Jamma Nation X CMVS Consolized MVS system reviewed!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Nice review! I wasn't aware of the dual frequency oscillator option. It would be nice if there was an itemized price list on the JNX website for various CMVS builds and options. I've owned/used CMVS units from all the major builders and JNX is definitely #1. I would recommend getting a unit built with RCA audio outs as the sound quality is slightly cleaner vs from the mini DIN connector. The optional cart slot dust cover built by lions3 and NeoBiosMasta w/VMC are great upgrades. My only quibble with the case is it's too compact to accommodate a socketed bios that would enable easier UniBios upgrades.

Why would the audio be cleaner from RCA jacks? Are you using scart out of the DIN?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Why would the audio be cleaner from RCA jacks? Are you using scart out of the DIN?

Yes, mini DIN to SCART.

This may vary unit by unit. For example, I have 2 NGCDs. With one, I get audio buzz via SCART but excellent sound via the RCAs. The other has buzz-free sound from both outputs. When you are routing analog video and audio through the same connector, interference can be a factor. Separate AV outs are always preferable. Personally, if I was having a CMVS custom built, I would request 6 separate outputs for RGBS and LR audio.

xterc

n00b
Is the Dual Frequency Oscillator the 'DFO 5V DIL14 Version by micro' found on OSHPARK? Thank you in advance.

looks incredible, although the battery may cause some issue when playing 161 in 1 or other cartridge compilations

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
I admittedly went a bit overboard on my outputs. :P

Got RGB, Component, Composite and S-Video. Why? Because why not? Figured I'd be prepared for any situation.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
is it possible to get RF out...asking for a friend.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
is it possible to get RF out...asking for a friend.

Hmm, UHF only I think. You would need to tune to channel 26 for Neo action. I'll throw in the JNX aluminum flap for the antenna aka the JNX Spatula, doubles the definition, easy.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Wasnt sure where else to post this - apologies for hijacking your thread Yodd

My JNX arrived arrived today and its a fucking beauty. So not to flog a dead horse - everything that Yodd states in his review applies.

Bought a few other bits and pieces, everything is top notch. On top of that, only 5 days from Hawaii to Perth....

Another very happy customer

20180220_160539.jpg
20180220_160545.jpg

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What a fuckin beut of a thing Joala! AOF2 is like being buttfucked by a wombat while baz luhrmann directs.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Very nice. I've had mine maybe 3 years now and it's still going strong. I love the JNX logo on the front there, mine was before they did that.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
What a fuckin beut of a thing Joala! AOF2 is like being buttfucked by a wombat while baz luhrmann directs.

:lolz:

Very nice. I've had mine maybe 3 years now and it's still going strong. I love the JNX logo on the front there, mine was before they did that.

James is fucking top bloke to deal with too. So glad I didnt role the dice with the other CMVS

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Wasnt sure where else to post this - apologies for hijacking your thread Yodd

My JNX arrived arrived today and its a fucking beauty. So not to flog a dead horse - everything that Yodd states in his review applies.

Bought a few other bits and pieces, everything is top notch. On top of that, only 5 days from Hawaii to Perth....

Another very happy customer

20180220_160539.jpg
20180220_160545.jpg

Looks Awesome. Can't go wrong with JNX.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Dang. Makes me wish I'd gone with the lights on my JNX, but still very happy with mine!

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
James makes the best CMVS. I've tried various machines over the years and I've also owned an Omega, the difference was like night and day. Maybe folks who run their CMVS on pro monitors won't run see as much difference but on consumer crt's the Omega's picture was plagued with problems (on all models of crt's I had). The JNX outputs flawlessly in every situation. James assembles and tests these with the greatest care and you can easily tell just by looking at them. I couldn't be happier with it. I'd never recommend any other CMVS to anyone other than a JNX CMVS.

Last edited:

xterc

n00b
This thread inspired me to install a DFO in my MVS-2F. Thank you to Xian Xi and Todd for bringing it to my attention. Building and programming the DFO was an adventure into itself.

MVS-2F DFO.jpg

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Someone needs to send Yodd the Ali special cmvs to review :keke:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You could get macro shots of the soldering!