Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Kyokugen Trainee
    You have to break an egg, if you are to know what is inside.

PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

For all your RGB cable, and future Super System3 needs.

Within reason. Ex: No asking for ISO or Rom files.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Didn't we already go over this. A Standard Genny 2 Cable will work.

Kyokugen Trainee

I posted it so people quit talking about it in the announcement thread.

Crazed MVS Addict

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    Didn't we already go over this. A Standard Genny 2 Cable will work.
    Depends.

Assuming you want RGB then you also want to ensure that the cable wired for Composite Sync.
    CSync should also be correctly attenuated with a cap/resistor.

Cheap cables can use composite video as sync which you don't want.

Personally I would recommend Retro Gaming Cables.
    On eBay, retro_console_accessories has been recommended many times.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Ohh boy, I best stay out of this thread.

Kyokugen Trainee

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    Ohh boy, I best stay out of this thread.
    Basically, we're fucked lol.

Rugal's Panther

Quote Originally Posted by nam9 View Post
    Depends.

Assuming you want RGB then you also want to ensure that the cable wired for Composite Sync.

Bingo.

If you want composite your run of the mill Genesis red, yellow, white cable will work.

If you want Component then the HDRetrovision cables have you covered. http://www.hdretrovision.com/ (out of stock right now, but worth the wait for a next batch).

If you want HDMI, then use one of the RGB solutions above and then hook it into an OSSC:

https://www.videogameperfection.com/...rce-converter/

If you want to use S-Video..there is something wrong with you (I'm not sure there is a solution here).

Another Striker

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo View Post
    If you want to use S-Video..there is something wrong with you (I'm not sure there is a solution here).
    An RGB->Svideo converter :P
    There is no knowledge that is not power

I was wondering if save state support was planning to be added at some point? It looks like based on the video's the database function hasn't been built out yet. It would be helpful is you could assign hucards to specific folder, like US only release to a US supercard. Or perhaps auto-select system card in most cases you would want the arcade card, but have US titles auto select Super System 3. I would be fine manually doing this though and manual selection might be better for those game express titles. Perhaps save state could be set to just dump the ram state saving the convenience of long password save recording and entry, this would obviously be yet another plus over the everdrive. I already have a coregrafx, supergrafx, two super cd-rom 2s, arcade card and turbo everdrive. The Super CD-ROM2 is a pain to recap, after you finally get it apart it's a mine field and it's almost like the traces want to come off. For me it makes the DUO and GT feel like cakewalks. I'm getting one of these to reduce the wear and tear on the system, plus bonus convenience. It might be neat if there is a switch, I like having the reset button on my everdrive. The simultaneous press of run and select seems like it'll work just fine though, I can't think of a game that mapping will become an issue. Maybe the reset button just resets the in memory game? With the Super CDROM2 audio also gets passed back to the console, is there a reason the SS3 doesn't? I use the audio output of my coregrafx as SCD2 port is excessively depressed but out of the console it sounds fine.

Quote Originally Posted by haightc View Post
    I was wondering if save state support was planning to be added at some point?

Use an emulator if you want save states.
    Last edited by Kid Panda; 12-14-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by haightc View Post
    I was wondering if save state support was planning to be added at some point? It looks like based on the video's the database function hasn't been built out yet. It would be helpful is you could assign hucards to specific folder, like US only release to a US supercard. Or perhaps auto-select system card in most cases you would want the arcade card, but have US titles auto select Super System 3. I would be fine manually doing this though and manual selection might be better for those game express titles. Perhaps save state could be set to just dump the ram state saving the convenience of long password save recording and entry, this would obviously be yet another plus over the everdrive. I already have a coregrafx, supergrafx, two super cd-rom 2s, arcade card and turbo everdrive. The Super CD-ROM2 is a pain to recap, after you finally get it apart it's a mine field and it's almost like the traces want to come off. For me it makes the DUO and GT feel like cakewalks. I'm getting one of these to reduce the wear and tear on the system, plus bonus convenience. It might be neat if there is a switch, I like having the reset button on my everdrive. The simultaneous press of run and select seems like it'll work just fine though, I can't think of a game that mapping will become an issue. Maybe the reset button just resets the in memory game? With the Super CDROM2 audio also gets passed back to the console, is there a reason the SS3 doesn't? I use the audio output of my coregrafx as SCD2 port is excessively depressed but out of the console it sounds fine.
    You're lucky that greedostick has created this thread .....

I have earned the
    right to PM Rot.

If you want to save a few bucks over ebay, they have their own webpage now for selling cables:

https://retro-access.com

New Challenger

Depends.

So, I'd be able to use this with my SCART to HDMI box like my other systems and be good to go?

How can the dude have any clue about the brightness that the SD3 has without knowing what kind of RGB amp they use? If they don't have the product in their hands testing it they need to shut the fuck up.

I've modded a ton of PCEs. So has Yodd. We'll let you know how it looks when we get ours.

