So I am now a business owner... but

Retrogamer

Troller of Old Men,
20 Year Member
As many of you know I have been the manager of a used CD/DVD/video game store for over 20 years. I have been very blessed to have the two most generous bosses anyone could ask for. So generous in fact that they have recently decided to retire and give me the business.

They were thinking of retiring for the past three years or so, and the decision came full circle when the new landlords of the current plaza that we inhabit presented us with a new lease contract that was just way too much in the form of monthly rent. With no desire to sign any further lease contracts my two bosses gave me two options. Option number one was to close the business, and give me all of the inventory as severance pay as thanks for all of my years working there. Option number two was to do all of the paperwork it would take to have the business transferred into my name, and be in charge of finding a new location that the business would be able to thrivie in. I chose the latter as I love my job and my customers, and most of them would be dismayed to see us go .

So I succeeded in finding a wonderful new location, that is actually a bigger space for about half of the rent we are currently paying. Mind you when my old bosses dissolved their shares I only had so much capital to work with. We all knew that where ever we went I would have to pay two months rent in advance as this is a normal contractual obligation. So I had to put down nearly 10k to get my feet in the door, with that done I knew I would have to focus lots of money on moving. It wouldn't seem to be a problem because when we moved into our current location 23 years ago we had paid first and last months rent so the current rent would be free, or so we thought... apparently at the end of our first lease agreement the security deposit that they had was credited towards our CAM and we didn't even realize it. So I had to cough up about $7500 immediately, and this leaves me with very little left to move with. The biggest expense we are looking at is the new over sign for the new building as well as getting a new certificate of occupancy etc. etc. after doing all of the math, I am going to be about 3k short, talk about a rough start. Only a week as a business owner and I all ready have all the stress that comes with it!

So come to share my grief in witness of old friends.
I have set up a go fund me account to try to relieve some of the burden, it is up to about 500 including some PayPal donations from personal friends. If anyone is willing to contribute a few bucks any little bit helps.
Thanks for your consideration <3
Your old pal George
https://www.gofundme.com/cd-trader-is-moving

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
As many of you know I have been the manager of a used CD/DVD/video game store for over 20 years. I have been very blessed to have the two most generous bosses anyone could ask for. So generous in fact that they have recently decided to retire and give me the business.

They were thinking of retiring for the past three years or so, and the decision came full circle when the new landlords of the current plaza that we inhabit presented us with a new lease contract that was just way too much in the form of monthly rent. With no desire to sign any further lease contracts my two bosses gave me two options. Option number one was to close the business, and give me all of the inventory as severance pay as thanks for all of my years working there. Option number two was to do all of the paperwork it would take to have the business transferred into my name, and be in charge of finding a new location that the business would be able to thrivie in. I chose the latter as I love my job and my customers, and most of them would be dismayed to see us go .

So I succeeded in finding a wonderful new location, that is actually a bigger space for about half of the rent we are currently paying. Mind you when my old bosses dissolved their shares I only had so much capital to work with. We all knew that where ever we went I would have to pay two months rent in advance as this is a normal contractual obligation. So I had to put down nearly 10k to get my feet in the door, with that done I knew I would have to focus lots of money on moving. It wouldn't seem to be a problem because when we moved into our current location 23 years ago we had paid first and last months rent so the current rent would be free, or so we thought... apparently at the end of our first lease agreement the security deposit that they had was credited towards our CAM and we didn't even realize it. So I had to cough up about $7500 immediately, and this leaves me with very little left to move with. The biggest expense we are looking at is the new over sign for the new building as well as getting a new certificate of occupancy etc. etc. after doing all of the math, I am going to be about 3k short, talk about a rough start. Only a week as a business owner and I all ready have all the stress that comes with it!

So come to share my grief in witness of old friends.
I have set up a go fund me account to try to relieve some of the burden, it is up to about 500 including some PayPal donations from personal friends. If anyone is willing to contribute a few bucks any little bit helps.
Thanks for your consideration <3
Your old pal George
https://www.gofundme.com/cd-trader-is-moving

I had to move the windy warehouse location last year. It sucked. Best of luck in the new venture (and the gfm)!!