PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'm wondering about the one that works vs accidently damaging the expensive one.

Any chance of seeing the cheaper ones innards. ;)

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Could you remove a bit the plastic that is covering the capacitors ? i would like to know if those are missing the resistors (it looks like on those pictures, but i am not sure ...)

Thanks for the pictures !

I should be getting one in the mail later today. I can try to take mine apart, won't bother me any if I have to muck mine up a bit. I believe I also have a normal composite sync cable as well, but I'll have to see if it's sitting around in my 32x box/Genesis model 2 box.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I wonder if the people only having a issue with the more expensive Csync cables are people that are using a upscaler like ossc and HD Monitor. Does the issue occur when playing on a crt?

I ordered the cheap Amazon cables anyways, just wanted to know.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
As soon as I get my SSD3, I will test with my retro-access Gen2 cable. CSync has higher compatibility with devices than composite video as sync. Extron Crosspoint, framemeister, and sometimes OSSC have issues with CV as sync.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
I wonder if the people only having a issue with the more expensive Csync cables are people that are using a upscaler like ossc and HD Monitor. Does the issue occur when playing on a crt?

I ordered the cheap Amazon cables anyways, just wanted to know.

I am using a framemeister with mine. Before the SSD3 I was using one of these with my PCE http://www.stoneagegamer.com/engine-block-av-turbobooster.html and the Retro Access cable worked well with it. I have no idea if it works on a CRT.

I will open the cheap cable

Milspex

n00b
I have two of those Retrogamingcables Packapunch MD2 cables. I will test them as soon as my SSD3 arrives.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
I have two of those Retrogamingcables Packapunch MD2 cables. I will test them as soon as my SSD3 arrives.

Based on testing over on the shmups forums csync cables from RGC aren't working either.

Milspex

n00b
Seeing as those Packapunch cables are properly built MD2 cables and seeing the Super SD System 3 advertised as being able to output csync , this would be very dissappointing. Not to jump the gun, I will do a test when I have the unit in hand.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Seeing as those Packapunch cables are properly built MD2 cables and seeing the Super SD System 3 advertised as being able to output csync , this would be very dissappointing. Not to jump the gun, I will do a test when I have the unit in hand.

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61381&start=210

neodev made a post in the thread that it seems CSYNC may not be behaving like it was in their internal testing and they are looking into a work around.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I find it interesting how people hate on the retro-access cables. Her cables are made to the same specs as the rgc cables.

Just a note about the cheap cable shown above, that is outputting TTL csync if it's actually hooked up to the csync pin on the genesis side. I have seen many cheap cables hook the sync line to the composite video and advertise that they are using the sync pin.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
It's not hating on them, they're perfect for the Gen/MD. We need one perfect for the SSDS3 and they may not be.

More testing by the masses is needed. Most likely people's setups will decide what is needed.

I use an OSSC and xrgb 3 so I'll be trying scart and jp 21.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's not hating on them, they're perfect for the Gen/MD. We need one perfect for the SSDS3 and they may not be.

More testing by the masses is needed. Most likely people's setups will decide what is needed.

I use an OSSC and xrgb 3 so I'll be trying scart and jp 21.

This. A bunch of people here told me to order cables from her because they are quality. I honestly don't care if I have to buy another cable just as long as it works.

RetroRGB is a Darksoft supporter...

He also has a beef with Neosd... it will be upto Neosd if he wishes to expand... but my advice is...

If a youtube reviewer wants free device to "review" a product... and when the vendor says NO... I'd suggest that he may NOT... be the most reliable source on the internet...

xROTx
I don't understand where any of this is coming from, although Alex has said he feels this way too. I've done nothing but praise and defend the NeoSD. I talk about EVERYTHING that I find interesting...and sometimes those products are from Darksoft. I've also never EVER asked for ANYTHING for free. I've purchased every single device I've reviewed, including the NeoSD.

Look Rot, I know this is your playground and people here will just take your word as gospel, but even if you hate my guts, maybe respect the fact that all I've ever given a shit about is the tech side of things? I really don't care who makes what, I just want awesome products that work.

Actually, since I'm here, I gotta ask Rot: Why exactly are you like this? I'd love to get you on for an interview and talk about all the great stuff that's come out of this site...but also about all the drama and hatred you intentionally surround yourself with. Wanna do a Skype interview and talk it out? I'll even give you full control over what happens to the recording and I won't post it if you decide you don't like how it went.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I don't understand where any of this is coming from, although Alex has said he feels this way too. I've done nothing but praise and defend the NeoSD. I talk about EVERYTHING that I find interesting...and sometimes those products are from Darksoft. I've also never EVER asked for ANYTHING for free. I've purchased every single device I've reviewed, including the NeoSD.

