Curious differences in first run 6-slot Big Red MVS side art.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Something that's mystified me for a while, and haven't gotten any real information on, is there appears to be different side art of the first release of ver. 3 4-Slot and 6-slot MVS cabinets. I own a 6-slot that had that style of artwork, so I'm led to believe it was one of these that first came out in 1990.

In flyers that first advertise them, the SNK logo on the sides are noticablly smaller, and on the 6-slot, the coin box lettering is also smaller, in addition to saying 1-Player/2-Player instead of Left Player, Right Player.

Does anyone else own a cabinet that features original cabinet artwork like this? If so, can you confirm that it was manufactured in 1990? Anyone have any further info on this variation?

See attached pic for my cabinet, which features part of the vinyl still intact with the smaller logo.

14022801.jpg

14235201.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151003_171751.jpg
    IMG_20151003_171751.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I will be headed down a similar path as I have 2 4-Slot Big Reds to restore. Seems all the stickers and side art out there are not 100% accurate. I had a discussion with Mattroid about this over at KLOV. Here is his thread on the subject. When I get to this, I know I will have to do this on my own. So here is the thought that I have to solve this.

Firstly, you have the original right there. Scan it to digitize, jot down its dimensions, and measure its position. Secondly, you have two options 1) Paint that sucker. Do it right with HVLP. More work than a vinyl but getting someone to reproduce this correctly is going to be hard. Plus paint is going to last longer and is easier to repair. Or, 2) If you can't find the side art with the logos printed on, just vinyl wrap it in plain red.

Now here is the key for the logos. A sticker logo over paint isn't going to work. It will probably peel of in a year. Need to stencil the logos back on with paint. As fate would have it, the Silhouette Curio is being heavily discounted at Michaels and can be used to create the stencil. On top of that, you can use the Curio for other things. Your wife will love it for crafts, etc. Just be sure before you stencil it, make sure you seal the stencil lines with some sort of clear polyeurathane to have nice lines after you pull off the stencil. After you seal it, shaker can that stencil in with white paint. Boom, you're done.

EDIT: Oops, meant to respond to your post on KLOV. But yeah, that is how I would do it.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Unfortunately, I'm a big dumb dumb and removed the remaining vinyl about a year ago in hopes of getting it restored then, not knowing anything about that particular art being rare and original. I had noticed that the SNK logo was smaller at the time, but when I asked some folks and they told me it was a fake repro decal. Thanks internet.

Anyways, I had to put it on the back burner since I had injured my neck, and restoring a cabinet wasn't on the list of things I should be doing. Now that I'm well enough to do it, I'm eager to get this done. In doing that, I'll need to rely on someone else who's lucky enough to also have an original release MVS ver 3. 4 or 6 to provide me with the measurements. Outlook isn't looking so good though, so I may just have to stick with repro art that has the larger, standard logo and measurements.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
Nah, someone here will have the OG art. If anything, I plan on wand scanning my 4-slot Big Red and you can use that. Mattroid says he has the files as well, though not likely from a 6-slot Big Red. He said he'd give them to me but I still have to follow-up with him on that. You might want to update your post title to indicate that you are referring to the 6-slot Big Red so it isn't glossed over.

Since my last post, it seems that better than using a vinyl cutter, it might be best to silkscreen the side art on. Cheaper too. When I cross that bridge, I'll post about it.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Does your 4-slot Big Red have the smaller logo as well? If so, I would presume that the measurements would be same as the 6-slot, as I believe the size of the side panels is identical.

Good idea to edit the title, though as seen in the picture above, both the ver 3. 4-slot and 6-slot originally had that different artwork.

acblunden2

Rugal's Thug
I'll check it this weekend and let you know. Take some measurements while I am at it.

In any case, silkscreening doesn't look too tough to do at all. You can make your own silkscreening frames, then with a cheap silkscreening kit, can easily make the template. Check this video out for the idea on how this is done. Given this, you'll just need wand scans of the OG logos which I am sure will turn up at some point. So this should be pretty cheap to do. Paint or vinyl wrap it in red to get it ready for silk screening. If someone sold this to you as a ready printed side art, would probably cost a small fortune.