PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I can tell you from first hand experience this is not true.

The Retrobit Genesis 2 AV cable is complete shit. Audio only comes out of one channel with it. The other channel doesn’t work at all. I thought I had a bad cable but I spoke to someone else recently who bought two of them and experienced the same thing.

Avoid.

That's lame, but good to know. So pretty much just stick to buying an old set of first-party cables off of eBay, then?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
That's lame, but good to know. So pretty much just stick to buying an old set of first-party cables off of eBay, then?

yeah. But those original Sega cables are stupid spendy now.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

I wonder if that is actually the Retrobit cable?

Cause I just buzzed out the pins on the Retrobit cable and I found the problem.

These dumb asses wired these cables completely wrong.

Left audio is wired to the right audio pin in the din connector and Right audio is tied to the mono audio pin (pin 6). And since the SSDS3 doesn't use the mono audio pin, you don't get any audio from the red/right channel audio of the Retrobit cable.

Lame AF.

edit: And BTW, if you use an original OEM Sega Stereo AV cable, stereo audio works fine as verified by another user who was asking me about these retrobit cables not working.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
It's actually really common for the audio to be wired incorrectly. This was just recently determined to have been the case with Saturn cables. For years the pinout was actually documented incorrectly.

These cables do use the mono pin so I guess they would be an issue if mono isn't hooked up on the device.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
Argh....****....all the av cables I seem to be finding for sale on ebay are more aftermarket garbage. Is there some magical search incantation that I'm missing? I searched "original sega genesis model 2 av cable". Would a genesis 2 RF cable work? is there anything specific regarding the exterior design of the cable that I should be looking out for when discerning whether it's OEM or 3rd party?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Try some of the Sega forums?

Make a WTB here and be specific. Asking for pics to be reasonably sure you buy the right set. I may have one in one of my av cable piles.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
could you link me with a cable that is guaranteed to work? even a PM would be so appreciated on this. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. I have my first trial on Monday and I probably would have spent the whole weekend playing it instead of working on my argument/examinations.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
just so that everyone knows.......Hdretrovision cables do not work for the SD3.....I'm at a point now where I really don't know what to do with this thing. The hdretrovision cable made the colours have a weird old school apple computer tint, and the major sound issue is still present. I made a quick video of the symptoms and any help/input would be greatly appreciated. my only other option is hdmi or s-video. I don't have scart as I live in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TfyoZsDqmc&feature=youtu.be

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Check the pins on your cable to make sure one isn't bent. I've had that happen before. The cable works fine on mine.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I use hdretrovision cables with the SSS3 on my 27" Toshiba crt with no problems.

420neogeo

Marked Wolf
Today I decided to pop over to a local game store to see if their turbografx 16 console would have the same issue that mine does with the sd3. I read everyone’s posts about my pins being bent and when I checked this morning, you were right; one of my pins (on the turbografx) was bent and after carefully bending it back into place, my colour tint issue was fixed. After testing my sd3 on an alternate turbografx I can confirm that the sd3 still presents the same sound issue as before. It’s as though I can only get sound out of one channel. I recorded a second video of it happening on the store’s turbografx system which can be found below. I also want to mention that we checked the pins at the back to make sure that none were bent before and after shooting this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v45Hg-j8XI8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

mistahsnart

New Challenger
I've used HD Retrovision cables with various CRTs and HDTVs. Aside from the *slight* video noise issue (which goes away with RGB SCART cables), I've had no audio problems like what you're showing here. I've played about 20 CD games on it at this point.

Have you tried a different image of Rondo or any other games?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Finally got around to getting a 256 GB SD card and was playing with the SD3 yesterday.

The card games worked great but, found out that audio from CD games doesn't get reintegrated back into the system. After looking through my giant pile of AV cables, I determined I only had one Genesis model 2 AV cable. Keep in mind, it's not an official cable. While I was able to get a fairly nice looking composite video signal out of the cable, no audio would play...either with CD or, Hucard games.

At the moment, I'm assuming I need a better cable. I did test out my CDX and a Nomad and audio was coming out of those (on the same cable). I'm hoping I didn't fry the audio on the SD3.

The systems I tried it out on was a s-video modded Supergrafx and a PCE LT. Any help would be great but, I'm guessing I already answered my own question in the last paragraph.

Jon

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Finally got around to getting a 256 GB SD card and was playing with the SD3 yesterday.

The card games worked great but, found out that audio from CD games doesn't get reintegrated back into the system. After looking through my giant pile of AV cables, I determined I only had one Genesis model 2 AV cable. Keep in mind, it's not an official cable. While I was able to get a fairly nice looking composite video signal out of the cable, no audio would play...either with CD or, Hucard games.

At the moment, I'm assuming I need a better cable. I did test out my CDX and a Nomad and audio was coming out of those (on the same cable). I'm hoping I didn't fry the audio on the SD3.

The systems I tried it out on was a s-video modded Supergrafx and a PCE LT. Any help would be great but, I'm guessing I already answered my own question in the last paragraph.

Jon

Your av cable is using the mono audio channel, which is not connected on the SSDS3. The CD audio is generated in the SSDS3 and since the device has it's own AV connector there wasn't really much value in routing that audio into the system. Plus the standard PC Engine doesn't support it.

Also for faster response, you might want to post to the TerraOnion support forums instead of here.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah you need a stereo cable that pulls from the proper pins, which in 2019 harder to find than you'd think. Some of the generics will work, but they aren't wired correctly so they might pull from left and mono instead of left and right, which you might not notice too much on an actual genesis but on the SSD3 means you only get sound from one speaker. If you search the TO forums I'm sure someone has found a cable that works fine. I went through a couple before I found one that was wired correctly but I don't remember exactly what brand it was now, I may have posted it over there.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I have a white PCE and got the FBX audio and Voultar RGB board both installed and I still get a little bit of jailbar-like banding. Anyone else get these mods and can comment on their picture? It's honestly not much better than stock for me. I have a V2 board.

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I have a white PCE and got the FBX audio and Voultar RGB board both installed and I still get a little bit of jailbar-like banding. Anyone else get these mods and can comment on their picture? It's honestly not much better than stock for me. I have a V2 board.

Did you jailbar fix the console?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Jailbars come from inside the console itself and needs some caps added to help it. That doesn't have anything to do with the SSD3. If that same system had an internal RGB mod without the jailbar fix it would probably look the same. The Voultar RGB board cleaned up the additional noise the SSD3 produced I believe.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Jailbars come from inside the console itself and needs some caps added to help it. That doesn't have anything to do with the SSD3. If that same system had an internal RGB mod without the jailbar fix it would probably look the same. The Voultar RGB board cleaned up the additional noise the SSD3 produced I believe.

Yeah, I was afraid of that - it's not jailbars proper, they're angled and just some slight bands of noise. I thought Voultar's fix would remedy but no dice.

Hey guys so I'm a little newer to the neo geo scene. I have a few questions and a little bit of a paradox of a problem here.

So I recently purchased a neo geo AES. Ppow 2 low serial... I understand I need a new power supply to run an AES with neosd. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be any neosds that aren't pro versions.

And there is no power supply that I can seem to find that's compatible with both my system and the neosd pro...

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Hey guys so I'm a little newer to the neo geo scene. I have a few questions and a little bit of a paradox of a problem here.

So I recently purchased a neo geo AES. Ppow 2 low serial... I understand I need a new power supply to run an AES with neosd. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be any neosds that aren't pro versions.

And there is no power supply that I can seem to find that's compatible with both my system and the neosd pro...

wrong thread bro

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

No need for a stronger power supply. The original one 5v should work but retro game cave is making a ps with more amps.