Kyokugen Trainee

We're still talking about this RGB cable nonsense!?

The product hasn't even shipped yet. Out of all the RGB cable makers, I'm positive at least one has ordered a Super System 3. I'm sure those distributors are reading over these Super System 3 threads right now salivating at the thought a new RGB cable may need to be developed so they can push more product.

A solution will present its self shortly after there is a need for the cable. Just give it a few months and then speculate about this. Contact them or something and tell them about the Super System 3 if you all are that worried, but I'm sure a solution will materialize early 2018 if the Super System 3 ships as planned.

Rugal's Panther

There is a very technical thread going on over on the shmups forum, that Neodev is participating in, where they are talking about this "issue". Tim Worthington has a solution that he has presented:

"Neodev,

I recommend you have your contract manufacturer replace each 75 ohm series resistor on your amplifier with a 22 ohm resistor, if possible. This will solve both your problems (cable compatibility and amplifier attenuation) at once. It does increase the total output impedance to 96 ohms (75 in cable + 22 on board), but that shouldn't have an adverse effect on the video quality."

Tim knows his stuff, so maybe our RGB nightmare is at at end if Terra Onion can implement it. I guess this would mean taking out the 0 ohm resistors on the SSDS3 and putting in 22 ohm resistors on the board side and leave the MD2 standard cables as-is.
    Last edited by RevQuixo; 12-24-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo View Post
    There is a very technical thread going on over on the shmups forum, that Neodev is participating in, where they are talking about this "issue". Tim Worthington has a solution that he has presented:

"Neodev,

I recommend you have your contract manufacturer replace each 75 ohm series resistor on your amplifier with a 22 ohm resistor, if possible. This will solve both your problems (cable compatibility and amplifier attenuation) at once. It does increase the total output impedance to 96 ohms (75 in cable + 22 on board), but that shouldn't have an adverse effect on the video quality."

Tim knows his stuff, so maybe our RGB nightmare is at at end if Terra Onion can implement it. I guess this would mean taking out the 0 ohm resistors on the SSDS3 and putting in 22 ohm resistors on the board side and leave the MD2 standard cables as-is.
    Yes, that was one of the solutions I proposed (with 21ohm instead, but 22 seems better, and is also a standard value), that means, we will bridge the capacitors, and then replace the 75 ohm with 22, so it works with a standard MD2 cable, and also attenuates the output to normal video levels. We still need to make more tests, as adding that resistor causes impedance mismatch.
    NEOSD - The ONLY Neo Geo MVS & AES Flash Cart - TEAM Member

Rugal's Panther

Quote Originally Posted by neodev View Post
    Yes, that was one of the solutions I proposed (with 21ohm instead, but 22 seems better, and is also a standard value), that means, we will bridge the capacitors, and then replace the 75 ohm with 22, so it works with a standard MD2 cable, and also attenuates the output to normal video levels. We still need to make more tests, as adding that resistor causes impedance mismatch.
    Sounds good. Thanks for being so awesome dealing with us having continued dialogue on the project. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Give an Azn
    A Break Here!

If this helps here is whatís inside of this cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSK2LHM..._PNPyAbK3408TE

And here is whatís inside of this cable
    https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/...-cable-tv-lead

I got my order to go through on the third day of sales so I donít have it yet but when itís here Iíll test on a XRGB mini to Plasma TV and a ikegami RGB CRT. The ikegami only worked with my other RGB consoles when I used csync cables directly or when I ran it through a BNC cable with a built in sync stripper from Wookieewin.
    If either of these should not be used for a technical reason let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcb View Post
    If this helps here is whatís inside of this cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JSK2LHM..._PNPyAbK3408TE

And here is whatís inside of this cable.
    I received this same cable today and there is still noise issues.

Crazed MVS Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Yodd View Post
    I received this same cable today and there is still noise issues.
    Visual noise or audio bleed noise?

Quote Originally Posted by SavagePencil View Post
    Visual noise or audio bleed noise?
    Take your pick. Both.

Also, I just built a well shielded and grounded heavy duty cable using composite video as sync.

Still have video noise issues.

Bashful Neophyte

Thats what needed to be said. As a first rev buyer I will just take rgb from the console. Not an issue.

Mr. Big's Thug

Definitely a much cleaner looking cable, but I know there is a hefty price difference too.

Personally, if they wanted to delay orders to fix the issue, I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

Either way, whatever issues there are, hopefully they will be remedied in time. No regrets on ordering one, though.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.

How's the video quality from an RGB modded PCE via the console output?
    Neo Geo AES #011035 #036442 | Neo Geo CD #0002814 #0015959 | MVS Executive | Razion 1cc Club President | NG.com Top Trader
    ATTN NOOBS: Jamma Nation X makes the best CMVS & Superguns, PERIOD! | Unofficial MVS and AES Price Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by SNKSOUL View Post
    I ask a complete account removal extraction

I ask the deletion authorized by Neo Geo Admin Judge Dredd.

Thanks a lot.

Thread Information