ports, or remakes but the portable factor is a big deal to a lot of people including myself. There are still a bunch a games i plan on picking up after i finish with the excellent mario odyssey like Mario+Rabbids, Doom, Azure Striker, and Axiom Verge. In the future i'm most excited about metroid and pokemon switch.

With my new job requiring me to travel a bunch, the switch portable mode will come in handy when im waiting in airports or staying in at a hotel.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Oh man I just downloaded Strikers 1945 2. Tabletop Tate mode is so sweet...can't wait to try it out on the train tomorrow.

I almost got the 1cc on monkey mode...Electricgrave would be so proud!

Will pick up Strikers 1 eventually as well...but happened to Gunbird, why was that pulled?