Look Rot, I know this is your playground and people here will just take your word as gospel, but even if you hate my guts, maybe respect the fact that all I've ever given a shit about is the tech side of things? I really don't care who makes what, I just want awesome products that work.

Actually, since I'm here, I gotta ask Rot: Why exactly are you like this? I'd love to get you on for an interview and talk about all the great stuff that's come out of this site...but also about all the drama and hatred you intentionally surround yourself with. Wanna do a Skype interview and talk it out? I'll even give you full control over what happens to the recording and I won't post it if you decide you don't like how it went.

Ohh boy

No no no...there's no "get the popcorn", no "Bob vs Rot rivalry", no "oh boy"...I'm talking as one adult to another. No "tone" in my voice. No fight starting. Rot, the invitation is open and I'd like a calm conversation about things. In fact, I think a lot of people would really love to hear from you.

Back on topic - If anyone's in the NYC area, you're welcome to bring the SSDS3 over and I'll check it out with a scope, as well as all the different cables and cable types I have. Alex might have a problem with me, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a huge fan of his work and am happy to help figure this out so all of us can benefit from a great product.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

AT LAST.... System11 is a nice bloke (respect where it's due)... so i didn't push it on Schmups...

YOU on the other hand are a different matter...

I DON'T like freeloaders...
I DON'T like people who ask for a FREE gift.. in return for a review that is quite frankly piss poor... techinally uniformed video..

Why do you think the initial SD 3 reviews are with someone who paid and will actually spend a week road testing and then informing people...

As for accusation that NG.com is my world... I'd like to point out that my rep extends beyond it's borders... I just choose to focus my time here...

Can you say the same of yourself? Your rep here is non-existent... same on Sega16, pcefx... etc etc...

I aint here to play with you... I'll tell you how it is...

PS. As for Darksoft... you can go suck him off later... Why don't you review his impending NG SD release.... THEN we'll decide how far he's up your arse...

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
PS. As for Darksoft... you can go suck him off later... Why don't you review his impending NG SD release.... THEN we'll decide how far he's up your arse...

Well, he'd have to put something out first..... :D

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
So Bob, NeoSD said you asked for a free unit. Maybe you should start there instead of going all in on Rot. He is just going off of what was said to him.

So, did you ask NeoSD for a free unit to review?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
So Bob, NeoSD said you asked for a free unit. Maybe you should start there instead of going all in on Rot. He is just going off of what was told.to him.

So, did you ask NeoSD for a free unit to review?

Yes... Neosd has the correspondance...

He told me and i got angry...

xROTx

PS. When Neosd was just starting out... he gave away free units of the NG release to drum up exposure... RetroRGB got one...

When the SD 3 was announced... Bowl in hand... is the term i would use...

I DON'T like people who ask for a FREE gift.. in return for a review that is quite frankly piss poor... techinally uniformed video..

Honestly, I've never asked for a free unit from ANYONE. Are you just trying to fuck with me, or did someone really tell you that I've been asking for free shit?

Everything else you posted is your opinion and you're obviously entitled to that...but seriously, I've never asked for anything for free.

Your rep here is non-existent...
Right, because I avoid this place, because of posts like this.

I treat people online the same way I do in person. I've met many of you "forum tough guys" before at Exop's, events, etc. and almost every single one has been really polite and respectful in person. I don't understand why you think it's okay to talk like this. Would you talk like that in an interview? I'd love to find out...

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Just a note about the cheap cable shown above, that is outputting TTL csync if it's actually hooked up to the csync pin on the genesis side. I have seen many cheap cables hook the sync line to the composite video and advertise that they are using the sync pin.

I just wanted to see if they had anything added being cheap cables. That was going back to an earlier thought mentioned in the past.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Honestly, I've never asked for a free unit from ANYONE. Are you just trying to fuck with me, or did someone really tell you that I've been asking for free shit?

Everything else you posted is your opinion and you're obviously entitled to that...but seriously, I've never asked for anything for free.

Right, because I avoid this place, because of posts like this.

I treat people online the same way I do in person. I've met many of you "forum tough guys" before at Exop's, events, etc. and almost every single one has been really polite and respectful in person. I don't understand why you think it's okay to talk like this. Would you talk like that in an interview? I'd love to find out...

I like your spunk... but I never swallow...

OH... BTW... respect is EARNED in the scene mofo... not handed out on a plate... (best say that now...)

I don't need a Johnny come lately to tell me where to shit in the woods...

Now... about the freeloading thing...