PC Engine Super System3 RGB Tech Support.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object
Definitely a much cleaner looking cable, but I know there is a hefty price difference too.

Personally, if they wanted to delay orders to fix the issue, I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

Either way, whatever issues there are, hopefully they will be remedied in time. No regrets on ordering one, though.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
How's the video quality from an RGB modded PCE via the console output?

SavagePencil

Crazed MVS Addict
Which model of PCE are you using, specifically?

Dumb question: did you clean the expansion port before plugging in the SSD3?

neozeed64

n00b
thirdkind has sadly been indisposed.... for the forseeable future...

NEVER say i didn't give him a chance... but as SOON as you enter chat and start breaking my balls... you might as well consider your long term prospects around here...

xROTx
Wondered why I saw a banned label next to him as I caught up on this thread. Without chat logs, I will never know since I don't idle in there.Doesn't matter, in the time I have spent here, over this product. I have to say.. Rots rules are appropriate, even thou I thought they were extreme when I first started reading the related threads.One of the reasons I shyed away from forums was people who entered a thread and asked ther same stupid shit thats been asked 100 times before, wasting everyones time. No ass kissin here ( I don't think) but I'll say it again... I can't wait to get mine:drool:

neozeed64

n00b
Thats what needed to be said. As a first rev buyer I will just take rgb from the console. Not an issue.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Wondered why I saw a banned label next to him as I caught up on this thread. Without chat logs, I will never know since I don't idle in there.Doesn't matter, in the time I have spent here, over this product. I have to say.. Rots rules are appropriate, even thou I thought they were extreme when I first started reading the related threads.One of the reasons I shyed away from forums was people who entered a thread and asked ther same stupid shit thats been asked 100 times before, wasting everyones time. No ass kissin here ( I don't think) but I'll say it again... I can't wait to get mine:drool:

And what the fuck does this have to do at all with the topic?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Your right. I'll help when I get mine if its still not resolved. Too much kentucky bourbon and doin nothin onn a saturday night

That's exactly why we have the warroom. ;)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Further analysis:

Tested composite video (non RGB) with stereo audio:

Audio seems similar with the buzzing. Much of the buzzing seems to coincide with access to the SD card. During SD card access I hear an increase in background audio noise.

Composite video sadly seems to have the same kind of interference in that I am seeing in RGB mode. Obviously whatever is affecting RGB output is also affecting regular composite video.

I plugged my RGB modded white PCE into the SSDS3 for some more testing.

Comparing it's internal RGB amp to the SSDS3 shows quite a big difference. The internal amp had none of the wavy noise nor the diagonal interference.

Here is a quick video capture of the RGB output between the SSDS3 and an internal RGB amp.

My thoughts: The RGB amp has good sharpness and color rendition. It's however let down by substantial noise in the video.

Last edited:

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
Going full screen with the video you can clearly see the diagonal video noise. It's even on the menu.

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks Todd for your video , now i understand , the audio-video circuit is maybe parasitized by some other components in the system 3.

Well I would say: if neosd can solve it without too many difficulties : it's great , if he can't , it doesn't matter to me and it doesn't take anything away from the magic of the system 3 :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It was also brought up over at Shmups about different power supplies.

So I have tested both my stock Core Grafx and RGB modded White PCE with both an original NEC PSU and original Genesis/Megadrive 1 PSU (which is heavier duty with more current).

Exact same results. So it doesn't appear to be a lack of power or amperage issue.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but I am considering disabling the RGB amp inside the device and just replacing it with a different one. If I do this I will post reaults.

Milspex

n00b
I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but I am considering disabling the RGB amp inside the device and just replacing it with a different one. If I do this I will post reaults.

Perhaps there is some way to have the SSD3 work in conjuction with the dbgrafxbooster, like with a cable interface or something

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
That seems like it would a whole lot of work. Just doing a small amp replacement or even using an internal amp would be simpler.

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
It was also brought up over at Shmups about different power supplies.

So I have tested both my stock Core Grafx and RGB modded White PCE with both an original NEC PSU and original Genesis/Megadrive 1 PSU (which is heavier duty with more current).

Exact same results. So it doesn't appear to be a lack of power or amperage issue.

I made this post on Shmups several days ago but no response.

Can anyone confirm which pin the analog video circuit is referencing for ground?

2xj8wFJ.png

A21/C2 is what the video circuit should be referencing. Not the digital ground at C20. Green arrow is good, red arrow is bad.

Referencing C20/C8 could certainly cause visual distortions in the picture output as far as wavy lines and errors like that are concerned.

As long as your Super CD PCB thingy has good isolation and a reasonable layout, these noise problems aren't a result of pulling video from the expansion connector.

^ The answer to this question will probably address & answer the majority of "noise" issues.

Someone should pull out the old meter and see if all of this analog stuff is using the digital return (gnd). This could be a super easy & quick fix.

The audio circuit as well as the video circuit should reference and only reference the analog grounds.

Last edited:

MobiusStripTech

Mr. Big's Thug
Whenever mine finally shows up I will definitely take a look at which pin it's using. I'm hoping it will show up this week since it left Spain mid last week.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I made this post on Shmups several days ago but no response.

^ The answer to this question will probably address & answer the majority of "noise" issues.

Someone should pull out the old meter and see if all of this analog stuff is using the digital return (gnd). This could be a super easy & quick fix.

The audio circuit as well as the video circuit should reference and only reference the analog grounds.

I just buzzed out ground.

It would appear both Analog AND Digital pins are joined.

So it would appear both Digital and Analog ground are tied together.

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
I just buzzed out ground.

It would appear both Analog AND Digital pins are joined.

So it would appear both Digital and Analog ground are tied together.

Fix those grounds and I bet that most of those issues resolve themselves. Digital stuff is high-speed with a lot of fun pulses. It needs its own reference. Analog should never be tied to that otherwise you'll get residuals.

Super easy fix, more than likely. Just fix the grounds and I bet most of these probz resolve themselves. No biggy.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Fix those grounds and I bet that most of those issues resolve themselves. Digital stuff is high-speed with a lot of fun pulses. It needs its own reference. Analog should never be tied to that otherwise you'll get residuals.

Super easy fix, more than likely. Just fix the grounds and I bet most of these probz resolve themselves. No biggy.

Thank you for not sounding like an entitled douche in your responses. (Not sarcasm, just in case people were reading it wrong.)